PDA

View Full Version : Post-Swimming Nutrition??

RainerG9
07-03-2003, 08:31 AM
After a long layoff due to injuries (knees and neck) Ive been told to start swimming in order to strengthen my quads and help fix the neck problem..which i have been doing for the past 3 weeks.

I swim non-stop for about 30-40 minutes, and although its just swimming, it feels like a good workout, my lower back, shoulders and legs are usually quite sore from it..

I was thinking if any post-swimming shake of some sort would be necessary? I eat a large meal about 30-60 mins after swimming...but I was curious if having a protein shake immediately after swimming would do any good. or is it just a waste?

pusher
07-03-2003, 08:39 AM
I think your best bet is just a good meal. You can have a shake if you want, but I don't think it will be as critical to ingest protein immediately after a swimming session, but it wouldn't hurt IMO, your body will still metabolize the protein so no waste there.

Steeda351SC
07-03-2003, 01:49 PM
swimming can be a very intense cardio (depending on speed, intensity, and distance) don't underestimate, when i was in school all the swimmers were very scrawny and ate like madmen. I did a lot of surfing when i was younger and i was starving and dehydrated when i was done. Protein shakes wont hurt. I always thought it to be ironic that after so much swimming and so much time in the water; I was always so thirsty.

Holto
07-03-2003, 02:06 PM
I would take a shake as if I just hit weights if your goal is to gain LBM and take this as physio