PDA

View Full Version : How bad is fast food 4 u?

snow
07-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Is it THAT bad? I'm well aware some of the things aren't great for you, like Big Mac, Whopper, etc.. but can some stuff slide?

LAM
07-06-2003, 04:09 PM
they are mostly empty calories and trans fats. the processing of foods destroys the majority of the nutrients.

I wouldn't eat fast food more than several times a month, maximum...

GhettoSmurf
07-06-2003, 04:56 PM
some stuf like what?

when i hear fast food, i think- fried, greasy, artery-clogging foods from satan.

IMO no fast-food is good food. at least none worth buying that i can't make for myself at home.

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Well, some restaurants are serving healthier things. Mcdonald and Burger have the soy burger. Chiles has the low-fat hotdogs. And alot of restaurants have chicken burgers.

GonePostal
07-06-2003, 07:47 PM
Depends on what your goals are.

p_t
07-06-2003, 07:51 PM
what if my goals are to be pleasantly plump? Should I eat a big mac, quarter pounder with cheese, supper size fries, and a diet coke? or just go for the regular coke instead of the diet?

LAM
07-06-2003, 07:53 PM
forget the coke go for the large chocolate shake !

p_t
07-06-2003, 07:56 PM
and mabye two apple pies for 99cents?

Frankster
07-06-2003, 07:56 PM
what do you guys think of the whole wheat chicken mcgrill (from McDonalds) Tasty.. yet seems like a healthy sandwich.

p_t
07-06-2003, 08:00 PM
well I'm just curious where they keep there grill at in the place. I've only seen these flat metal plates to store grease against the food.

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Frankster
what do you guys think of the whole wheat chicken mcgrill (from McDonalds) Tasty.. yet seems like a healthy sandwich.

Chicken mcgrill tastes like ****! :mad:

GhettoSmurf
07-06-2003, 09:58 PM
im sure the "whole wheat" bun is probably enriched. :(

ZeroBurn
07-07-2003, 03:39 AM
what about something like the spicy chicken sandwich from wendy's ? without the mayo it seems healthy enough, and tasty to boot. i don't touch fast food if i can avoid it, but being on a college student's schedule and income some things can't be avoided :P

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 11:26 AM
I like the Spicy Chicken Sandwich, however, it's defaintely NOT good for you:

430 calories, 15g of fat (3 sat), 27g protein, 1240 mg sodium, 47 g carbs

I'd stay away from that one.

Ironman8
07-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by technogeeky
I like the Spicy Chicken Sandwich, however, it's defaintely NOT good for you:

430 calories, 15g of fat (3 sat), 27g protein, 1240 mg sodium, 47 g carbs

I'd stay away from that one.

Well, it looks pretty good for bulking :). But, there's a crapload of sodium.

Relentless
07-07-2003, 11:46 AM
if you're going to eat fast food, don't bother super-sizing

in fact, skip the fries and the soda... have some water instead and double up the meat in your sandwich or have a second sandwich

it won't magically make the fast food meal into 'clean eating' but the vast majority of the crap calories you get from a fast food meal come from the pop and the fries... cut these out and it at least helps mitigate the damage

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Another warning on Wendys - some of the resturants fry the grilled chicken and paint the grillmarks on there. Stay away if yours does this.

WillKuenzel
07-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Callahan

in fact, skip the fries and the soda... have some water instead and double up the meat in your sandwich or have a second sandwich

it won't magically make the fast food meal into 'clean eating' but the vast majority of the crap calories you get from a fast food meal come from the pop and the fries... cut these out and it at least helps mitigate the damage

At most Wendy's you can double the beef on the burgers for an extra 98. Just get 2 triples (no cheese and double the beef). Then take the patties out one of the sandwiches and move it to the other. That way you only get half the bread and even more beef.

But seriously, if you are out and about, you can run into the nearest grocery store instead of the drive-thru and get some pop-top tuna cans. Quite a bit cheaper and healthier.

Stabber
07-07-2003, 11:53 AM
LMAO they paint the grillmarks on the chicken! that is too funny. Glad i quit eating fast food

Ironman8
07-07-2003, 11:58 AM
Doesn't anyone eat fast food for cheatmeals? IMO, eating fast food once in a while won't hurt. It's better than eating it everyday, like alot of people do.

