PDA

View Full Version : Squat problems

Wu36
07-05-2003, 01:03 PM
I tested my max squat today,see journal, and ive noticed a few things;

1. I have trouble getting the bar off the rack and walking out strong.
2. the eccentric is fine, but when i try to push back up i just bomb.
3. My hams and low back always seem to be destroyed while everything else is fine.
4. i suck
5. see above.
6. i wanna start using my belt.
7. some extra work for my back/hams is in order?
8. see 4/5
9.i cant seem to keep my feet pointed straight ahead, even at the beginning of the rep.
10.See 2, no strength out of the hole.

any suggestions?

Scooby-Doo
07-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Wu36

Maybe your starting the bar too high/low?

Its easier to go down then up!!

3. My hams and low back always seem to be destroyed while everything else is fine.

Then this is most likely your weak points.

4. i suck

No you dont, you just need to keep lifting!

5. see above.

Then do, use your belt on your very heavy sets and maxes.

Try doing SLDL's, they target your hams, glutes, and lower back.

8. see 4/5

9.i cant seem to keep my feet pointed straight ahead, even at the beginning of the rep.

Your feet dont have to be pointed straight ahead, infact I would reccommend you point your feet out at an angle.

Like I said before, its easier to go down then up. You could try box squats for a few weeks or do higher reps on squats. See if these help.

Good Luck! If you have any more questions feel free to ask. :)

Wu36
07-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Wu36

Maybe your starting the bar too high/low?
I'm really not too sure about my bar placement, i'l have someone watch next time.

Its easier to go down then up!!
truth be told.

Then this is most likely your weak points.

Then do, use your belt on your very heavy sets and maxes.

Try doing SLDL's, they target your hams, glutes, and lower back.
i think i was just being unrealistic expecting my hams to catch up when i started doing romanians only a month or so earlier.

Like I said before, its easier to go down then up. You could try box squats for a few weeks or do higher reps on squats. See if these help.

Thanks for the advice.

Paul Stagg
07-07-2003, 09:05 AM

** Work on your arch, make sure the bar is placed properly (about mid chest or so), make sure you get a stable base, and train your abs

** OK, so you fail at the bottom? As Dave Tate says, it could just be too heavy.

** That's OK. Your hams and glutes are what squat.

4. i suck

** so train harder

5. see above.

** Much harder.

** OK.

** Depends. That and woking on the ability to reverse the weight.

8. see 4/5

** Harder.

** That's OK. You can angle them out a bit.

I haven't read your journal... what is your training like? What are your goals?

Wu36
07-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Paul Stagg

** Work on your arch, make sure the bar is placed properly (about mid chest or so), make sure you get a stable base, and train your abs

I haven't read your journal... what is your training like? What are your goals?

Mid chest? judging by the bar burn i keep the bar on my mid-high traps. Should I be keeping it lower?

I'm just starting out on westside, strength is my main goal at the moment. On a cut.

ElPietro
07-07-2003, 02:58 PM
If you are testing your max you can't expect things to go that smoothly. Right now I suck at squats as well, but will be working hard to get them where they need to be.

My big problem (aside from plifting form) is speed and explosiveness. I take too damned long getting to depth, and then seem to take my bloody time before I explode out. I am getting better at it, but it takes a hell of a lot of time. I know you aren't powerlifting or anything, but squats are probably the toughest thing to get right, and the learning curve is a very long road to travel.

I'd say worry on form, and speed at least 50% of the time, and forget finding your max for now. Or squat twice a week, focusing just on speed and depth, and throw in some pause reps. Pause reps may help you with depth, and strength off the bottom. Believe me pause reps are killer, almost literally. ;) Just have someone else count as you will count faster than you ever have before when you are under the bar and in the hole. Also, have that guy there ready to spot you too. I do sets of 2 or 3 with only 225 with a guy counting to 4 or 5 and my vision blurs and I get dizzy afterwards. It's tough sitting rock bottom with the weight, trying to breathe for 15 seconds along with 3 reps after you're already gassed.

Paul Stagg
07-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Good advice.

I was speaking in terms of where the bar is racked - not where you carry it. when you walk up tp the racked bar, it shoudl be about mid chest or so.

Saturday Fever
07-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Accessory work, accessory work, accessory work. As you read more and learn more, you'll get better. But while you're still new and learning work on accessory. Make your hams, glutes, hips, etc as strong as you can. The squats will come.

And see Paul's post about Dave tate mentioning too much weight. What you squatted using your quads won't necessarily match what you squat with your posterior initially. Swallow some pride and just work hard. Nobody starts out elite.

Chris Rodgers
07-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Can you describe the way you squat in detail? My squat has come a long way and judging by video from the other day my form is becoming nearly perfect. There are a lot of things I do now that I wasn't doing even just a few months ago.

Wu36
07-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Latty-According to my school strength coach my form near perfect for a OLY squat, I tried to squat wider w/ bar lower last time.I'd probably describe my from wrong if i tried.
Paul- thats about where it is, maybe a bit lower. thanks for claryfying.
ElP; sounds brutal, ill give it a shot.
SF- thanks once again.
I'm sure i can learn alot from the experienced wsb users.

oh and i was testing my squat to determine what weights to use in future sessions, all box squats for the next 8 or 9 weeks(with a few pauses thrown in).

benchmonster
07-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Well and olympic squat and a power squat are 2 vastly different things. If you are doing a nearly perfect olympic squat, then you need to do some things very different indeed for a good power squat.

B.

ElPietro
07-08-2003, 01:08 PM
What is an olympic squat? Technically aren't there only two lifts that are really considered olympic lifts? Just haven't heard that term before as squat isn't an olympic event.

carolinagirl
07-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Oly squats use a much narrower stance, and a higher bar placement; it's a 'quad squat' as opposed to a 'glute squat'.

ElPietro
07-08-2003, 01:12 PM
I am wondering why it is called an "olympic" squat though? :confused:

Alex.V
07-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Mostly because it's much closer to the squat in a snatch or clean. When Oly lifters squat as an accessory lift, that is the stance they use. Most direct translation.

ElPietro
07-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Ah, ok got it. I guess I should have assumed as much. It's just that everyone keeps saying oly lift this, oly lift that, when there technically are only two lifts. But I guess you can apply it to form on exercises you use to train for those specific lifts, or mimic a section of the ROM of said lifts.

PowerManDL
07-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Basically, yeah.

Scott S
07-10-2003, 03:51 PM
ElP: Good tips for squatting! I've been having lots of trouble with squats. I'm still not happy with my form, and I'm not using very much weight either. :cry: