PDA

View Full Version : Help with the last 10lbs?

H3V
07-06-2003, 09:52 PM
I'm new to the forum and was hoping I could get some suggestions from the group....

If I wanted to loose 10lbs as fast as possible, what would the best method be? Is it more effective to focus on cardio or my diet? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Manveet
07-06-2003, 09:54 PM
Post current diet and training routine, then we can help.

Ironman8
07-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by H3V
Is it more effective to focus on cardio or my diet?

Both dude. Also, did you check out the HIIT sticky in the training forum? It's a pretty effective way to lose fat.

H3V
07-06-2003, 10:24 PM
It has only been over the last year that I have gotten serious about getting in shape. I have dropped from about 215 to 190 by using a low carb diet, but have been stuck in the 188-192 range for the last month or so.

I still keep the carbs pretty low, but haven't been as strict. My diet may vary a bit on the weekends, but is pretty constant during the week.

Breakfast: Usually either a Detour or MetRX bar. I know i should probably eat eggs, but I can't stand them :( I also have a multivitamin.

Lunch: Usually some type of meat. It will vary between steak tips, grilled chicken breast, sliced turkey or sliced roast beef. Sometimes, if i forget my lunch, or am just sick of meat, I'll have another Detour Bar (I keep a box at my desk at work). It keeps me away from the vending machines.

Dinner: Usually steak, chicken, or hamburg

Post Workout: Myoplex Shake

I know the diet is far from perfect, but it's a far cry from my old diet of pizza and fries. :)

A few people in the forum have suggested that I'm not getting enough calories. I'm going to be paying close attention to my caloric intake this week.

I have also been pretty strict with my lifting. I usually work out in a 4 day cycle. I have seen significant gains in my strength since I started taking this seriously. I try to go at night (after 8pm) when the gym is less crowded. I can usually do all of my sets in 30-45 min.

Day 1: Chest and Triceps
Day 2: Shoulders and Legs
Day 3: Back and Biceps
Day 4: Rest or Cardio

In the last few weeks I have tried increasing my cardio, but am just getting frustrated with it. I'm thinking about trying HIIT this week.

The main reason that I want to loose the last 10lbs is that I set myself a goal of 180. Once I hit that, I can reevaluate. I'm just trying to reduce my BF% now and then I can focus on bulking up.

I was really happy with the progress that I was making, but hitting this wall has been very frustrating.

I really appreciate all of your help.

bradley
07-07-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by H3V
[B]Breakfast: Usually either a Detour or MetRX bar. I know i should probably eat eggs, but I can't stand them :( I also have a multivitamin.

Lunch: Usually some type of meat. It will vary between steak tips, grilled chicken breast, sliced turkey or sliced roast beef. Sometimes, if i forget my lunch, or am just sick of meat, I'll have another Detour Bar (I keep a box at my desk at work). It keeps me away from the vending machines.

Dinner: Usually steak, chicken, or hamburg

Post Workout: Myoplex Shake

As I mentioned earlier it looks as though you need more EFAs, and I would also throw in another meal after the post workout shake. You also might need to add some carbs to the Myoplex shake, but this would depend on the amount of carbs already contained in the shake.

Something like cottage cheese and maybe a little fat of some sort would be a good choice before bed, since the cottage cheese contains slow digesting protein and the fat will help further slow digestion.

A few people in the forum have suggested that I'm not getting enough calories. I'm going to be paying close attention to my caloric intake this week.

I agree

In the last few weeks I have tried increasing my cardio, but am just getting frustrated with it. I'm thinking about trying HIIT this week.

Increasing cardio while continuing to drop calories is not always a good thing, and could lead to LBM losses. Another thing is that if you are below 15% bf you might need to try adding in a refeed or a day or two of eating at maintenance calories. This could also help in jumpstarting your metabolism so to speak, which could have been slowed down due to extended dieting.

Manveet
07-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Keep track of cals, you gotta figure out what your maintenace is. Once you get an idea of that, you can take away a couple hundred cals, and check for any changes on the scale. If you are losing about 1lb a week, continue. As soon as weight loss stalls, cut another 100-200cals...

As bradley stated, once you get to a decent bf level, usually sub 15% you might want to try refeeds. (see sticky at top of these forums)

As for cardio, use it when you absolutely have to. I would try to manipulate my diet before I do any cardio, but that's just me. Personally, I wouldn't use cardio until cutting cals becomes more difficult.

Holto
07-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by H3V
Breakfast: Usually either a Detour or MetRX bar

IMO a bar is totally unacceptable for breakfast

more fiber, and more clean food in the morning

Scott S
07-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by H3V
If I wanted to loose 10lbs as fast as possible

Please don't. Lose about a pound a week, and you'll be able to keep most, if not all of your muscle. I did a very unstructured cut before I started lifting intelligently and I lost about 3 lbs a week for a month. My lifts all went down, and I still wasn't able to see my abs by the end. Guess what I was losing along with the fat! :bang: