PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Basics

the doc
07-01-2003, 02:13 PM
It's the end of an era. Mass and Strength, my old journal, has been retired. My goals in mass and strength were met in some respects, and not in others. I certainly increased mass over time, and strength as well. I increased my legs to over 27 inches, and definitely increased back, chest and arm size. Strength gains were not to bad, but then again that was not the primary goal (hence mass and strength and not strength and mass ;) )

I spent a fair amount of money on supps - multi vits, other vits and min, protein powder, creatine, 1test to mention a few (including some grey area products which i got to use once...lol... but that is a story for another day). A confluence of events has caused me to totally rethink why i exercise and lift. Sometimes we, i mean lifters in general, get so caught up in the quest for size and strength that we lose sight of our original reason for starting to exercise. Well that certainly happened to me. I have been addicted to strength gains, but not so much so that i was beyond the line of no return.

It is time to move on, and set new goals.

One of the most sobering things that happened to me recently was that i went though my closet, sorting what dress clothes i could wear. I had a variety of pants in the 32-35 waist range. Virtually none of these pants fit me in the legs and less than half fit in the waist. I dont have a whole lot of money, and buying a new wardrobe, when I have a bunch of pants in the 34 waist size that would easily fit if i would lose a little of the waistline.

Thus my new goals are purely on the fat loss side of things. An old fashioned cut. No supps, no drugs, nothing but the basics: eat, sleep, lift, cardio.

I am going to really lower volume of workouts, following a scheme I devised with the help of mason some time ago.

Diet will not be very specific except to meet a couple of requirments. I need at least 200 g protein/day and no more than 150 g carbs on none lifting days. Something must be eaten every 4 hours. Cals will be between 2500-3500 depending on activity level and hunger pains. total daily caloric needs are somewhere between 4000-4500 (fitday). Aiming to lose 1-2 lbs per week.
I am tracking daily food intake on fitday.com

WillKuenzel
07-01-2003, 02:16 PM
:spam:

Good luck with it! Where do you think you are going to want to go from here?

the doc
07-01-2003, 06:50 PM
howdy HY, thanks for the honorary :spam:

I edited above, maybe that'll help

McBain
07-01-2003, 08:05 PM

hows the truck?

how often will you be doing cardio?

what does this scheme look liek?>

the doc
07-01-2003, 08:34 PM
workout will be centered around the idea of maintaining as much strength as i currently have. Mass will obviously decrease, but as long as i can keep strength up I would be happy

Low volume with plenty of rest. chest, arms, and shoulders, 2 set per body part. 3 sets for back. First set is 2-3 reps and is to develop and maintain strength. Second set will be in the 8-10 rep range to keep as much mass as possible. Legs are the exception, performing 1 set of 20 rep breathing squats

day 1

Chest/shoulders/back

incline DB or BB press (20 degree)
OH press machine
cable row
lat pulldown

day 2 and 3
20-30 min cardio both days; rest

day 4

arms and abs

EZ curls
BB skulls
ab work (4 sets -variable)

day 5 and 6
cardio on day 5; rest

day 7

legs

1 set trap bar deads
1 set deep, narrow squats (20 rep breathing)

day 8 and 9
rest, cardio day 9

the doc
07-01-2003, 08:35 PM
25 min HIIT cardio tonight

Franjipani
07-02-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by the doc
Thus my new goals are purely on the fat loss side of things. An old fashioned cut. No supps, no drugs, nothing but the basics: eat, sleep, lift, cardio.

Ahhh back to basics.....the ole tried and tested method eh??:D.

Good luck with your goals doc....ohh and just for you.....

:hump:

ElPietro
07-02-2003, 09:15 AM
hehe, I feel like fattening up again for the same reasons Mark. :D

the doc
07-02-2003, 07:52 PM
workout arms and abs

EZ curls 110x3 + 1 FR, 90 x8 + 2 FR
superset with
BB skulls 100x 2 + 1 FR, 80x8 + 2 FR

Ab work, a varitey of ab exercises performed until i could not consider another crunch...lol

weight is coming down already. I love it :)

diet stats
cals fat carb protein
2662 109 210 207

saturated fat is just to high right now... that needs to come down real quick

also, anyone that want to try, I recommend fitday.com to tranck your diet and activity

very useful

Frozenmoses
07-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Grats on the weightloss! Do you have a specific number you're shooting for on weight, or just going until you feel satisfied?

the doc
07-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Mcbain, i forgot to mention to check out the workout scheme and i will post diet stats (but not individual foods) for each day

Franji... yes girl, time to get back to my roots. Lift to be strong and healthy. Being healthy requires me to concentrate a little less on the mass part, and more on keeping a lower bf% and maintaining cardiovascular health... oh and :hump:
;)

LP... lmao!

the doc
07-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Ok the diet basic are this. Currently my diet is basicly isocaloric, sometimes a bit more on the fat.

