PDA

View Full Version : Cooking meat

kazzy
07-04-2003, 12:09 AM
I dunno if I shoulda asked this in the Diet and Nutrition forum or over here or what. But whatever

If I cook some chicken/beef in a frying pan in olive oil, would I be able to store it somehow in the fridge for a week without it going bad? Also, if there is a way... would the protien/nutritional content be the same as it was when it was first cooked as opposed to when I eat it?

I'm just asking cause it's a hassel for me to cook up meat on a daily bases ;/ and I'm not a big fan of deli meats.

- Kaz

ectx
07-04-2003, 12:53 AM
Standard safe storage is 2 days in the fridge. You can leave it longer but that's gettin a little scary. I'd cook it and freeze it. You can't refreeze food if it's raw, but you can if it's cooked. When you cook something nutritional value does decrease, but the amount is usually insignificant from what I've read.

WeakSauceAsian
07-04-2003, 03:01 AM
It's only 2 days? I was told by some food guy that it could stay around 4-5.

bradley
07-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by kazzy
If I cook some chicken/beef in a frying pan in olive oil, would I be able to store it somehow in the fridge for a week without it going bad?

This website has a chart with some various foods and the recommended storage times. I found this page after following a link from the FDA website.

http://www.fightbac.org/doubt.cfm

Also, if there is a way... would the protien/nutritional content be the same as it was when it was first cooked as opposed to when I eat it?

I do not know of any reason as to why the nutritional value of the food would be any different after storing in the fridge as opposed to eating it immediately after cooking.