PDA

View Full Version : Fruit

NEOPRENE
07-03-2003, 05:28 PM
How much fruit do you guys eat a day or week?? Is fruit not that good for you cause of all the carbs/sugar? I use to eat a ton of apples a day but now I'm def cutting my fruit to 1 or 2 a day. Which fruit has the least carbs? Oranges? Anyway what are your thoughts on fruit and dieting. Should I just eat more veggies?

Ferdo
07-03-2003, 06:29 PM
I think you should opt for low GI fruits such as Strawberries, Apples, Oranges and refrain from Pinnapple, Watermelon. Have the fruit earlier in the day as well.

bradley
07-04-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by NEOPRENE
How much fruit do you guys eat a day or week?? Is fruit not that good for you cause of all the carbs/sugar? I use to eat a ton of apples a day but now I'm def cutting my fruit to 1 or 2 a day. Which fruit has the least carbs? Oranges? Anyway what are your thoughts on fruit and dieting. Should I just eat more veggies?

I think fruits are fine, just make sure that you account for the calories, and eating one or two pieces of fruit would be a good addition to your diet, along with some veggies:) Fruits are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants.

The link below will allow you to look up some of the various fruits and their calorie content/macro breakdown.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR15/sr15.html

bradley
07-04-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Ferdo
I think you should opt for low GI fruits such as Strawberries, Apples, Oranges and refrain from Pinnapple, Watermelon.

Well watermelon is high GI but it only has about 10g of carbs per cup, and pineapple is about 60 on the GI which would be considered moderate.

Have the fruit earlier in the day as well.

There would be no difference in eating fruit in the morning as opposed to eating it in the evening. The whole "eat carbs early in the day" is not really important:)

Maxgain
07-04-2003, 03:12 AM
I hear its best to eat fruit early morning or on an empty stomach on its own as if eaten or with on top of someting heavy it sits and goes rotten in your stomach. It is a very good detoxifier as well as water

bradley
07-04-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Maxgain
I hear its best to eat fruit early morning or on an empty stomach on its own as if eaten or with on top of someting heavy it sits and goes rotten in your stomach. It is a very good detoxifier as well as water

Where did you hear this? Do you have any links?

Your stomach churns up the food that you eat in order to mix it with the juices contained within the stomach (hydrochloric acid). Therefor whole food just does not sit on top, as it would be churned up with the rest of the contents of the stomach.

If the fruit was fresh when you ate it, then it is not going to spoil in the amount of time that it takes to digest the fruit.

NEOPRENE
07-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys :)

Woz
07-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Fruit is very good for you, it doesn't contain many calories and would be the last thing I would cut down on if I was counting calories. It wont go rotten in the stomach but it can ferment causing belching. Chewing it up well before swallowing it can stop that.

LAM
07-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Where did you hear this? Do you have any links?

Your stomach churns up the food that you eat in order to mix it with the juices contained within the stomach (hydrochloric acid). Therefor whole food just does not sit on top, as it would be churned up with the rest of the contents of the stomach.

If the fruit was fresh when you ate it, then it is not going to spoil in the amount of time that it takes to digest the fruit.

I read some study's years ago that stated the "churning" effect in the stomach is very, very subtle. most say it's like a cement mixer which I would think you would surely feel. solid foods are basically digested in layers as they are consumed.

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Does anyone eat 5 fruits a day like the FDA recommends? I think that's a bit too much sugar.

LAM
07-06-2003, 06:48 PM
I do:

1 bananna
1 orange
1 apple
1 cup honey dew
1 cup cantalope

SoulOfKoRea
07-06-2003, 08:22 PM
I usually eat a banana, pineapples, or peaches once or twice a day.

Berserker
07-06-2003, 09:01 PM
If your fairly active doubt it will hurt you. I haven't been eating much lately just haven't bough it. I am not afraid of it. Its better for you then most things you can eat. Plus I got fruit trees, I refuse to give up fresh pciked fruit.

Berserker
07-06-2003, 09:02 PM
I am gonna buy some bannanas next time I am at the store.

Woz
07-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Stop worrying about the sugar in fruit. It is completely different to the sugar in candy bars etc. Fruit is damn good for you wether you like it or not. The sugar from fruit is not absorbed quickly in to the bloodstream. Do a search on google and you will find plenty of stuff from Nutritionists and Doctors explaining the benefits. And another thing, how often do you see obese people stuffing their faces with loads of fresh fruit? Very rarely if at all.

Berserker, you are lucky to have fruit trees, I wish I had some.

dreamwrld99
07-09-2003, 03:29 PM
woz just stated how it is!!!