I am eating whole foods, but i need to cut out the red meat a little more to bring down the amount of satd fat

I am tracking my diet on fitday.

I will continue to experiment on the diet compostion, but right now i am striving to stay below 100 g of carbs on non workout days and below 200 on workout days. Trying to eat them around lifting or cardio sessions.

Also I will have 1 cheat day per week :D

Any deviations from this formula will be noted by editing this post

the doc
07-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Frozenmoses
Grats on the weightloss! Do you have a specific number you're shooting for on weight, or just going until you feel satisfied?
thanks moses

my goal is simple. I need to start fitting in my size 34 pants, since i cant afford to buy a new wardrobe...lol

This will require losing some muscle mass, but it will be worth while for my long term health as well

the doc
07-03-2003, 11:38 AM
damn had a slight diet fuk up today, ate 3 pizza slices (cheese) for lunch. Must be moderate in food intake for the rest of the day. Also I have cardio planned for this evening :)

diet totals for the day were not so bad
cals fat carb pro
2175 67 231 166

carbs were way to high for a non workout day, but overall cals were low. Protein was a bit low, but not to bad.

the doc
07-04-2003, 08:26 AM
no cardio last evening but threw in 25 min of HIIT elliptical this morning :)

PowerManDL
07-04-2003, 12:07 PM
hahaha bro great work bro, seriously bro.

:cool::cool:

the doc
07-05-2003, 10:19 PM
thanks powermanDLbro, you're the coolest bro man bro

went to visit my parents on fri and sat
still have a free pass to the new gym so i helped my mom learn some new free weight techniques and also helped her on form and tempo on the cybex circuit

I myself have been working on squat form today. In between helping my mom exercise, i tried out some different stances and foot placements and was able to get some nice deep squats. the deepest i have ever done. I was only working with 115 doing sets of 5 so i'll be going back to my home gym and working on some more technique

the doc
07-07-2003, 07:21 PM
since my gf wanted to go to the gym, and I wanted to exercise in general (I was going to do some HIIT anyway)

instead i made a HIIT workout out of some power cleans (short rest period)
did 3 sets of 5 at 115 and 2 sets of 5 at 135
finished up with some calf raises

damn good day. no fit day today, but i believe i'm right around 2800

rookiebldr
07-07-2003, 10:04 PM
hey, I found your new journal ... well, I should say you shot it up to the top so I could see it. ;)

Good luck with the goals but I'm with lp, adding mass is fun. grey market stuff ...cool. Thought we wouldn't notice?

the doc
07-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
hey, I found your new journal ... well, I should say you shot it up to the top so I could see it. ;)

Good luck with the goals but I'm with lp, adding mass is fun. grey market stuff ...cool. Thought we wouldn't notice?
heh heh

Relentless
07-08-2003, 10:49 AM
:fart:
a little present for your new journal

the doc
07-09-2003, 10:27 PM
thanks cal, but *whew* somebody open a window around here!

i just wanted to note for the record that those powercleans i performed a few days ago have my WHOLE body sore as bloody hell!!

man i may have to find a way to sneak them in on a regular basis for some good anerobic HIIT type work

Delphi
07-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Good luck on the cut. Looks like Cal's already cut one for you.

FitDay's great. I started using it this weekend. I haven't tried calculating my expenditures yet.

Cutting fat below 30% is kind of tough if you're going to keep protein up to the levels you're looking at. I had a grilled salmon today and it's still 42% cals from fat. The only way I can see to get fat down near 20% of cals is to eat a bunch of pinto beans and take whey powder. Got any other suggestions?

