PDA

View Full Version : Odd Journal

wordodd
07-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Tuesday July 1st

Stats - 22 yrs old
175 lbs.
BF% - unknown, need suggestions on what type of measurement tool I should get and where to get it from to be able to determine this.

Leg Day

Squat 195x6 245 x 6

Leg Press 270 x6 340 x 6

Leg Extension 140 x 8 160 x 6

Leg Curl 110 x 8 130 x6

Stand Calf Raise 260 x 10 300 x 10

Seated Calf Raise 160 x 10 180 x 6

Cardio - 35 mins Eliptical Trainer Medium Intensity HR avg. 140

This is my first journal ever so I will try to get in the habit of writing in it. Later today I will post my diet, goals etc. etc. As always suggestions to my routine, diet and goals are always welcome.

Odd

Scott S
07-01-2003, 12:56 PM
w00t! Me first! :spam:

As far as body fat is concerned, once you get good with a set of calipers, you can get some decent measurements.

Definitely post your diet on here. Good luck!

aka23
07-01-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by wordodd
BF% - unknown, need suggestions on what type of measurement tool I should get and where to get it from to be able to determine this.

It depends what you want to use the bf measure for. If you want to track changes and measure progress then I would recommend skin callipers. They are inexpensive and provide the consistent measure necessary to track changes. You might be able to get tested for free at your gym. Every gym that I have been a member at (24 Hour Fitness , Golds, and College Gym) has offered these skin calliper tests at no additonal cost. They can also be purchased online. Try typing 'fat calipers' or a similar phrase into a search engine to find sellers. You can probably get a good set for about $20.

A skin calliper test is only as accurate as the forumula you use. Each formula tends to overestimate or underestimate certain groups. The Jackson-Pollock 3-site (chest,abs,thigh) is one of the most common ones. It tends to underestimate totals in younger weightlifters. When I measure my body fat, I take the median of seven formulas using an Excel spreadsheet. This spreadsheet does the calculations automatically after you type in the skin fold measures. You can download the spreadsheet at http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=493036&highlight=jacksonpollock#post493036 . Save it to your computer by right-clicking.

Skin callipers may underestimate your bf by a significant degree, depending on the formula you use. If you are really serious about getting an accurate measure, rather than tracking changes, then I would recommend underwater weighing. They offer this at my gym a couple times per month. It also may be possible at local universities.

Good luck with your goals.

wordodd
07-01-2003, 09:29 PM
First off more about my training history.
I have been lifting since March 2003 with the original goal of just losing 40 pounds( I was weighing in around 230). When those pounds came off I lost another 15 and got to where I am now. During those first four months I was taking an ECA stack and doing 1+ hours of cardio in addition to moderate weight training with WBB routine #2. Now I am in the process of getting a new routine together and putting on some muscle. That brings me to my new goals section. They are as follows...

Goals
Bodyfat % between 6-7%
Weight ~180 -185 with a lowered bf%
Bench over 200 (current max is ~180)

I don't know why I care what I bench but it would just be nice to be able to do 200 with ease, I have never been able to do more then 150.

I got some calipers(they are kinda crappy but my mom had some old ones she didn't use anymore so when I went to see her today I got them to make due till I found some good ones to order. Please suggest a specific kinda, digital or old school whichever is fine just something that works. With the calipers and aka23's spreadsheet(BTW I am extremly honored you read my journal aka, you were my inspiration in starting one) my body fat came out to be between 9 and 11% which I am not sure is correct. I need some practice or maybe someone can break down exactly how you take each measurement more so than the spreadsheet does.

Diet for today so far consists of
10oz grilled chicken
10oz turkey (sliced deli style)
1 oz Special K with Red Berries
1 Optimum Nutrtition shake with two scoops of powder and water
2 cups skim milk

This totals up to only:
1428 cals 39g fat 59g carbs 230g protien
which is probably not enough even to be cutting which I guess is what I am doing. I need variety and suggestions and of course more time to eat. Should I keep on with a CKD diet or should I just try to get a good ratio of macronutrients rather then trying to keep carbs low?

I guess thats all the info I have right now. Tomorrow is a cardio/ab day I will post after my workout to let everyone know how it went.
Thanks for all the help and input so far
ODD

wordodd
07-01-2003, 10:23 PM
I just wanted to type out my proposed workout ideas and let people tell me if they are good or bad or whatever as always suggetions welcome...