Berserker
07-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Bought some bannannas tonight. Ya-love the fruit trees, got peaches pears and tons of apples. Looks like an off year for the pears though. Sucks cause there my favorite, they last the longest. Peaches are good, but there only good for a 2-3 weeks.

Ironman8
07-09-2003, 09:40 PM
That's freaking awesome you have fruit trees Berserker! You won't have to worry about people putting preservatives on them.

Woz
07-09-2003, 11:50 PM
We are working next door to an old fellow with cherry and pear trees. (I am a builder) While I was putting up a new fence we got talking about the trees. He said to help ourselves because there was too much for him and difficult for him to get at. Only trouble is the birds are also helping themselves. Every time we picked a really ripe cherry, the top side of it had been pecked at. I took some of the not so ripe fruit to ripen at home but it's not so good thas ripening on a tree I think. The old fellow said I can go back in aug/sept for the pears. So we will see what happens then.
BTW, I'm eating 3 apples and 2 pears for breakfast as I write this. I can see huge amounts of fat piling on my midsection as I eat it, my abs disapeared during the second apple. Hahahahahahaha!

bradley
07-10-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Woz
BTW, I'm eating 3 apples and 2 pears for breakfast as I write this. I can see huge amounts of fat piling on my midsection as I eat it, my abs disapeared during the second apple. Hahahahahahaha!

While I agree that there is nothing wrong with eating fruit, but too much fructose will cause spillover into fat stores. Although it takes ~50g of fructose for this to happen.

Although eating 3 apples and 2 pears is not what I would consider the ideal breakfast, and you are well on your way to reaching that 50g total.

Per 100g- fructose content

Apple- 6g
Pear - ~6.5g

Woz
07-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Sorry Bradley I should have said the reason I am eating that much fruit at one sitting. For the past few months I have been having a lot of digestive distress. I went for some tests the other week and found out that I had a bacteria infection in my stomach. This bacteria lives off starchy carbs like potatoes, wheat and other grain based foods. I have been allowed to eat loads of protein, (fish & chicken but no red meat) fats, fruit and veg. The only trouble has been that I can't handle fruit or veg with protein and fat at the same sitting at the moment so I have had to eat all the fruit at once and the rest of the day I eat proteins (fish and chicken)and fatty foods like avacados, nuts together. I have had some colloidal silver to get rid of the infection but have to stay on this eating regime until next thursday when I have the test to check it has gone. Sorry if I have caused any confusion it's just I have got very used to this way of eating and it now seems normal.

chops
07-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by bradley

While I agree that there is nothing wrong with eating fruit, but too much fructose will cause spillover into fat stores. Although it takes ~50g of fructose for this to happen.

Per 100g- fructose content

Apple- 6g
Pear - ~6.5g

how big of a fruit is 100g - the size of a baseball?

im curious, for the ~50g threshold, is there a timeframe associated with this, like don't exceed this amount in x hours?

Woz
07-10-2003, 11:29 AM
I have read something about this before but I thougt the fructose is only a problem when it is extracted from fruit. I have been ok so far myself but I do not intend staying on this regime when I am given the all clear. In fact my fat % has dropped slightly but this is probably more to do with eating a lot of fats as my energy supply instead of starches.

bradley
07-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by chops

how big of a fruit is 100g - the size of a baseball?

This should give you a good estimate:)

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/measure.pl?09003xyz0900xyzApples%2c%20raw%2c%20with%20skinxyzMalus%20sylvestris

im curious, for the ~50g threshold, is there a timeframe associated with this, like don't exceed this amount in x hours?

From everything that I have read that is a per day estimate.

bradley
07-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Woz
I have read something about this before but I thougt the fructose is only a problem when it is extracted from fruit. I have been ok so far myself but I do not intend staying on this regime when I am given the all clear.

Usually this is only a concern for people who are eating large amounts of high fructose corn syrup and or sucrose, but just because the fructose comes from fruit does not mean that it will not have the same effect as say powdered fructose.

In fact my fat % has dropped slightly but this is probably more to do with eating a lot of fats as my energy supply instead of starches.

That would have more to do with calorie balance and not food choices, although you could have increased your EFA and protein which might have helped you lose weight.:)

Woz
07-10-2003, 01:22 PM
I don't think I am eating fewer calories because I am not getting the sudden drops in energy that I was on starch based meals. I have found that if I eat a lot of starches I burn them off too quickly, have sudden drops in energy and often end up losing muscle. (btw, I was also eating meat or fish when I was having starch based meals) I am a construction worker and need to eat a fair bit of food (more than my co-workers actualy) but since eating avacados and meat or fish my energy is much better. As you are probably aware avacados contain a lot of oil (fat) I am also eating more meat and fish than I was, maybe too much? I don't measure quantity/calories any more, I just eat all I can in the time allowed at work.

bradley
07-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Like I alluded to earlier you could be taking in more EFAs which would help increase your fat loss, as opposed to your previous diet which had more carbs.