Oh, and :spam:

the doc
07-10-2003, 08:53 AM
well larry i am fronkly more concerned with total calories currently. I am from the more carb sensitive population (as evidenced by my grandpa's type II diabetis) and tend to gain weight and bloat rather rapidly on higher carb diets. I also experience more intense hunger cravings on higher carb diets.

As far as fat goes, I just try to keep the saturated fats low, and eliminate all sources of trans fats (which also helps to ensure clean eating). One thing i would suggest, as you mentioned is to incorperate more protein drinks. These are very low fat. Limit eating to things like chicken breast, and tuna (which have very low fat content). Stay away from ground meat, since even the "lean" still contains a lot of fat per gram of protein. Very lean cuts of steak however, are lower in fat (although a high % comes from satd fat) but most people do not like them since they are usually the tougher cuts.

ElPietro
07-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Hey PAB, you coming up for august 1st weekend?

WillKuenzel
07-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by the doc
i just wanted to note for the record that those powercleans i performed a few days ago have my WHOLE body sore as bloody hell!!

man i may have to find a way to sneak them in on a regular basis for some good anerobic HIIT type work

I love powercleans. I would usually toss them in on weeks where I was squating and replace deads with them in hopes to conserve my lower back. They're definitely one of the best movements.

the doc
07-10-2003, 08:28 PM
LP- hey yeah I'm not 100 % sure yet. Will depend on if the woman was still planning to be away that weekend, which she is now not sure about

HY- THey are great, but I am not sure about my form. Perhaps next time i do em I'll try to take a movie so i can have it critiqued
My back is pretty sore also, but i had just performed squats two days earlier

ElPietro
07-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Well you could bring her along if you wanted to. So far everyone seems to be crammed into my place, but I think there are hotel vouchers available for a room that haven't been taken advantage of.

rookiebldr
07-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Doc, are you a vacation? Time to lift something, anything!!!!!!

As for TO, it would be great to see you back up here using our funny money. We even dropped the cent back down so you could by more this month.

the doc
07-21-2003, 08:34 PM
howdy everyone! I live again :D
:hello:

Well I was on vacation at the beach last week, didn't have much time to get online, nor did i get to workout much. Did manage to get in some cardio however at the hotels :)

ALso, i wont get to come up in jan. for sure now. I actually talked to my GF and she was interested to go and we had basicly decided to go, but my sister just called me today and wants to visit and really wants to see my place and i havent seen her in a long time. Hopefully she and I can come up around the new years again :)

Started off the week on sunday with a good round of elliptical for 30 min followed by my circuit style workout

DB bench
OH press
machine row
lat pulldown
tri pulldown
cable curl
ab cruch

10-12 reps per exercise
went through this circuit 3 x and each was well short of failure
i used ~ 2 min rest in between circuits, and about 10-15 sec in between exercises (just long enough to get set)

Today I worked legs with liquid sister

she is throwing up 65 on full squats (just below parallel) for sets of 5 and finished with some calf raises.

I started the day with some explosive powercleans

135 x5 , x5, x5, x6

The last set was to failure. I love these. I had real explosive forceon both the legs and trap contractions. I actually had some air time (lol!) on the way up

Followed them with some true ass to the floor squats.
A while back i dropped the wieght, adjusted my stance and form (which allowed me significantly more flexibility) and go really low. Way past parallel

135 x 17 (2 asst'd)

Breathing style. Past failure
damn near puked afterwards

weight is down ~8-10 lbs :thumbup:

the doc
07-22-2003, 09:03 PM
played softball for two hours tonight

1 hour of umpiring and 1 hour of active playing
body is trashed... that is all

ElPietro
07-22-2003, 09:19 PM
How old is your sister? :angel:

:evillaugh

the doc
07-23-2003, 04:59 PM
hey!
:swear:

the doc
07-24-2003, 09:27 PM
2 hrs of HIIT softball tonight. Damn it we are playing really well but have won a game yet :swear:

ElPietro
07-25-2003, 06:58 AM
Dude, I don't think you can count softball as exercise.

So are you, your girl, and your sister coming up? If she just wants to visit, better here than there anyway.

the doc
07-27-2003, 10:11 PM
lmao LP! We play some serious softball, lot of running :D

Looks like we'll have to try for some time around new years like we did last year :)

cutting update. Fatloss has slowed a bit the last week. I was traveling on the road a lot so diet was challenging to maintain. However, we're back on track. Checked today and I'm still ~7 lbs down. Just want to keep a slow steady pace over the summer.

