PDA

View Full Version : help me out? im a noob...luv handles

shoulders
07-06-2003, 02:17 PM
ok, im new to weight lifting...etc.. im taking a class next year, and joining a wieght lifting team, im about 5'8 (maybe 5'9) and 170lbs, im in decent shape, but the thing that is killing me is my luv handles, it's like my upper body is muscle and the bottom isn't, kinda wierd, will just doing different types of crunches get rid of this? and running? or something i don't know about...this is what im doing now

power bar and 9oz of water for lunch, then i do crunches, then some ab stuff on a total gym, the 20 pushups, and 20 triagnle push ups, then i run 2 miles, then weights...

help would be much appreciated, thanks

Holto
07-06-2003, 02:55 PM
welcome to teh board bro...:D

Originally posted by shoulders
I do crunches, then some ab stuff on a total gym, the 20 pushups, and 20 triagnle push ups, then i run 2 miles, then weights...

for sure you are going to need a lot of help with your diet

what I can say right now is that doing all that work before weights is a terrible idea

weights first allways

shoulders
07-06-2003, 02:56 PM
ehh, im just doing it that way we used to do in FBAll...what would you suggest?

Holto
07-06-2003, 03:15 PM
weights first allways

if you can run after and be done both in 1hr thats fine

otherwise I say run on non-weight training days

shoulders
07-06-2003, 03:37 PM
ok, i;ll try that, but what about luv handles

GhettoSmurf
07-06-2003, 03:51 PM
ok, i;ll try that, but what about luv handles
what does your diet look like?

you cant spot-reduce fat.

shoulders
07-06-2003, 03:56 PM
well, i eat a power bar for lunch and water as mentioned above, then just like something small like crackers for a snack, then a resonable dinner...im probably not spicific enough

bradley
07-06-2003, 05:32 PM
well, i eat a power bar for lunch and water as mentioned above, then just like something small like crackers for a snack, then a resonable dinner...im probably not spicific enough

First thing you are going to need to eat more. I would shoot for at least 3 meals per day, and do not skip breakfast:)

You will need to make sure that you are getting adequate protein in your diet, and I would recommend ~1g per lb. of bw. Some good sources of protein would include lean beef, poultry, eggs, dairy products, protein powder etc. Just divide the amount of protein up over the number of meals that you are having per day.

Also you need some fat in your diet, more specifically essential fatty acids. Some good sources of fat would include nuts, fish oil, olive oil, natural peanut butter, and flax oil.

First you need to determine how many calories you are eating each day, and from the looks of it you are not eating enough to support your current level of activity. This could be one reason that you are finding it hard to decrease your bf%. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track cals.

Might want to look into one of the WBB routines that are listed on the main page. This would give you a routine to go by and then you could perform some cardio on your off days.

Welcome to WBB:)

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Shoulders, did you check out the HIIT sticky in the training forum? HIIT is a very effective way to lose fat.

then i run 2 miles, then weights...

I wouldn't do this. You muscle glycogen will be depleted when you hit the weights, meaning you won't have much energy.

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Also, why don't you switch that powerbar for something else? It has quite a bit of sugar.

shoulders
07-06-2003, 06:34 PM
thanks a lot guys, i don't see the HIlT sticky's..?? and what would u suggest changing the power bar too? or should i just eat like a sandwhich?

AdamGberg
07-06-2003, 07:18 PM
tuna on whole wheat bread with a fruit on the side

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 07:44 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23970

Here's the HIIT sticky.

SoulOfKoRea
07-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

what does your diet look like?

you cant spot-reduce fat.

here are some food ideas:
tuna, oatmeal, salads, chicken breasts, cottage cheese, lots and lots of vegetables

Bradley also mentioned these:

"Some good sources of protein would include lean beef, poultry, eggs, dairy products, protein powder etc.

Also you need some fat in your diet, more specifically essential fatty acids. Some good sources of fat would include nuts, fish oil, olive oil, natural peanut butter, and flax oil. "

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Adding to the foods SoulofKorea mentioned, here is a list of what people around here usually buy
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list

bradley
07-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I wouldn't do this. You muscle glycogen will be depleted when you hit the weights, meaning you won't have much energy.

Jogging would be considered more of an aerobic activity than anaerobic, but this would also depend on intensity. Aerobic activity relies mainly on fat for fuel, and as intensity increases more muscle glycogen will be used for energy.

I agree that jogging before weights would not be the best idea, but then again this would depend on your goals.

shoulders
07-07-2003, 11:05 AM
alright, thanks guys, im going to have t change what i eat, what kinda of schedule do you suggest....im going to start getting up at 8, and cook a breakfast, which i usually skip, of what? should i cook, eggs wheat toast..and OJ??? then eat lunch, and then work out...??

Ironman8
07-07-2003, 11:11 AM
should i cook, eggs wheat toast..and OJ??? then eat lunch, and then work out...??

Well, it really depends how you feel :)

Holto
07-07-2003, 11:32 AM
I'm going to start getting up at 8, and cook a breakfast, which i usually skip

tuttut

of what? should i cook, eggs wheat toast..and OJ??? then eat lunch, and then work out...??

sounds good to me fiber is essential in the morning

bradley
07-07-2003, 01:59 PM
im going to start getting up at 8, and cook a breakfast, which i usually skip, of what? should i cook, eggs wheat toast..and OJ???

It does not really matter what type of protein that you eat as long as you are getting in quality protein along with some carbs and a little fat. The carbs are not really necessary, but I would recommend eating some to help with the energy for the workout that day.

Eggs would be fine and I fine that boiling up a few every couple of days and storing them in the fridge is more convenient than boiling some everyday. I think oats would be a better choice than wheat toast, and maybe an orange instead of the OJ.

then eat lunch, and then work out...??

I would recommend waiting ~1.5-2 hours after you last whole food meal before working out, so as to make sure you don't have any stomach troubles during your workout.