PDA

View Full Version : My Impression of HIIT

harryhoudini66
07-02-2003, 10:32 PM
Although I realize I am not a sports authority I want to give my impression of HIIT. Today I started so I did five minutes worth. I must say that even though it was only five minutes it felt awesome. I got a great workout in such a short time. It felt much better and as if I worked harder then when I do cardio for 45 minutes. When I do 45 minutes of cardio, I feel good. Feel I got a good workout and hope to do 45 minutes all the time. However, most of the time when it comes to cardio it is hard to get to the gym. There is always a long line for the machines. Anyway, I am steering off course here. I felt more satisfied and got the feeling that I pushed myself today with HIIT then I have ever with 45 minutes of cardio. My heart was pumping and I felt it in my lungs being used more and my legs were pumped (today was leg day). The only thing that was annoying was the dam stepper beeping every 30 seconds or so telling me my heart rate was too high. Anyway, I love HIIT and look forward to progressing in the time. After I was done with HIIT, I was still feeling it minutes afterwards. It was kind of like a shock. Kind of like when they made you run in high school and you ran so fast that you were out of breath and you chest and stomach hurt. Well that is all I have to say about HIIT.

pusher
07-03-2003, 09:00 AM
You do HIIT on a stairclimber....on leg day...?:eek:

harryhoudini66
07-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Yeah, and the dam stepper was on the second floor. I had to walk up two flights of stares. Theh I had to walk down when I was done. My legs were all wobbly.

Sara
07-03-2003, 12:40 PM
I do HITT on stairmaster hardcore 45 mins 2-3 times a wekk(often altering machines) that feeling of completion is awesome!!

ask
07-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Anyone tried that stuff on a stationary bike? In theory, it should work out fine, but I wonder...

harryhoudini66
07-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Oh man, 45 minutes of HIIT is crazy. I can't wait till I build up enough endurance to do that. Five minutes was not killing me but it was tough though

unshift
07-03-2003, 05:40 PM
you didn't do HIIT today, you said you were on the stair climber :)

hop on the track and you'll see what HIIT is REALLY all about

Behemoth
07-04-2003, 11:42 AM
:withstupi

Holto
07-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ask
Anyone tried that stuff on a stationary bike? In theory, it should work out fine, but I wonder...

thats how I do it

I can't take the impact of sprinting/stairmastering

harryhoudini66
07-04-2003, 12:33 PM
You purest need to leave us newbies alone. The article says you can use machines and that a stepper works out fine.

newbie01
07-04-2003, 09:52 PM
If you are doing the WBB #1 routine, when should you perform HIIT to maximize fatloss without extreme catabolic results? I tried doing a search on this but came to no concrete answer.

Behemoth
07-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Newbie I don't know how the routine goes. But if at all possible you try to do it on a non workout day. But if you do do it on a workout day, make sure you workout before in the day.

What article are you referring to harry? I've tried it on machines, and the treadmill is the only one that comes close to good ole fashioned running (EDIT: I have not tried the stationary bike, it seems like it could work pretty well). Even so, I'm able to put a little more into it when on the track or in my yard. Perhaps you should give it a try if at all possible :).

Sara
07-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by unshift
you didn't do HIIT today, you said you were on the stair climber :)

hop on the track and you'll see what HIIT is REALLY all about

I get a better workout then doing HIIT on the stairmaster then I do at the track, at the track I do jog corners and print length which is an excellent for of HITT but try the stairmaster with your hands away from the machine I gotta jump to keep up and I feel like I get a harder and tuffer workout sometimes doing up to level 17, stairmaster can be used as a form of HIIT!!!

Mystic Eric
07-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
Oh man, 45 minutes of HIIT is crazy. I can't wait till I build up enough endurance to do that. Five minutes was not killing me but it was tough though

look, the point of HIIT is to go ALL OUT ie FULL INTENSITY ie TO THE MAX. There's no way you can do interval sprints of 45 min. It would be impressive if you could do sprints around 10 seconds while doing a short, slow jog back as your rest. There's just NO WAY one is doing HIIT properly if you're doing it for 45 min.

Sara
07-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

look, the point of HIIT is to go ALL OUT ie FULL INTENSITY ie TO THE MAX. There's no way you can do interval sprints of 45 min. It would be impressive if you could do sprints around 10 seconds while doing a short, slow jog back as your rest. There's just NO WAY one is doing HIIT properly if you're doing it for 45 min.

you are if you gotta stop every 15 mins for a breather!!!!!

PowerManDL
07-06-2003, 11:11 AM
The idea behind HIIT is to take the intense part to the max or very close to it, as in a sprint (or a set of power cleans as I've been doing lately), then reduce intensity for a short period to recover.

Unless you're in *very* good shape, HIIT done properly is extremely hard to pull off for longer than 20 minutes.

LAM
07-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
Although I realize I am not a sports authority I want to give my impression of HIIT. Today I started so I did five minutes worth. I must say that even though it was only five minutes it felt awesome. I got a great workout in such a short time. It felt much better and as if I worked harder then when I do cardio for 45 minutes. When I do 45 minutes of cardio, I feel good. Feel I got a good workout and hope to do 45 minutes all the time. However, most of the time when it comes to cardio it is hard to get to the gym. There is always a long line for the machines. Anyway, I am steering off course here. I felt more satisfied and got the feeling that I pushed myself today with HIIT then I have ever with 45 minutes of cardio. My heart was pumping and I felt it in my lungs being used more and my legs were pumped (today was leg day). The only thing that was annoying was the dam stepper beeping every 30 seconds or so telling me my heart rate was too high. Anyway, I love HIIT and look forward to progressing in the time. After I was done with HIIT, I was still feeling it minutes afterwards. It was kind of like a shock. Kind of like when they made you run in high school and you ran so fast that you were out of breath and you chest and stomach hurt. Well that is all I have to say about HIIT.

If your doing HIIT the right way there is no way in hell you can do it for 45 minutes !

HIIT training is supposed to be short and sweet, 15-20 minutes maximum...

harryhoudini66
07-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Guys I am not sure if you realize this. You both quoted me but it looks like you did not read my post. I never claimed to be doing 45 minutes of HIIT. I read the article myself and it clearly states that HIIT is done from 4-15 minutes. I also did no say I would accomplish 45 minutes of HIIT. I was merely responding to Sara's comment that she does 45 minutes of HIIT. I myself was amazed that she could do that and was giving her propts. Yet, you two someone interpreted it that it was I who said I could do 45 minutes. Do not mean to talk smack, but you should read someone's post completely before you respond. Especially if you are going to do it with a tone or disbelief.

Sara
07-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Hmm then I'm probebly doing too much, I do the track every other day for 20 mins I think thats HIIT, But as for the stairmaster I still do High intensity Random so I don't really think thats specifically HIIT but I do vary it, my mistake!!