Woz
07-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Yes, you are probably right. I also eat all the skin off the chicken and most of the fat from the roasting tin plus don't forget all that fruit and in spite of that skin, fat and fruit I have lost bodyfat! Hahahaha.

aka23
07-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Regarding the increased triglycerides and fructose, some studies found increased triglycerides with 50g fructose, while others found no increase with 20% of calories in diet as fructose. The limit is dependent on many factors including age, sex, baseline glucose, insulin, and triglyceride concentrations, caloric balance, training/exercise, %CHO in diet, and the presence of insulin resistance. It is also important to note that these studies almost always used fructose based sweeteners, such as high fructose corn syrup, rather than fruit. It is my understanding that the 50g figure is a lower limit that is usually associated with men on a caloric surplus who handle insulin poorly and have high triglycerides (have a tendency to convert fructose into triglycerides). I believe that the typical person can handle significantly more fructose without plasma triglyceride issues.

There are also a number of other negative effects associated with fructose intakes including refilling liver rather than muscle glycogen, and decreased fat burning (more than glucose). Very high levels may be associated with negative insulin/diabetic issues, decreased BMR, and reduced fullness (less insulin/leptin). Fructose has a number of benefits as well including promoting anabolism and reduced insulin response compared to glucose. Many experts suggest that a postworkout drink should include fructose, along with glucose/dextrose type sugars.

The negative effects are usually related to fructose as a sweetener. Table sugar and high fructose corn syrup are typically about 1/2 fructose. A smaller portion of the calories in fruit comes from fructose. The amount varies depending on the fruit. A typical piece of fruit may contain anywhere from 2-7g of fructose. The highest amounts are usually found in low GI fruits like apples and pears since fructose causes a smaller blood sugar increase than glucose.

In my opinion the benefits of a moderate fruit intake outweigh the possible negative aspects associated with the fructose. These benefits include a good amount of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, antioxidants, cartenoids, flavones, fructooligosaccharides, and fiber, etc. Many of these compounds are difficult to find in other food groups. On the other hand table sugar and sweeteners have little benefit outside of refilling glycogen stores and usually contain much more fructose. I have had no problems maintaining a very low body fat while eating ~5 pieces of fruit per day.

Related Article -- http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_95forbid.html

Woz
07-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanks aka, I knew I had read something along those lines somewhere.

mmckinley
07-11-2003, 04:11 PM
A guy at my school did his senior research thesis on colloidal silver. Chronic use can give you a permanent blue-greyish tint to your skin, hair, eyes, and mucous membranes. It also damages your kidneys. It's bad! Commercial products generally exceed maximum daily allowable dosages up to several times.

Woz
07-11-2003, 04:29 PM
I only used it for one day (250ml) to get rid of an infection. Not what you might call chronic use. Although I have turned aqua marine, my girlfriend says I match the curtains.

rgkfit
07-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Certain fruits elicit a thermogenic effect, thus causing your body to burn more fat than one would expect from a caloric deficit alone. Concentrate on including these in your nutrition plan if you are dieting.
a) Fruit with an excellent Thermogenic/Carbohydrate Ratio include: Apples, Blueberries, Grapefruit, Peaches, Strawberries vs. Inferior Thermogenic Effect Fruits: Bananas, Dried Fruit, Raisins, etc., Watermelon

bradley
07-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by rgkfit
Certain fruits elicit a thermogenic effect, thus causing your body to burn more fat than one would expect from a caloric deficit alone. Concentrate on including these in your nutrition plan if you are dieting.
a) Fruit with an excellent Thermogenic/Carbohydrate Ratio include: Apples, Blueberries, Grapefruit, Peaches, Strawberries vs. Inferior Thermogenic Effect Fruits: Bananas, Dried Fruit, Raisins, etc., Watermelon

The thermic effect of food (TEF) is something that applies to all foods consumed not just fruit. ~20-25% of calories contained in protein will be burned during digestion, ~15-20% of carbs, and ~3% for fat.

Some foods such as celery require more calories to digest than is actually contained in the food, but the TEF is not going to make that much of a difference.

On average TEF will increase calorie expenditure by about 10%, so if you eat 2,500 cals ~250 of those cals will be burned due to TEF.