PDA

View Full Version : GI for Whole wheat Tortilla?

Ferdo
06-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Anyone know the GI Level for Whole Wheat Tortillas. Im trying to keep my max GI at 60 for all foods.

bradley
06-30-2003, 02:04 PM
http://www.calvin.biochem.usyd.edu.au/GIDB/FMPro?-DB=GIDB2.fp5&-lay=TableView&-Format=referenceD3.htm&FoodID=F1232&-Find

The GI index of the meal would be more important than the GI of each carbohydrate. Fats, protein, fiber would all change the rate at which the foods were digested, which would lower the GI of the meal.

Holto
06-30-2003, 02:19 PM
thats what I was thinking

the things to go in the tortilla are usually low GI

make your goal 60 as the combined average for meals instead

Ironman8
06-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Doesn't white tortillas get converted into glucose more rapidly than wheat?

bradley
06-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

Well the whole wheat tortillas would digest at slower rate because of the fact that they contain more fiber than the white tortillas, so yes I believe you are correct in your assumption.

Berserker
06-30-2003, 06:21 PM
The wheat wraps have less carbs. i was thinking of trying them.

Holto
06-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

I'm guessing you knew this but this is what GI rating is...

and the exact reason why WW has a lower GI then white

Big & Tall
06-30-2003, 09:18 PM
You know, I'm not sure about this GI thing. Certainly it is better to eat oatmeal than Fruity Pebbles for breakfast, but I don't think that the GI or GL for a whole meal is as simple as the averages of the foods in it. Even if you eat a moderate GI carb with a meal, if you have additional fiber from veggies and some healthy fat, it is going to reduce the overall GL in a non-linear fashion, at least from what I have seen. Unfortunately, I haven't ever seen any info on GL's for whole meals instead of individual foods.

In general, I think it is definitely better to stick to whole grains and typical 'clean' foods, but I don't think that eating some slightly higher GI foods will have a big effect on most people.

bradley
07-01-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Big & Tall
You know, I'm not sure about this GI thing. Certainly it is better to eat oatmeal than Fruity Pebbles for breakfast, but I don't think that the GI or GL for a whole meal is as simple as the averages of the foods in it.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33671

There is an informative post by aka23 that relates to your question:)

Even if you eat a moderate GI carb with a meal, if you have additional fiber from veggies and some healthy fat, it is going to reduce the overall GL in a non-linear fashion, at least from what I have seen. Unfortunately, I haven't ever seen any info on GL's for whole meals instead of individual foods.

I agree with what you are saying and that is one of the main problems associated with the GI.

Budiak
07-01-2003, 04:07 AM
Depends on the brand and the ingredients. I've seen 'whole wheat' tortillas that are basically regular tortillas with some wheat flower mixed in, and I've also seen some real whole wheat tortillas that are small and made completely with whole wheat flour and wheat germ. The phony ww tortillas have almost as many carbs as a regular tortilla, but the real ww tortillas have 9 grams of fiber and 3 grams of regular carbs. Yes, the real ww ones are small, but honestly they barely have any ingredients in them, miniscule amounts of sugar, I dont think the GI of the existing carbs could be high at all because its just whole wheat.

So in conclusion, I've not a clue.