PDA

View Full Version : Cardio 1st or Weights???

JIG
07-07-2003, 04:34 AM
trying to get more cardio into my training and the only time I have is at the gym due to my work hours (graveyard shift) I could run (HIIT) during lunch but at these hours the skunks are out (there bad here)....Does it matter which you do first 30 mins of cardio followed by weight training or vice versa.....ANY SUGGESTIONS

goals: like everyone less b/f ....gain LBM

THANKS

ftotti10
07-07-2003, 05:38 AM
There are pro's and cons for both.
If you do it beforehand you are using up valuable energy that you need for lifting heavy weights. If you do it afterwards you are severly impeding recovery and sending your body into a very catabolic state.

When I was faced with a similar dillema, I done my cardio first and arranged my program so that I could smaller workouts on those days. For example after cardio on day one, I just did shoulders. I was still able to give shoulders full intensity.
On my second days cardio, I just did back.

By shortening my program on days I was doing cardio, I was able to get benefits from both. However after my cardio, I drank a glucose drink and rested for 15 minutes before I started the weights.

Turboboy
07-07-2003, 07:03 AM
If it were me and I only had this small alloted time to workout and do cardio at the same time I would definately hit the weights hard first and then do a HIIT workout at the end for cardio. There are lots of fancy workouts out there but for the majority of us, we just don't have that much time in one day to get it all in. Do what you can. It's better than doing nothing!
Brad

ftotti10
07-07-2003, 07:11 AM
JIG please understand that my response is based solely on my own fitness levels. I am quite fit and have excellent stamina and recovery. Becuase of this the fifteen minute break allows me to recover in time to still hit the weights with near full intensity.
Some people may not recover in time, it would also depend on wether your priority is gaining muscle are getting leaner.

As I say there are pros and cons for both.

pusher
07-07-2003, 08:29 AM
It looks like you are very limited in time. totti's idea is good. My suggestion would be to do one or the other. If your goal is to gain LBM, then concentrate on lifting weights, and do cardio whenever you have free time, although expending extra calories on cardio, and not replacing them with food can prevent you from gaining weight/muscle. If your aim is to lose BF, then focus on cardio, do cardio first, then hit the weights although you probably wont as intensively. It is very difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, that is why I think focusing on one or the other will help you meet your goals easier, and would allow you to focus on your training more.

steveo
07-07-2003, 09:06 AM
For me it all depends on how much cardio I will do and what body part I will train that day.

Ironman8
07-07-2003, 11:36 AM
For me it depends on the intensity of my cardio. If it's vigerous, I just do weights the next day. If it's not, I just lift after.

JIG
07-07-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the info...YOUR right I need to figure out my game plan and stick with it.....not sure which will work for me....will have to give it some time.....again thanks...

dw06wu
07-08-2003, 12:59 AM
I have a question about this too.

So when can you do cardio and it burns fat? I do a heavy workout and then cardio for an hour (up from 30 mins, suggested by a friend) and the responses on these forums lead me to believe that I'm going to be burning lots of muscle.

how do i burn fat!!>!>?!?>
he;lp

ftotti10
07-08-2003, 02:59 AM
If you do intense cardio directly after a workout you will start losing muscle.
To burn fat you must perform cardio preferably on days you do not weight train or at different times of day. Keep the sessions short (20 mins) but very intense, those 20 minutes must be hell.
This will increase your metabolism and allow you to burn fat all day long.
If you have to do cardio at the same time as weights then see above answers to this thread