PDA

View Full Version : Angry at labels

Ferdo
07-04-2003, 03:00 PM
I just bought some pumpernickel bread as its supposed to be one of the lower Gi Breads. Although like everything out on the market nowadays i think its trying to scam me into thinking its healthy. I looked at the ingredients when i got home first ingredient is enriched flour, I would assume this is white flour making my whole purpose of buying the pumpernickel for nothing. They have to change this labelling system ecspecially with whole wheat breads.

bradley
07-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Enriched wheat flour is baiscally white flour with some vitamins added back in. The bran layer and germ have been removed, which is the portion of the bread that contains fiber. I have found that most all wheat breads that you see in the supermarket contain enriched wheat flour instead of stone ground or whole wheat flour.

Scott S
07-04-2003, 05:17 PM
That's why I buy Grant Hill Wheat Bread instead of their "Stone Ground Wheat Bread."

Ingredients for the former: Coarse ground wheat flour, blah, blah...

Ingredients for "Stone Ground": Enriched wheat flour, blah, blah, stone ground wheat flour.

Lesson: Read the ingredients; don't trust the product name!!

body
07-04-2003, 05:30 PM
educate yourself. labels are legal.

also the flour is enriched. so they are correct to call it that.
labels are desinged for legal reason so you know whats in it, if you research you can normally tell what everything is.
there are far more laws for the actual ingredients than nutritional info.

if you alter a ingredient you call it a different name. but these laws are often around for years, due to people trying to create scams to make the raws ingredients cheaper