PDA

View Full Version : Does fish skin have the same nutritional value as the flesh?

Ironman8
07-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Well, I grilled salmon with the skin on. When I ate the skin, it tasted all greasy. Is the skin full of fat. Or does it have the same nutritional value as the flesh? Thanks in advance.

bradley
07-06-2003, 05:10 AM
The dark meat of the salmon contains more of the n-3 fats as it is the more fatty part of the fish, and I would assume that the skin has more fat than the meat.

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by bradley
and I would assume that the skin has more fat than the meat.

More good fats (Omega-3s)?

bradley
07-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8

More good fats (Omega-3s)?

Although I am not positive, I would not think that one part of the fish would contain healthy fats and the other part of the fish would contain other less healthy fats (saturated fat for example). As far as I know salmon fat is salmon fat:)

Delphi
07-06-2003, 11:59 AM
That's something I never thought of- does the body store different fatty acids in different areas of fat? There's definite differences in the appearance, texture, and smell of the fat in different areas of a human. Example: doing a mastectomy the subcutaneous fat is different from the fat in the breast itself. And the fat changes when you go from the breast into the axilla.

I could see there being a difference in subcutaneous versus deeper fat in a warm-blooded animal, for reasons of insulation. A fish is the same temperature as the surrounding water (poikilotherm), so I doubt its subcutaneous fat is different from the fat within the meat.

I have no proof of it, but I would also think the skin has more fat in it.

bradley
07-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Delphi
I could see there being a difference in subcutaneous versus deeper fat in a warm-blooded animal, for reasons of insulation. A fish is the same temperature as the surrounding water (poikilotherm), so I doubt its subcutaneous fat is different from the fat within the meat.

Are you referring to the different types of fat tissue? White adipose tissue versus brown adipose tissue.