Ferdo
07-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Ya eat once and a while. I will eat the MCgrill after the bar, usually on a friday night, but thats about it. Although they say its healthy its not that great for you but still better then a big mac. Dont start eating every day.

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 04:22 PM
I think drowning in Chocolate Syrup and Vodka is better than eating a big mac. Those things are absolute crap.

LAM
07-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Callahan

that's a big ditto on that one....when I do eat fast food that's exactly what I do. french fries are nothing but trans fatty acids and soft drinks are nothing but teeth rooting simple sugars

GhettoSmurf
07-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Doesn't anyone eat fast food for cheatmeals? IMO, eating fast food once in a while won't hurt. It's better than eating it everyday, like alot of people do.

i'd rather have a nice home-cooked dinner.

Ironman8
07-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by technogeeky
I think drowning in Chocolate Syrup and Vodka is better than eating a big mac. Those things are absolute crap.

But dude, eating it once in a while won't hurt you. As long as you have a good excercise routine and don't sit on your ass all day.

SoulOfKoRea
07-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

But dude, eating it once in a while won't hurt you. As long as you have a good excercise routine and don't sit on your ass all day.

I agree, I think it's better to eat an occasional meal from a fast food joint(although I would rather go to an actual restaurant) when it's calling your name on a cheat day, than to give in to the demons and splurge every day of the week as people tend to do when they are on such strict diets.

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 10:06 PM
I am personally better off not cheating - I need to loose more weight than most people. So :)

ZeroBurn
07-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Well, it looks pretty good for bulking . But, there's a crapload of sodium.

well it's a good thing i'm still bulking ! :)

i usually don't have a hard time keeping my diet clean, i've dropped soda cold turkey so that's not an issue for me anymore. i'm not a big fast foods guy but my big weakness are In-N-Out fries. i don't think i could live without them. i'll maybe have an order once week or other, and even skip out on the burger. clean out the rest of the day to balance it out a bit.

i think that's the problem with bulking, it's just too damn easy to justify ordering that damn double-double.

edit: oh, and i spoke with an In-N-Out customer service representative. their fries are cooked at 350-375 F, dependent on the fries. very rarely do they go over. i was looking up smoke points, and according to most charts the smoke point is above 400 F. this would indicate to me that there are no trans fatty acids in their fries. someone correct me if i'm wrong on this one. the the other hand, i have little doubt mcd's fries contain a signficant amount of trans fats :)

Frankster
07-09-2003, 04:15 PM
What is so bad about sodium anyways? It's not like one meal a day with alot of sodium is gonna kill you, specially for bodybuilders, we drink tons and tons of water.

Frankster
07-09-2003, 04:16 PM
imo, sodium is a good tool when dieting.. not pre contest because of the water retention.. but other than that.. it's a way to make diet food tasty.

bradley
07-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Frankster
What is so bad about sodium anyways? It's not like one meal a day with alot of sodium is gonna kill you, specially for bodybuilders, we drink tons and tons of water.

I agree with you in that one higher sodium meal per day is not going to be that detrimental, but I think a chronically high sodium intake over the course of a long period of time could lead to health problems down the road. Granted there are other factors to consider such as family history of hypertension and whether or not you are overweight.

imo, sodium is a good tool when dieting.. not pre contest because of the water retention.. but other than that.. it's a way to make diet food tasty.

Well there are plenty of ways to make spice things up without adding additional salt. Learn to use different spices or maybe go with a salt substitute such as Mrs. Dash.

bradley
07-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by ZeroBurn
oh, and i spoke with an In-N-Out customer service representative. their fries are cooked at 350-375 F, dependent on the fries. very rarely do they go over. i was looking up smoke points, and according to most charts the smoke point is above 400 F. this would indicate to me that there are no trans fatty acids in their fries. someone correct me if i'm wrong on this one. the the other hand, i have little doubt mcd's fries contain a signficant amount of trans fats :)

As I mentioned in another thread, when you use the same oil for too long the smoking point will be lower. I doubt the fast food chains put changing the oil promptly at the top of their to do list:)

Frankster
07-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Well there are plenty of ways to make spice things up without adding additional salt. Learn to use different spices or maybe go with a salt substitute such as Mrs. Dash.

Yeah.. that's true.