PDA

View Full Version : Philosophical Question

Tryska
08-22-2001, 07:47 AM
I was thinking about the phrase "You are what you eat" this morning, and it got me thinking.....if you use this phrase to decide what to eat from day to day, logically it would become "You eat what you are", right? I'm not saying cannibalism, but does this presume one should eat primarily protein, and fats, even saturated fats, and perhaps a little carbo, and drink lots of water?

I mean does it validate making red meat a staple of your diet? I'm thinking about this stuff called pemmican, which is basically 1 part rendered animal fat to 1 part dried meat. It has almost 100% digestibility, and a person could survive, and survive well eating about 3/4 of a pound of it a day. (Native American Hunters used to use this when going on trips). So you have this food, which is quite similar to what our bodies are and it has almost 100% digestibility and bio-availability. Does this mean it's a perfect food for us?

does anyone have any input on this subject? (I don't need anyone to TELL me what the right way to eat is - this is just a philosophical nutritional discussion)

Cackerot69
08-22-2001, 07:57 AM
It's all the same when digested anyhow.

You get amino's, fats, and glucose.

Podium Kreatin
08-22-2001, 11:18 AM
Yeah, but at what ratio? Homer Simpson

the doc
08-22-2001, 11:22 AM
i agree. Fat and protein are the center of my diet with cycling of carb intake for anabolic purposes.

Tryska
08-22-2001, 11:26 AM
so, doc....do you think it would make sense to eat like that all the time?

to give your body the exact building blocks it needs to build off of, as opposed to supplementing, or making do, or combining or whatever?

Maki Riddington
08-22-2001, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
So you have this food, which is quite similar to what our bodies are and it has almost 100% digestibility and bio-availability. Does this mean it's a perfect food for us?

*** A perfect food for humans or BB'ers?

Tryska
08-22-2001, 12:08 PM
perhaps both maki mak...depending on if you ascribe to "fat isn't evil" or not.

Alex.V
08-22-2001, 12:15 PM
Structure and fuel. The two primary components of a human body. You can't survive optimally just eating for structure (proteins and fats, muscle and bone), unless you're talking about NHE, CKDs, etc.

What resides in our bones, our muscles, etc., are only part of the whole picture. What fuels us (glucose) cannot simply be found in meat; there are other things that the body requires, otherwise humans would be carnivores. Our system is optimized for an omnivorous diet; just because carbs do not sit around our bodies does not mean they contribute nothing when ingested.

the doc
08-22-2001, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Belial
What fuels us (glucose) cannot simply be found in meat....

Yes, but oxidative phosphorlation is really what fuels us. Fat (more specificly acetyl CoA) can be the primary source of reduced electron carriers.

I believe humans evolved omnivorous behavior from the need to eat what ever was available.

hemants
08-22-2001, 03:27 PM
I think the term "you are what you eat" was never meant to be taken literally.

We have survived as a species because we can eat almost anything to survive including each other.

But as someone said, are you talking about Humans or Bodybuilders?

Surviving and leading a long and healthy life that is congruent with your bodybuilding goals are not the same thing.

Unfortunately, human's are intelligent and have opened the Pandora's box. We are now the architects of "What was meant to be" as opposed to just simple followers of it.

hehe, I can't believe I just said "Unfortunately, human's are intelligent":)

"Nothing is good or evil, only thinking makes it so" Shakespeare or something

Tryska
08-22-2001, 04:53 PM
I dunno hemants...i think you have no choice but to look at that statement literally. Your body does. You are literally what you eat. If it's meats and vegetables and fats and all that stuff...your body will break it down and put the various nutrients to use in your body....ie - the dietary fat you eat becomes cell wall bilipid layers, and brain bits....the amino acids in protein become muscle, and myelin sheaths, the phytochemicals in the vegetables and fruit become anit-oxidants in your blood stream, and vitamin "helpers", the glucose from starches become muscle glycogen. But what about the chemicals? the nutrasweet, and msg, and trans-fatty acids and preservatives...they all become what you are too.

hemants
08-23-2001, 07:38 AM
I agree that the fork is one of the most powerful tools known to man. It can heal and it can kill.

But a car is not fuel.

It's interesting to try and use abstraction and come up with "simple gems of wisdon" for eating when the processes involved in nutrion are very diverse and complex.

If I HAD to abstract I would say variety and balance are the key principles for a healthy diet.