PDA

View Full Version : Question on calories

lid6662
07-03-2003, 04:24 PM
ok guys i have been lifting for about 9 weeks now.
I am 5/9 and weighing in about 145ish.
Lately i am not gaining as much weight as i thouight i might .
I am making sure that i am eating 1 g protien everyday and i just started that about 2 weeks ago. Before that it was just creatine
the other day i counted how many calories i am eating and found out its normally about 1500 1700?
Now i am at about 11 or 12% bodyfat and have pretty much the whole six pack thing going? And ideas or suggestions how much to eat caloire wise?
thx
-matt:D

bradley
07-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Well if you are not gaining weight then you need to increase your cals a little. Just increae your daily calories in small increments each week until you are gaining ~.5lb. per week.

What does your diet look like? Are you getting in adequate amounts of EFAs?

rgkfit
07-03-2003, 04:39 PM
A good rule of thumb for most is for men 15-20 cal. per lb. of bodyweight. 15 for the low end and upwards of 18 for more active individuals. I would up your intake by about 250 cal. per week till you start to see a gain. Then stay there till the gain stops for a couple weeks. Then proceed up again in the same fashion.

lid6662
07-03-2003, 07:35 PM
ok here is my normal daily food intake
sausge patties 200 cal 10 protien carb 0
2-3 servings spread out
eggs about 6,daily
nitro tech 2 servings 20 when protien 90ish cal?
chickincan 120 cal 25 protien about 2 of those
most of the time have a big bowl of cerel! in morning!
Beefjerkey some times 9 protien 1 carb
so normally i eat maybe 1500 to 1700 i think i should go for 2000.
Also :confused: whats a good ratio to eat carbs protien with about 2000 calorie intake. I dont want to bulk up really just stay cut and slowly add muscle. Ive been working out for 9 weeks and seen a heck of a lot of inprovement. I will try to post pics if they are not to big in size.

I take creatine 1 hour before work out 2.5 grams then 2.5 after then protien drink. Also what do i take first after working out Creatine or protien? I dont take creatine on off days.-matt:help: I have been skateboarding for aboutt 6 years and i do get a great workout from that. I do that on my off days of workout if i can. Sometimes i do skate a few hours afterwork. I am the type that pretty much skate the whole dam time iam there in less iam getting a drink.

1 a week i have a cheat day and normally wake up lighter than the night before, only sometimes. I drink lots of water at least 8 oz i belive.

Sorry if this is not organized very well, In a hurry.
thx
-matt:help: :confused:

also anyone know of a program that can compress the size of a few pics i took. There all jpg format and about 500-800 k I belive they need to be under 100k? any ideas?:eek:

bradley
07-04-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by lid6662
ok here is my normal daily food intake
sausge patties 200 cal 10 protien carb 0
2-3 servings spread out
eggs about 6,daily
nitro tech 2 servings 20 when protien 90ish cal?
chickincan 120 cal 25 protien about 2 of those
most of the time have a big bowl of cerel! in morning!
Beefjerkey some times 9 protien 1 carb
so normally i eat maybe 1500 to 1700 i think i should go for 2000.

You definitely need some healthy fats (EFAs) in your diet, and I would recommend getting ~25% of your daily cals from fat. Most of this total should come from healthy sources such as fish oil, olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, flax oil, etc.

It looks as though you are getting plenty of protein, but just keep your intake at ~1g of protein per lb. of bw.

The rest of your cals can come from carbs, and I would go with low GI carbs such as oats, sweet potatoes, veggies, beans, etc.

As far as daily calorie intake goes, just up your cals in small increments each week until you are gaining a small amount of weight each week (~.5lb). If you are currently taking in ~1700 cals per day then bump it up to 2000 and see what kind of results you get. If you still are not gaining just up cals again, and repeat this process until you are gaining:)

Also :confused: whats a good ratio to eat carbs protien with about 2000 calorie intake. I dont want to bulk up really just stay cut and slowly add muscle. Ive been working out for 9 weeks and seen a heck of a lot of inprovement.