Split goes like this
Chest/Tri/Shoulders - Legs - Back/Biceps

Day 1
Chest
Incline DB Press
Flat DB Press
Decline BB Bench

Tris
Dips
Pulldowns
Skullcrushers

Shoulers
OH Press
Lateral Raises(Raising Dumbells out to make a T with my body and arms supersetted with raising my arms in front of me)

Day 2 - OFF DAY(for me cardio for 1.5 hours) and some ab work

Day 3
Legs
Squats
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Abduction and Adduction Leg machines

Day 4 - more cardio 1.5 - 2 hours maybe some more ab work

Day 5
Back
Deads
T-Bar Row
Seated Row
Pulldowns(you know the bar over your head pulled down behind your neck machine)

Bi's
Hammer Curls
DB Preacher Curls
BB Curls (with EZ Curl Bar)

Day 6 Cardio Cardio Cardio (can't get enough cardio)

Day 7 OFF(SLEEP)

aka23
07-02-2003, 04:48 AM
(BTW I am extremly honored you read my journal aka, you were my inspiration in starting one)

Thanks for the compliments.

This totals up to only:
1428 cals 39g fat 59g carbs 230g protien
which is probably not enough even to be cutting which I guess is what I am doing. I need variety and suggestions and of course more time to eat. Should I keep on with a CKD diet or should I just try to get a good ratio of macronutrients rather then trying to keep carbs low?

I would suggest setting calories such that you are losing weight at the desired rate and ignoring any type of forumula. 1428 sounds a bit low for someone your size. I do not think the type of diet and macronutrient ratio makes much difference so long as your a getting adequate protein, adequate EFAs, and enought carbs to fuel your workouts and promote anabolism. You could do this with either with a CKD or a balanced diet. I am biased somewhat in favor of a balanced diet, but you should decide what system works best for your body and produces the best personal results.

I just wanted to type out my proposed workout ideas and let people tell me if they are good or bad or whatever as always suggetions welcome...
Tris
Dips
Pulldowns
Skullcrushers
Day 2 - OFF DAY(for me cardio for 1.5 hours) and some ab work
Day 4 - more cardio 1.5 - 2 hours maybe some more ab work

The rountine looks pretty nice. I suspect you mistyped pushdowns as pulldowns during the Triceps workout. 1.5+ hours of cardio seems excessive, espcecially for someone on a low carb diet. This combination might encourage catabolism, unless the exercsise was very low intensity. Volume may be a bit high, depending on number of sets. A calf and/or trap exercise might also be beneficial.

wordodd
07-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the info and suggestions everyone.

Workout Log 7/2/03
Cardio Day

Sleep - 7 hours

Woke up and ate some Special K with Red Berries to get some carbs into my system. Does anyone know if this is a good cereal or not? It seems decent compared to the sugary junk most cereal is.

Drank some creatine mixed with powdered fruit punch gatorade to get some more carbs during my workout, I am under the impression that powdered gatorade is better then the premade stuff but once again any input would be helpful.

Workout -

Biking - Low intensity 120-130 avg. heart rate for 30 mins

Elliptical Trainer - Med intensity 130 - 140 avg heart rate for 35 mins.

Ab crunch machine 120 lbs. - 2 sets 12 reps
Ab Twist machine 65 lbs. - 2 sets 10 reps

Overall a pretty quick workout, my legs are kinda sore from yesterdays leg work so I wasn't really feeling it today. Not too bad for a cardio day, the machine claimed I burned over 500 cals.

I'm trying to get my cals up today to about 1800 - 2000 with a carb intake of 100 - 200 g shouldn't be too much trouble with the cereal this morning.

Anyway that's all for today, tomorrow is my first BI/BACK day and I'm still working out all the exercises I want to do.

Also I'm about to take another shot at skinfold measure so I will include those numbers in my next post along with measures of my arm, waist, abdomn, thigh and calf maybe someone can let me know with those measurements if I am doing the caliper thing properly.

ODD

wordodd
07-02-2003, 02:40 PM
OK here are my measurements with bf calipers
Chest 4mm
Abdomen 8mm
Thigh 6mm
Triceps 4mm
Biceps 3mm
Subscapular 8mm
Suprailliac 8mm
Axilla 7mm
Sex male (male/female)
Age = 23 years
Weight = 174 lbs

And here are the results
Results Summary
Average % Body Fat 5.8%
Deviation of % Body Fat 0.8%
Median % Body Fat 5.9%
Fat weight (average) 10.1 lb
Lean weight (average) 163.9 lb

