PDA

View Full Version : Mueller Magic Grip?

Scooby-Doo
07-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Am currently at Summer Session at Penn State and theres only one gym open, and it does not allow chalk! I've been carring around paper towels and wiping my hands between every set, and I was forced to use straps for deads (sweaty hands/lots of weight = not gonna happen). I hated using the straps, it didnt work my forearms at all. I also ripped a calus off. All in all I was pissed, I'm not going to do that again. Anyways, has anyone tried this stuff? It says it puts a light sandpaper like coating on your hands. Sounds pretty good, not like chalk, but it may be a good subsitute for 5 weeks until the gritty gym opens here. If you guys got any suggestions or reviews on other things I could try please post them ASAP because I need to have something ordered and shipped before my next d/l day on friday! Thanks!

EDIT: Almost forgot, you can't carry around a bag so sneaking it is out of the question! ;) :(

Meat_Head
07-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Get a stronger grip.

ryan1117
07-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx
Get a stronger grip.
Don't take this the wrong way, but that sounds like something someone would say at a "fitness center". I don't think you realize how the bar really feels with 400+ pounds loaded on it. It feels nothing like 225 or even 315.

ryan1117
07-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Scooby-Doo
Am currently at Summer Session at Penn State and theres only one gym open, and it does not allow chalk! I've been carring around paper towels and wiping my hands between every set, and I was forced to use straps for deads (sweaty hands/lots of weight = not gonna happen). I hated using the straps, it didnt work my forearms at all. I also ripped a calus off. All in all I was pissed, I'm not going to do that again. Anyways, has anyone tried this stuff? It says it puts a light sandpaper like coating on your hands. Sounds pretty good, not like chalk, but it may be a good subsitute for 5 weeks until the gritty gym opens here. If you guys got any suggestions or reviews on other things I could try please post them ASAP because I need to have something ordered and shipped before my next d/l day on friday! Thanks!

EDIT: Almost forgot, you can't carry around a bag so sneaking it is out of the question! ;) :(

I honestly don't think straps hurt your grip as much as you would think. I was forced to used them for 5 months for the same reasons you listed. I'm back to being able to use chalk now and my grip is fine even with the heavier weights I'm lifting from back before I used straps.

Scooby-Doo
07-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx
Get a stronger grip.

My grip is plenty strong, have you ever tried to rep 400+ lbs with sweaty hands?

I might just stick with the straps and some extra direct grip training...

Has anyone ever tried this stuff? I'm really curious about it.

DK
07-06-2003, 08:33 PM
We have some at school for receivers in football. You just spray it on your gloves. It's supposed to help alot. But catching a football, is a lot different than holding 450 pounds, so I don't know.

Meat_Head
07-06-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by ryan1117

Don't take this the wrong way, but that sounds like something someone would say at a "fitness center". I don't think you realize how the bar really feels with 400+ pounds loaded on it. It feels nothing like 225 or even 315.

I have held a 400+lb bar without straps or chalk. Its no walk in the park, but its not impossible either.