PDA

View Full Version : maintainence/cutting question

furious
07-03-2003, 10:50 PM
hey,

My question is two fold, first, my diet has been really bad latley and while I have successfully gained weight, I have noticed substantial weight gain in my face and abs in particular. Would it be possible to lower bodyfat levels by improving my diet, yet while maintaining a constant weight? Second, would keto be the most efficient diet to cut in the quickest amount of time when I am done bulking? Thanks for your input, and I hope to hear from you soon.

rgkfit
07-04-2003, 09:32 AM
It is most assuredly possible to lower bf and improve your diet. First by just "cleaning" up your diet will do this, ditch all the sugary refined carbs for starters, this alone will benefit you. Up your protein intake and include solid complex carbs like black beans, sweet potatoes, brown rice, lots of fibrous veggies and you will do wonders for your physique.

bradley
07-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by furious
My question is two fold, first, my diet has been really bad latley and while I have successfully gained weight, I have noticed substantial weight gain in my face and abs in particular. Would it be possible to lower bodyfat levels by improving my diet, yet while maintaining a constant weight?

Well if you are going to lose bf then you will more than likely drop some scale weight, because losing bf while gaining LBM is not likely to happen in trained individuals. Although if you concentrate on losing weight at a slow rate you can minimize the amount of LBM that you lose.

Second, would keto be the most efficient diet to cut in the quickest amount of time when I am done bulking? Thanks for your input, and I hope to hear from you soon.

A keto diet will work, but I do not think you are going to see much difference in terms of weight loss. It comes down to calorie balance, not the type of diet you are performing.

Effect of weight loss plans on body composition and diet duration.

Landers P, Wolfe MM, Glore S, Guild R, Phillips L.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, PO Box 26901-CHB 469, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma City, OK 73190, USA.

Are low carbohydrate high protein (LCHP) diets more effective in promoting loss of weight and body fat and can individuals stay on an Atkins-like diet more easily than on a conventional weight loss diet? A pre-test/post-test randomized group design composed of three cohorts was utilized to test 1) a LCHP ketogenic diet; 2) the Zone diet; and 3) a conventional hypocaloric diabetic exchange diet that supplied < 10%, 40%, and 50% of calories from carbohydrate, respectively. Body composition was measured before and after the intervention treatment period with dual energy X-ray absorptiometry. Mean weight loss was 5.1 kg for those who completed the 12-week program. There were no significant differences in total weight, fat, or lean body mass loss when compared by diet group. Attrition was substantial for all plans at 43%, 60%, and 36% for LCHP, Zone and conventional diets, respectively.

Isaac Wilkins
07-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Read the refeed sticky at the top of the page. A bunch of us went around a little bit on the theory of maintaining a (relatively) stable weight while leaning up.

Simply cleaning up your diet if it's poor now, as rgkfit said, will go a long way. Chances are you're also retaining some water from the poor diet (high in sugars, starches, sodium, and saturated fat). A lot of people retain water around their face and middle, so that might be a bit of the fat/puffiness you see.

Many have great success with keto diets. One of the primary reasons for this is that it forces one to be very regimented with their diet. It's very clear what can and cannot be consumed, and that allows a lot of people to stick to their diet.

furious
07-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Actually I have noticed my face in particular has been become quite pffy, if I cut sugars, will this aid in helping it lean out a bit while still bulking?