Workouts are going well. Still holding strength. WOrked out yesterday

BB bench
95x7, 135x4, 185x1
225x2 + 1 FR
195x7 + 2FR
-no gloves just chalk. Works well :)
- holding here although set felt very strong, I think i have three in me for next time

cable rows
70x10, 110x6,
180x2+1, 150x7 +2

pulldowns 130x6, 225x7, dropset- 230x6 ->170x5 ->110x10

OH press 80x4, 150x7, 180x4 + 2 FR

ONe of the worlds strongest men, Phil Pfister was working out in my gym. It is a small gym and i was like 15 feet from him the whole time. He is a big MOFO!

the doc
07-27-2003, 10:12 PM
Oh and today i put in 25 min HIIT eliptical and 3 giant sets on the above outlined circuit. reps were held around 12 for each exercise. Feels like a damn good workout

the doc
07-30-2003, 09:20 PM
25 min hiit cardio followed by circuit HIIT wieght training
8 excersices, 12-16 reps (still ending short of failure)

went through the circuit twice.

the doc
08-01-2003, 08:29 AM
2 hours of softball last night... we won our first game, 20 - 5, with 20 runs you can imagine i did quite a bit of running last night :)

Also, i noticed i forgot to post my arm workout from tuesday... will do that tonight

the doc
08-12-2003, 09:06 PM
*raises journal from purgatory*

I have been working out... fat loss has slowed and I need to reaccess diet. Reduce carbs a bit more and keep up with cardio regimen

30 elliptical tonight

arms tomorrow

McBain
08-13-2003, 01:15 AM
hey whats up doc?

anyway i have an friend in teh army and he says elliptical walkers are no good but i still use them, what are your thoughts?

the doc
08-13-2003, 02:45 PM
howdy Mcbain!

I see no problem with elliptical. IMO, it is a very benificial and low impact form of cardio. Why dont you ask him what is reasoning is behind his claim.

the doc
09-05-2003, 07:02 PM
worked out for the first time in 3 weeks

at least i've dropped to a constant 225 during the last of the softball season

have a groin pull and fukked up knee so i had to modify leg workout. No suatting type movement (groin) and leg curls (left knee)

so i did some modest leg extensions and SLDLs

damn... gonna be a tough restart.

I am dedicated however. THings will settle out in my personal life i a couple of weeks and I can refocus on getting back to the basics

rookiebldr
09-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Damn, bad break Mark. Get better soon will ya.

the doc
09-09-2003, 06:55 AM
thanks jeff!

Had a good back workout last night. DIdn't have my spotter with me so instead of pushing past failure, I performed higher volume just short of failure with the last set up to failure

cables
cybex pulldowns
shrugs

10 set total, followed by 15 min on the tready at medium pace

ElPietro
09-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Stop pulling your groin pervert. tuttut

the doc
09-10-2003, 06:55 AM
LP... um yeah :D

30 min ellitical followed by some light recovery work

the doc
09-11-2003, 08:45 PM
worked arms and abs hard last night

a bit higher on the volume but not all sets to failure.

i'm experiementing a bit with periodizing the failure training

carolinagirl
09-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Just spam, because I'm glad that you're alive and posting again! :)

the doc
09-14-2003, 01:49 PM
was able to work legs today

squat, still cant - groin and l. knee

leg press - worked up to 470 over 4 sets. ran (470 x 8) x 5

copious amounts of stretching afterwards

the doc
09-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by carolinagirl
Just spam, because I'm glad that you're alive and posting again! :)

Hooray!
:clap:

ElPietro
02-03-2004, 09:34 AM
I see you yapping on the site, but where's the training!

ectx
02-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Good to see you back in here doc. I found myself doing the "nothing fits" bit not long ago, so I'm right there with you on the weightloss goal. How's postgraduate life treatin' you?

oh yeah...

Relentless
02-03-2004, 11:27 AM
was able to work legs today

squat, still cant - groin and l. knee

leg press - worked up to 470 over 4 sets. ran (470 x 8) x 5

copious amounts of stretching afterwards

it's good that you're posting workouts

but the content is crap.

Give us more details, man! Let us see the progress and the failure, the pain and the gain! We want drama dammit!!!

:D