PDA

View Full Version : I am lost, please guide me

j. mo
07-01-2003, 11:49 AM
I am 6'3" and I was about 195 before I decided to get cut for the summer. In order to get to 195 (from 175) I a HIGH calorie (5,000 per day) and high protien diet (350 - 400 grams).

Then I decided it was time to get cut. The advice that I recieved was to cut out dairy, carbs after lunch and fats. Since I did that (about 4 weeks ago) I have dropped 10 lbs. I do want to be cut and my old diet left me looking very bloated in the midsection, but I also didn't want to lose all of that weight.

A typical day for me would be something like this:

breakfast: 6 eggs (2 whole, 4 white) and oatmeal (2 packets)
midmorning: Isopure MRP
Lunch: Salad with chicken (1 to 2 breasts) and a granola bar
midafternoon: Isopure MRP
Dinner: 2 - 3 chicken breasts with veggies or salad
before bed: protein shake (like Muscle Milk)

What am I doing wrong? I almost have the six-pack that I wanted, should I just continue and wait until after the summer to put the weight back on?

j. mo:help:

bradley
07-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by j. mo
Then I decided it was time to get cut. The advice that I recieved was to cut out dairy, carbs after lunch and fats. Since I did that (about 4 weeks ago) I have dropped 10 lbs. I do want to be cut and my old diet left me looking very bloated in the midsection, but I also didn't want to lose all of that weight.

Sounds as though you might have cut cals too quickly. There is no reason to cut out carbs after lunch and some fats are essential so I would not recommend just cutting out all fats from your diet.

I would recommend eating 1g per lb. of bw in protein and getting ~25% of you daily cals from fat. Most of your fat should come from healthy sources such as fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, nuts, natural peanute butter, etc. You can fill in the rest of your daily cals with fat, carbs, or protien as it really is not that important once you have made sure that you are getting adequate protein and essential fatty acids (EFAs).

Adjust your calories up or down in small increments until you are losing ~1lb. per week. You might want to incorporate refeeds into your diet if you are ~15% bf or lower. The link below will provide some good info on refeeds and you can also run a search in this forum:)

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

A typical day for me would be something like this:

breakfast: 6 eggs (2 whole, 4 white) and oatmeal (2 packets)
midmorning: Isopure MRP
Lunch: Salad with chicken (1 to 2 breasts) and a granola bar
midafternoon: Isopure MRP
Dinner: 2 - 3 chicken breasts with veggies or salad
before bed: protein shake (like Muscle Milk)

Are the midmorning and afternoon snacks just whey powder in water? If so I would add either some fat or carbs in order to slow the digestion of the whey, or you could mix the powder in milk which would work as well. Whey digests too rapidly to be used by itself other than post workout.

BennettBoy
07-01-2003, 06:58 PM
There is nothing more really to be said.

bradley summed it up perfectly.

j. mo
07-01-2003, 07:26 PM
BRADLEY>>>>Thanks for the pithy reply. It really helped me draw the obvious conclusion>>> I AM NOT EATING ENOUGH. I think that the key to the whole thing is that the midmorning and midafternoon shakes are MRPs, but are mostly water and whey (and are only 300 calories). My guess is that adding more calories, either in the form of milk or fats (nuts or Omega-3 tabs) would add calories.

THANKS>>>>j. mo

bradley
07-02-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by j. mo
My guess is that adding more calories, either in the form of milk or fats (nuts or Omega-3 tabs) would add calories.

Omega 3s are an excellent idea, and eating a few nuts with the whey shakes would help slow the digestion a bit.:)