PDA

View Full Version : Raw Eggs ,How good are they????????

Maxgain
07-02-2003, 02:34 PM
I hear of a lot of people how great protein from whole food such as eggs are so decided to mix 6 whites 2 yolks in yoghurt oats banaana and whey glutamine with flax oil for the ultimate meal in a drink.
Got told the other by the guy working in the supplement shop that when he trained in california he was told you cant absorb raw eggs as you have to heat kill the bacteria first. Is this true? if not can you prevent samonella by mixing raw eggs in ice?
Thanks

Reinier
07-02-2003, 02:48 PM
They are NOT good.

first of all it is dangerous. You can get very sick from it. Many eggs have salmonella or other harmful bacteria in it.

then it is completely useless, because you can not digest raw egg very well. a lot of the protein will simply go lost.

then for a third, it tastes like crap.

altogether, eating raw eggs is lame

Maxgain
07-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Cheers thanks ill stay of the raw egs then and get my protein from tuna beef cheese chicken and whey and have only scrambled eggs every so often as it tastes vile.

rgkfit
07-02-2003, 07:37 PM
If you need to have eggwhites to mix in your shakes for instance, any grocery store sells ultra pastrueized eggwhite liquid that you can use directly with no fear of salmonella. 3 tbsp.=5gr protein, 25 cal.

Berserker
07-02-2003, 09:07 PM
eat the whole egg.
I eat raw eggs. I am not saying I recommended it. I eat them as within minutes of cracking. I read its the temp that makes a big deal. Don't have the article and don't know the validity of it.
The eggs I got now were in and out of a cooler last weekend so I won't eat them raw.
I like milk, 2 -3 eggs, oats, pb, maybe a banna sometimes chocolate.

restless
07-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Only 1 in 30 000 eggs have salmonella.

Reinier
07-03-2003, 12:45 AM
I believe its far more than that. and even if it is really that little, that doesn`t change the digestion or the taste argument.

bradley
07-03-2003, 02:33 AM
As was mentioned above the salmonella is not that big of a concern, but the digestability of the egg would be a concern. ~50% of the protein is digestable from a raw egg as compared to ~90% for a cooked egg.

Woz
07-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Hello, my first post here. I eat organic raw eggs often and always have all the yolks. I can't digest cooked eggs very well at all, in fact I stopped having eggs until I found out that I might digest them better raw.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm (Dr Mercola Raw Eggs For Your Health)

Delphi
07-06-2003, 03:21 PM
One more reason not to listen to Mercola.

Here's one more. He's got an article up on sucralose. A reader sent an email with this completely moronic statement:

Well, I am allergic to chlorine

Wow, she's actually allergic to 0.15% of her own body! :rolleyes: He actually put that reader's email in his article. Complete moronage.

http://www.karlloren.com/Diabetes/p40e.htm

Delphi
07-06-2003, 03:25 PM
From Mercola's own website:

Salmonella is a serious infection, and it is believed that in the US over two-thirds of a million cases of human illnesses a year result from eating contaminated eggs.

McBain
07-06-2003, 05:16 PM
i got scared after hearing about salmonella in raw eggs and now i juts make scrambled eggs, they taste much nicer :thumbup:

LAM
07-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Maxgain
I hear of a lot of people how great protein from whole food such as eggs are so decided to mix 6 whites 2 yolks in yoghurt oats banaana and whey glutamine with flax oil for the ultimate meal in a drink.
Got told the other by the guy working in the supplement shop that when he trained in california he was told you cant absorb raw eggs as you have to heat kill the bacteria first. Is this true? if not can you prevent samonella by mixing raw eggs in ice?
Thanks

there is not one benefit to eating raw eggs.

by eating raw eggs you are:

increasing the odds of contracting salmonella, lowering the levels of biotin and short changing yourself on protein.

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 06:26 PM
I don't see what's wrong with cooking eggs. Won't change the nutritional value in them.

Berserker
07-06-2003, 09:06 PM
why can't you digest raw eggs? Sorry if I missed it. Haven't had alot of time lately. I don't eat raw eggs cause I think there is a bennefit its that its quick. If you mix it in with milk and pb in a blender never taste it.

GonePostal
07-06-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Delphi
One more reason not to listen to Mercola.

Wow, she's actually allergic to 0.15% of her own body! :rolleyes: He actually put that reader's email in his article. Complete moronage.

Why can't you be allergic to chlorine?

Woz
07-06-2003, 11:48 PM
Raw eggs taste ok. It just feels odd the way it all slides down your throat in one go, I think that is the problem people have with them. I should think there is more natural goodness in eggs than in these protein powders so many people live on.

Woz
07-06-2003, 11:51 PM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=allergies+to+chlorine&spell=1

Delphi
07-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Having sensitivity to swimming pool chlorine products is one thing. Irritation does not necessarily equal allergy. And if an allergy to the products is involved, it's not to the chlorine- there's something else in the product causing it. Allergies are caused by proteins and carbohydrates for the most part. They are recognized by the body's immune system and elicit a histamine response. Chlorine is an element. It's found in every cell in the body. If somebody was allergic to chlorine, they'd be dead.

bradley
07-07-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Berserker
why can't you digest raw eggs? Sorry if I missed it. Haven't had alot of time lately. I don't eat raw eggs cause I think there is a bennefit its that its quick. If you mix it in with milk and pb in a blender never taste it.

When you heat the egg you deactivate the protein avidin. When eating uncooked egg whites the protein avidin will bind to biotin which will hinder the absorption of the protein, and could also lead to a biotin deficiency.

paisano
07-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Anyone know how egg protein powder is made? Is is just dehydrated raw egg whites? I use egg protein powder, and now I'm wondering, if this is made from raw eggs, am I getting poor protein quality compared to cooked egg whites?