PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions from a beginner

ck2k1
07-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Hello,

I recently started this summer lifting again seriously. I lifted last fall and spring while at school, but I didnt eat the best of foods (typical college student) and drank moderate amounts of alcohol. Anyways, I am skinny in my arms and legs (calves) espicially, but I have somewhat of a gut and a too much fat on my chest. I hate having fat on my chest, and I'd like to develop my pecks. Currently I work outside during the day lifting moderatley heavy objects and I walk somewhere around 5 miles all during an 8 hour shift. Then I go and lift and do cardio for about 1 hour and 15 mins Tues, Thurs and Sun. I am currently taking a Whey supplement and have been for about 4 weeks. So far I'v e noticed minimal results in my chest area, but I wanna be CUT there, not have flabby projectiles sticking out. What am I doing wrong? What can I improve on? Thanks a ton.

Height : 6' 3"
Weight : 170

-Chris

Ritzol
07-01-2003, 11:32 PM
I would lift more than 3 days a week for one. And secondly, it's not going to happen overnight..... it does take time. So what're you doing wrong? Probably nothing other than being impatient and expecting immediate results that aren't going to happen, unless you're one amazing God...... and if that's the case, then you can give me the body I want. :D

p_t
07-02-2003, 12:00 AM
I never relized how much alcohol hinders your muscle performance and I was reading an article that was talking about the type of fat created by alcohol is stored in matching fat cells in the stomach. Also what are your set/reps maybe we could help there.

bradley
07-02-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by ck2k1

I am currently taking a Whey supplement and have been for about 4 weeks. So far I'v e noticed minimal results in my chest area, but I wanna be CUT there, not have flabby projectiles sticking out. What am I doing wrong? What can I improve on?

Well first we really need more information to provide you with any helpful information. What does your diet look like on an average day?

I would say that the addition of carbs to your whey shake would be beneficial post workout.

Focusing on one goal, either losing/gaining weight, will probably give you the results you are looking for.

ck2k1
07-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Well typical diet consists of

breakfast : cereal and juice, egg and piece of toast every other day

lunch : salad with all the healthy fixings (peppers, cucumbers, onions, etc), ranch dressing, and grapes. Some days a ham sandwich and some days tuna salad (mayo and relish) with minimal wheat crackers.

dinner : chicken breast, pork chop, or beef. vegetables as a side dish.

My question on the salad is... is the ranch dressing a negative?

Btw, I'm drinking copious amounts of water both during the day and at meals.

My goal really at this point is to gain muscle mass and lose this darned fat around my chest area, but i think at 170 and being 6' 3" I really don't need to lose much more weight, do I?
Thanks.

-Chris

ElPietro
07-02-2003, 07:56 AM
You don't need to workout more than 3 times a week. Is your chest pretty solid underneath the layer of fat? Or is it underdeveloped in general?

If you haven't been training long, you can keep your calories pretty high, build up some muscle, and this would give you a leaner look despite a heavier weight.

If you already have some good size and just need to lose the fat, it will simply take some time. You can add in cardio sessions, but won't be able to target where the fat comes off. So there are always going to be stubborn areas you need be really strict to get rid off. When dieting there is an order of operations that your fat goes on and off. Just like getting into an elevator, where the first thing to go in, is the last thing to get off.

My personal opinion, is that at 6' 3" and 170lbs, you are probably underdeveloped, and could use some more additional muscle mass, which will also help you become more "chiseled" in appearance. Also, the added muscle will keep you burning more calories all the time.

Good luck.

bradley
07-02-2003, 08:16 AM
breakfast : cereal and juice, egg and piece of toast every other day

Might want to increase your protein a little here and maybe go with either a whole grain cereal or oats.

lunch : salad with all the healthy fixings (peppers, cucumbers, onions, etc), ranch dressing, and grapes. Some days a ham sandwich and some days tuna salad (mayo and relish) with minimal wheat crackers.

More protein, especially on the days that you are just eating a salad.

My question on the salad is... is the ranch dressing a negative?

If it is full fat ranch then I would go with something a little more healthy, such as an olive oil based dressing.

Looks as though you are not eating very many calories in general, considering the amount of activity that you are performing at work and in the gym.

Try and get ~1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight and ~25% of cals from fat. Most of your fat should come from healthy sources such as fish oil, olive oil, flax, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc. You want to make sure that you are getting adequate amounts of essential fatty acids in your diet.

My goal really at this point is to gain muscle mass and lose this darned fat around my chest area, but i think at 170 and being 6' 3" I really don't need to lose much more weight, do I?

I agree with El Pietro in that gaining a little weight would more than likely help you fill out a bit. Try increasing your cals a little and see what kind of results you get.

ck2k1
07-02-2003, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to switch over to the WBB #1 routine since I have been doing pretty much the same routine now for about 5 weeks, or should I wait longer to switch to WBB #1?.

-Chris

bradley
07-02-2003, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to switch over to the WBB #1 routine since I have been doing pretty much the same routine now for about 5 weeks, or should I wait longer to switch to WBB #1?.

-Chris

Sounds fine IMO:)