PDA

View Full Version : help on grip

cphafner
07-01-2003, 12:26 PM
I need some serious help on my grip. I can move decent weight(405 deads), but I can't do it without straps. I feel that I am way too dependent on my straps. I was thinking maybe static holds? Thought some of you powerlifters would have some thoughts. Thanks.
CP

PowerManDL
07-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Two best bets are doing deadlifts for higher reps (8-10) and static holds.

Budiak
07-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Use chalk, first off.

Second, static holds and even hub pinches once or twice a week will build your grip up quite well.

When I do static holds, I do a warmup of like 15 seconds, then I increase weight and go for 25 seconds and then increase a weight again and go 35-50 seconds or so. Its an exercise in endurance and intensity, just don't let go of the dumbells. Owwie!

kook
07-01-2003, 06:44 PM
i take a barbell, 135lbs, grab it in the middle with one hand, stand up straight and hold on for dear life, tryin to keep that thing balanced has improved my grip quite a bit

chris mason
07-01-2003, 06:45 PM
There are so many things. Herman Goerner, one of the stongest drug free deadlifters ever used an interesting technique. He would train with deadlifts 3 times per week when he was training for the exercise (for a contest or exhibition). He would rotate 12 different variations over 3 days. The variations would range from 1 finger deadlifts to standard reverse grip deads. He would train 4 variations per day over the 3 days. So, day one might be 1 finger (of each hand) deadlifts followed by 2 finger followed by a hook style (using only the 1st joint of the fingers---he would form a "hook" using just the very ends of his fingers). The next day might mix one hand deadlifts using various finger combinations. He would only hit the conventional style (and thus maximal weights) once per weeks. The other styles obviously used lighter weights to do the trick. He did not train to failure.

In any event, he had amazing grip and forearm power and this was one of the ways he got it.

PowerManDL
07-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Holy ****.....that sounds awesome.

I'm gonna have to start trying some of that.

Meat_Head
07-01-2003, 11:47 PM
One finger deadlifts are insane for grip, as are one hand deadlifts. Static holds, gripping a rubber ball, odd object lifts, thick bar lifting, reverse curling thick bars, pinch gripping, and captain of crush grippers are other ways of building your grip strength and pushing ure hands, fingers, and forearms to supreme development :)

benchmonster
07-02-2003, 10:51 AM
These guys gave great advice. Goerner was the man.

B.

cphafner
07-02-2003, 10:44 PM
thanks for the thoughts guys. I think I'm gonna give static holds a shot. And I will also try the higher rep deads w/chalk. Do you guys prefer bar or db static holds?

PowerManDL
07-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Don't even bother with dumbells. Unless you can load up 300+ lbs worth of dumbells, its not worth the time.

the doc
07-03-2003, 11:58 AM
trap bar is ace for static holds since you cannot rest it on your legs or use the friction of your cloths/skin

Meat_Head
07-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by the doc
trap bar is ace for static holds since you cannot rest it on your legs or use the friction of your cloths/skin

Very true. If you have access to one use it ALOT.

MixmasterNash
07-03-2003, 02:06 PM
In addition to the above ideas (I love static holds as well):

(1) Find the biggest diameter bar you can. Seriously thick bars are rare in most gyms though.
(2) Wrap the bar with a towel or something to create an even larger bar.
(3) Rock climb. Seriously. It's fun, and soon your grip will be way stronger than the rest of you.

Sybersnott
11-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Don't even bother with dumbells. Unless you can load up 300+ lbs worth of dumbells, its not worth the time.

Oh really? What's wrong with heavy DB's? If you load them up real heavy... they can build your grip. It's like loading up a heavy barbell and picking it up.

I once made a 175 pound DB using some standard plates and a bar - it was a challenge DB. I could pick it up with either hand... a good friend of mine couldn't pick it up using both of his hands. :)

Isaac Wilkins
11-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Oh really? What's wrong with heavy DB's? If you load them up real heavy... they can build your grip. It's like loading up a heavy barbell and picking it up.

I once made a 175 pound DB using some standard plates and a bar - it was a challenge DB. I could pick it up with either hand... a good friend of mine couldn't pick it up using both of his hands. :)

It was an old post, but that's what he meant. He was indicating that unless one can find some DB's with some heft to them (150+), then it's probably not worth the effort to do a lot of grip stuff. Of course, that depends on how strong one is to start, but most gyms start to run out of DB's at 100 or so and thus one can quickly run out of DB's.

ovlifter
11-03-2005, 09:34 AM
u can check out diesalcrew.com u should find what u r lookin for
also Jim Wendler has just wrote a great article on elite fitness about grip and how to improve it u should cheack it out

Sybersnott
11-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Jim Wendler has just wrote a great article on elite fitness about grip and how to improve it u should cheack it out

What's the link to that article??

ovlifter
11-07-2005, 06:51 AM
just go to elitefts.com and click on articles at the top of the menu and its the 6th article from the top its called how to strengthen rosie and her five friends. hope this helps

Sybersnott
11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
just go to elitefts.com and click on articles at the top of the menu and its the 6th article from the top its called how to strengthen rosie and her five friends. hope this helps

Better yet... Click Here! (www.elitefts.com/documents/rosie.htm) :hello:

D Breyer
11-07-2005, 07:27 PM
great article... thanks!

ovlifter
11-08-2005, 06:14 AM
thats true it is a strange title but its jim wendler wat do u expect. just kiddin i have known jim for a while now from liftin at westside he has givin me very benificial advice in the past. jims a great guy

MixmasterNash
11-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Hmmm. I don't really like that article. I don't think that plate pinches, grippers, or hex holds are useful ways to build appreciable bar gripping strength.

Thick bar gripping, farmers walks, and rack pulls will do so much more, imo, to the point where it's almost useless to train those other grip styles.

Sybersnott
11-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Hmmm. I don't really like that article. I don't think that plate pinches, grippers, or hex holds are useful ways to build appreciable bar gripping strength.

Thick bar gripping, farmers walks, and rack pulls will do so much more, imo, to the point where it's almost useless to train those other grip styles.

I hear ya. It depends all on what type of grip you're wanting to improve on.

With improving your DL strength, you're right... thick bars and thick-handled DB's RULE. However, don't neglect your crush as well - that's where things like the grippers and grip machines come in nicely.

If you train one OR the other exclusively -- you're doing yourself a disservice in total grip strength IMO. BTW, in the article, the device he is talking about is called the Titan's Telegraph Key, for building up your thumb strength.