Here are the diff. formula results
JP-7 JP-3 Pa-3 L-3 ??-4 FS-4 S-2
45 18 16 20 27
1.08690922 1.0890976 1.0872985 1.08526 1.08388 1.085858
5.4 4.5 5.3 6.1 6.7 6.7 5.9

Hopefully that came out right
If measurements of my body would help here they are
Bicep 14 1/4"
Waist 33"
Abdomen 30"
Calf 16"
Forearm - 12"
Height - 72" (6')
Let me know if the bodyfat % seems right somehow i doubt it is but those are the numbers i get using the calipers I have

ODD

wordodd
07-03-2003, 01:20 PM
THURSDAY JULY 3 2003
Sleep - 6.5 hours

Back

Deadlifts -
135 x 8 (warmup)
165 x 6
195 x 4

Behind the Back Pulldowns
125 x 8
137.5 x 6
150 x 2

Seated Cable Row
100 x 8
125 x 6
150 x 4

Shrugs
70 x 6
70 x 6
70 x 8

Biceps

Barbell Curls (EZ Curl Bar)
65 x 8
75 x 6
85 x 4

Standing Hammer Curl
30 x 8
40 x 5
40 x 6

Cybex Arm Curl Machine
60 x 10
70 x 8

Cardio - 10 mins on the Elliptical Trainer approx 1 mile Avg Hr 130

Comments - Weightlifting was fine but just not in the mood for cardio today, didnt really get much quality sleep so I guess thats why. The gym is closed tomorrow, stupid 4th of July holiday.

ODD

wordodd
07-07-2003, 08:33 PM
ARgh...been really sick for the last 2 days so that makes 3 days in a row of no lifting, no cardio and not eating well at all. If anything those three combined has made me feel worse. My girlfriend has the same summer cold kinda thing that I do so we have both been in bed doing nothing but sleep(very very boring grin) and eating junk food like pizza and 7-11 crap. Hopefully, tomorrow I will wake up reenergized and get my lazy ass back in the gym.

Odd

Scott S
07-07-2003, 08:47 PM
So your bodyfat turned out to be 6% and you're cutting??

Looks to me like its time to BULK!!

Mik
07-07-2003, 08:51 PM
You may want to cut down the volume on arms. Just my $0.02 but I've found that 3-5 sets of direct arm work yielded much better results vs. when I did higher volume. You may also want to consider upping the fats (EFAs). Just my suggestions for whatever they're worth. Good luck!

wordodd
07-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Whew exhausting ten days..sick for about 5 of them, then a crappy weekend at work finally finishing up with my 23rd birthday on sunday.. all in all a really lame string of excuses not to go to the gym, but on monday I finally got back into it.

Chest and Tris

Chest
Decline BB Bench
135 x 8
155 x 8
185 x 3

Incline DB Press(total of 2 DBS is the given weight)
120 x 8
130 x 8
130 x 4

Triceps

Dips
Body Weight x 10
Body Weight + 25 x 10

Pull downs
One arm
50 x 8
60 x 8

Both Arms
100 x 8
120 x 6

And thats it...I was definitly not at peak performance levels on monday but I rested today for my Back/BIs day so hopefully tommorrow will be better. I am interested in finding out more about HIT training and I need to get my diet back in order...

ODD

wordodd
07-17-2003, 09:47 AM
OK wanted to do back first but there were so many little kids around the gym it wasnt possible so I started today with BIs which I think messed some of my wieghts up.

Wednesday July 16th
Sleep 8 hours

Biceps

Barbell Curls (EZ CURL Bar)
75 x 8
85 x 8
90 x 2 (failure)

***Started ten pounds higher then last week and ended the last set 5 pounds better then I have lifted before, low reps though)

Standing Hammer Curls
45 x 7
45 x 7

***5 lbs better then last week

Cybex Arm Curl Machine

80 x 8

***Ten pounds better then last week, could have gone up more but didn't want to do another set since I had already done 6 sets bicep specific work

Back
Deadlifts

185 x 5
195 x 5
200 x 4( Failure)

Best DL set ever prolly could have done more had I done this first

Behind the Back Pulldown

137.5 x 6
150 x 2

Same as last week just no warmup set

Seated Cable ROw
125 x 6
150 x 4

Same again as last week w/o the warmup set

DB Shrugs
160(total db weight) x 6

Grip was about to go on this one so I called it quits. I really wish I had done back first, prolly would have gotten more PRS on the back stuff but almost all my lifts improved even after being sick for a week. I am really excitied to see how legs day goes on Friday

ODD

wordodd
02-02-2004, 11:31 AM
TIME TO START THIS AGAIN...check back for more info if youre interested.