Well the macro nutrient ratios are not that important as long as you are taking in adequate amounts of protein and EFAs. Just make sure you are getting your 1g of protein per lb. of bw and ~25% of cals from fat, as I mentioned above. The rest of your cals can come from carbs.

I take creatine 1 hour before work out 2.5 grams then 2.5 after then protien drink. Also what do i take first after working out Creatine or protien? I dont take creatine on off days.-

Well you should be taking in some carbs post workout along with your protein shake. I would recommend ~50g of carbs post workout along with ~25g of protein, and you can just throw in 5g of creatine with the protein and carbs. There is really no need to split up the creatine pre/post workout.

The addition of a preworkout shake has also been shown to be beneficial. A small amount of carbs (~25g) and protein (~10g) mixed in a small amount of water about 30 minutes before working out would be a good idea. As far as carbs sources go, I would use dextrose and/or maltodextrin in pre/post workout shakes.

1 a week i have a cheat day and normally wake up lighter than the night before, only sometimes. I drink lots of water at least 8 oz i belive.

When you say that you drink 8oz. of water that is not over the course of the day is it? Try and drink at least a gallon of water over the course of the day.

lid6662
07-04-2003, 05:34 AM
Yes i drink about 8-10 servings of a 1 oz bottle of water!
I just started keeping a journalabout a week ago of how many carbs and calories i get everyday. ok i will try to bump of my fat level. One question would be when i take the cell tech i get about 35 gram sugar and carb for pre/post. Would it be better to take all the creatine at post workout? Or are u trying to say that eating carbs in food are better than the carbs in the creatine right?
:confused:
Well today is workout day. Ive taken two days off.
Basiclly i work out 3 times a week take one day in between and 2 days of after working out 3 times. mon wed fri mon wed fri then i switch to tue thur sat for 2 weeks.

Also about peanut butter 16 g fat calories 190 and calories from fat 130 when u say i need 25 percent of my cal from fat which one do i look at.
Also for now i will try to eat some peanut butter untill i get the natty kind. So with normal peanut butter i should have 3 servings of peanut butter.

bradley
07-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by lid6662
Yes i drink about 8-10 servings of a 1 oz bottle of water!

Well that would only be 8-10oz. of water;) I realize that is probably a typo.

One question would be when i take the cell tech i get about 35 gram sugar and carb for pre/post. Would it be better to take all the creatine at post workout? Or are u trying to say that eating carbs in food are better than the carbs in the creatine right?

Well Cell-Tech contains 75g of carbs per serving and a serving is two scoops, which means each scoop is 37.5g of carbs. The reason I posted the statement in my previous post was because I was unaware that you were using Cell-Tech. Using one scoop of Cell-Tech preworkout would be fine and then you could follow up with another scoop post workout. Ideally you would want a few more carbs post workout, maybe bring the total to ~50g instead of just 37.5g.

Well today is workout day. Ive taken two days off.
Basiclly i work out 3 times a week take one day in between and 2 days of after working out 3 times. mon wed fri mon wed fri then i switch to tue thur sat for 2 weeks.

The above sounds fine IMO.

Also about peanut butter 16 g fat calories 190 and calories from fat 130 when u say i need 25 percent of my cal from fat which one do i look at.

When I say 25% of cals from fat that means 25% of your daily calories should come from fat. For example, if you are eating 2000 cals per day then 25% of 2000 would be 500 cals from fat (2000*.25=500). Fat has 9 calories per gram so that would come out to ~56g of fat per day (500/9=55.6). Hope that makes sense:)

[/b]
Also for now i will try to eat some peanut butter untill i get the natty kind. So with normal peanut butter i should have 3 servings of peanut butter. [/B]

Ideally you would want a variety of fat sources. There are different kinds of fat, and basically you want a good ratio of fat in your diet. The two essential types of fat are omega 3 and omega 6, and most people get enough omega 6 through their diet.

Along with the peanut butter I would recommend getting some fish oil or maybe flax oil to help ensure that you are getting a good amount of EFAs in your diet.:)

lid6662
07-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Thank you for the info!:D