PDA

View Full Version : Building up for throwing

Poleary
07-05-2003, 10:01 PM
I recently finished my second year of throwing on my high school track team. My coaches agree that the only thing preventing me from doing better is the fact that i don't lift.
I don't want to do the wrong thing, so i decided to ask on this forum.
What should i work on so i can throw farther?

(BTW, just in case anyone wants to know, my pr's are 98'8" in disc, and 34"1' in shot (Yeah, i really have working on to do))

JuniorMint6669
07-05-2003, 10:33 PM
I was looking for plyometrics for myself today, and I stumbled upon this, it may help you out. It isnt really weight lifting per se, but it will help.
From http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometrics.html

Program 1 - Increase Your Throwing Power
A great program to increase your throw in football, javelin or shot, basketball, netball, baseball and softball.
Chest throw 2x10
Squat jump throw 2x10
Pullover throw 2x10
Side throw 2x10 each side
Shot put 2x5 each side

You can find out how to do the excercises here: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometricexercises.html

pusher
07-06-2003, 12:22 PM
I used be a pitcher in HS, One thing that helped me a bit were these rubber bands, there are many excercises to help with your rotator etc, this could be helpfull to you. Being stronger overall would probably help you in your sport, I definately don't see anything wrong with incorporating weight training.

PowerManDL
07-06-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm moving this here, since its more appropriate.

At any rate, yes, lifting will help you out immensely.

Here's a few examples to get you going:

http://athletics.colgate.edu/powerperformance/Workouts/TeamPages/TFM.htm

http://www.huskerpower.com/workout.html

If you have any questions about how to do the lifts themselves, look here: www.exrx.net

klbkricp
07-06-2003, 10:59 PM
for shot put do a lot of tricep work. And do push ups with your hands pointing toward each other and your middle finger tips touching. I did this this past year and improved my throw by about 6-7 feet.

FortifiedIron
07-06-2003, 11:30 PM
I would suggest a hybrid of both powerlifting and power olympic lifts (power snatch..etc) Your overall strength levels are probably low, by just doing any form of weight training you will get and see results. But the results will vary depending on what type of program you want to use what is best.

Id suggest a hybrid like I said. Working on your throwing and other quickness work. Id highly suggest working roational work with your trunk and hamering your core hard. As for upper body id suggest alot of dynamic training for speed and explosivness.

Kc

Ja113
07-07-2003, 07:38 AM
Here's another link you can try out!!

http://www.danjohn.org/coach

Thunderwulf
07-07-2003, 01:33 PM
I would agree with the previous posters.

As a thrower, your going to need quickness and explosive power.

The thing to remember with the disc or shot is that if your technique is done correct nearly all of the power will come from your legs. Don't neglect your upper body, but I've found that real distance gains are made from stronger legs.

For legs, Squats are a must. Use them to build muscle.

For explosive legs, work on short, explosive sprinting. 30 - 40 yards max.

For chest, I always loved dumbell presses, flys and tricep extensions.

For the abdomen, I did alot of russian twists using a 25lb weight.

But the most important lifts are the Clean and the snatch. Amazing lifts that give you overall body strength.

Hercule
07-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Work a lot on olympic lifts. Cleans, snatches, and push presses/jerks should be your bread and butter.

Maki Riddington
07-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Hercule
Work a lot on olympic lifts. Cleans, snatches, and push presses/jerks should be your bread and butter.

*** On top of this I'd look at the variation of squats, explosive oblique and rectus abdominal movements, cables/pullies, wood chops, balance work and upper body plyometric movements.

It appears that I may be training a talented young (mid teens) female track and field athlete (ranked second in Canada I believe) who is currently running the 1,2 and 400 meters and is throwing as well.

I will be starting with a base cycle to introduce certain movements to her and work from there and adding various movements into her program as we progress. All of the above movements will be used at some pont in her training. Everyone here has pointed you in the right direction.

Wu36
07-11-2003, 10:27 PM
All of the above sounds good, but I'd make sure you were still refining your form. At the high school level I'm sure it can still be improved.

TurboStu
07-13-2003, 12:31 PM
Just completing HS myself and throwing for my school, I found that it is beneficial to do several things. 1 -practice often and refine your form. 2 -your lifting regiment needs to be your entire body, many over look the legs when throwing, but they are the most key muscle group to throwing and throwing well in my opinion. 3 -with shot, practice the snap (movement from the chin to straight out). you might want to get a jr. high shot practice that, it's lighter (I believe it's only 8.45 lbs) and will help you get a strong and quick snap down, and then go wit the HS shot. For disc, that all depends on your throwing style. Good luck!