PDA

View Full Version : Is chocolate milk a good post HIIT drink?

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Well, I ran out of maltodextrin and the only high GI product I had in the house was Ovaltine. So, I drank it with milk and I was wondering if it refilled my muscle glycogen as maltodextrin would. Also, with chocolate milk be good for post lifting drink? Thanks in advance.

bradley
07-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Well, I ran out of maltodextrin and the only high GI product I had in the house was Ovaltine. So, I drank it with milk and I was wondering if it refilled my muscle glycogen as maltodextrin would.

Any carbohydrate can be used to refill muscle glycogen, although you would not want to use something like fructose which will preferentially refill liver glycogen.

Also, with chocolate milk be good for post lifting drink?

Well it would not be the ideal choice IMO, but it is not the worst choice either. Milk contains casien which is a slower digesting protein and chocolate milk also contains fat which would also slow digestion.

LAM
07-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Well, I ran out of maltodextrin and the only high GI product I had in the house was Ovaltine. So, I drank it with milk and I was wondering if it refilled my muscle glycogen as maltodextrin would. Also, with chocolate milk be good for post lifting drink? Thanks in advance.

after HIIT my first meal is quality proteins and EFA's. no carbs are ingested as to not interrupt the fat burning process by increased insulin levels

GhettoSmurf
07-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by LAM

after HIIT my first meal is quality proteins and EFA's. no carbs are ingested as to not interrupt the fat burning process by increased insulin levels

i dont believe eating carbs after HIIT would interrupt the fat-burning process. IMHO i'd treat it just like after a weight session. have some protein and carbs in the form of a shake.

rgkfit
07-06-2003, 04:30 PM
I would just not eat for approximately one hour or so after HIIT to maximise fat burning from the session, then have your next scheduled meal which should be obviously low glycemic if you are trying to burn fat anyway.

LAM
07-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

i dont believe eating carbs after HIIT would interrupt the fat-burning process. IMHO i'd treat it just like after a weight session. have some protein and carbs in the form of a shake.

if carbs are ingested and serum glucose levels rise how can that NOT effect lipolysis ?

with proteins and EFA's have have an insuln response but only a very small rise in serum glucose from any proteins that are oxidized. and even still the release of liver glycogen is very slow...

GhettoSmurf
07-06-2003, 09:11 PM
When you do your cardio hella intense (i.e. HIIT style), you're
going to be burning a crapload of calories not only during the session, but more importantly afterwards. And afterwards is when fat oxidation and metabolism really takes hold.

That's right, you crank up the fat burning afterwards to replace all the energy stores you burned up, and to restore homeostasis (i.e. body temperature, catecholamines, hemoglobin, myoglobin, elevated respiration, etc.).

And it doesn't matter if you eat carbs right away either. This will not inhibit the oxidation of fat.

taken from a thread @ bodybuilding.com

SoulOfKoRea
07-06-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

thread @ bodybuilding.com

:soapbox:

GhettoSmurf
07-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea

:soapbox:

just trying to back up what im saying with some info from other sources.

Tank23
07-07-2003, 12:55 AM
I agree with LAM on this one, in that carbs will prevent lipolysis directly after HIIT. But fat will still be burnt at an increased rate even hours after HIIT, the difference would probably be marginal...no?