PDA

View Full Version : Gallon Challenge

T-Bone976
07-07-2003, 07:14 AM
I'm sure that most of you guys/gals drink a lot of milk. Has anyone here attempted to drink one gallon of milk in one hour?

According to most 'Gallon Challenge' rules, one must drink the milk in one hour and keep it down for an hour after consuming it. Also, the milk has to be 2% or whole.

:D

SoulOfKoRea
07-07-2003, 07:19 AM
I hear bad things about doing it, beware :eek:

GhettoSmurf
07-07-2003, 07:36 AM
when i was on vacation, 3 of my friends bought a gallon of coholate milk and between the 3 of them drank it in about 10-15 minutes, 2 of them ended up puking afterwords and the other felt like crap.

T-Bone976
07-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
when i was on vacation, 3 of my friends bought a gallon of coholate milk and between the 3 of them drank it in about 10-15 minutes, 2 of them ended up puking afterwords and the other felt like crap.

How did the two friends feel after they puked?

Isaac Wilkins
07-07-2003, 08:42 AM
Probably as well as expected after puking up 1/3 of a gallon of cold chocolate milk.

AdamGberg
07-07-2003, 08:47 AM
don't try to funnel water, cuz you can drown. true story.

Bruise Brubaker
07-07-2003, 10:14 AM
It's something I'd like to train for. But drinking it in one hour would be very easy... I mean, one could drink half a gallon, pee it then drink the other half in one hour.

I regularly drink a liter of chocolate milk in like 6 minutes without feeling anything special afterward. Quick way to get some good calories (ideal for my pauses at work).

I love milk.

I guess the challenge done with whole milk would be a very hard challenge.

Ironman8
07-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Well, sounds like an easy challenge. But, my arteries will probably be clogged after that :D

T-Bone976
07-07-2003, 11:43 AM
I have heard people claim that it's physically IMPOSSIBLE for our stomachs to handle that much milk (I am not talking about volume).

:eek:

thoughts...

AdamGberg
07-07-2003, 12:24 PM
soemthing about how the human stomach hasn't evolved enough for milk...

discuss...

bradley
07-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by AdamGberg
soemthing about how the human stomach hasn't evolved enough for milk...

discuss...

Well as far as I know humans are the only mammals that continue to drink milk after being weened from their mother's milk.

With that being said some argue that it is natural for humans to lose the ability to digest milk, hence the reason for the high number of people who experience some degree of lactose intolerance.

Cardinal
07-07-2003, 06:25 PM
I did the gallon challenge last september with skim milk and completed it in just over 40 minutes. I am not sure I could have handled it with whole milk.

There were about 20 people or so from a freshman dorm that attempted. 1/2 quit within 20 minutes and the other half put on a fairly artistic puking show.

Some interesting thoughts:

1) Almost everyone that puked felt far better afterwards.

2) The people that drank the most milk consistently came closest to finishing. At that time I was probably consuming several gallons a week. So in my mind, you can definitely build up tolerance for it.

3) Tbone...it may be nearly impossible for the stomach to utilize and digest that much milk. Most of it went right through my system unprocessed basically.

4) Magnus, time doesn't seem to be such a big factor in it. Drinking 1/2 gallon in 10 minutes is easy, but after that it all got much more difficult. So you can't really compare drinking 1liter in 6 minutes to the gallon challenge. And I agree, whole milk would be insane.

My strategy was just to consume as much as I could as quickly as I could, leaving just enough to know I could leisurely finish it. The volume issue definitely made things a bit uncomfortable.

T-Bone976
07-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Cardinal
I did the gallon challenge last september with skim milk and completed it in just over 40 minutes. I am not sure I could have handled it with whole milk.

There were about 20 people or so from a freshman dorm that attempted. 1/2 quit within 20 minutes and the other half put on a fairly artistic puking show.

Some interesting thoughts:

1) Almost everyone that puked felt far better afterwards.

2) The people that drank the most milk consistently came closest to finishing. At that time I was probably consuming several gallons a week. So in my mind, you can definitely build up tolerance for it.

3) Tbone...it may be nearly impossible for the stomach to utilize and digest that much milk. Most of it went right through my system unprocessed basically.

4) Magnus, time doesn't seem to be such a big factor in it. Drinking 1/2 gallon in 10 minutes is easy, but after that it all got much more difficult. So you can't really compare drinking 1liter in 6 minutes to the gallon challenge. And I agree, whole milk would be insane.

My strategy was just to consume as much as I could as quickly as I could, leaving just enough to know I could leisurely finish it. The volume issue definitely made things a bit uncomfortable.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :p

Did you do this on an empty stomach?

Cardinal
07-09-2003, 04:01 PM
I didn't have anything to eat for a couple of hours before doing it. Nor did I have anything to eat for the rest of the night =D.

It seems like it would be a lot more fun to try this with high GI cereal and milk. Refeeds anyone?

Ironman8
07-09-2003, 09:42 PM
If I did that, I would work out first. That elevated metabolism might help :)

mr_hand
07-10-2003, 10:16 AM
i've lost the ability to digest milk myself. As a youngster I used to drink milk like it was going out of style. Although I still enjoy the taste, I can no longer drink it as it only gives me terrible stomach cramps which ends with a painful trip to the bathroom for an extended period of time. Milk doesnt do this body good anymore.

Ironman8
07-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Do you buy lactose free milk? :)

Bruise Brubaker
07-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Losing my abily to digest milk would be my worst nightmare. Milk tastes so good.

Bam Bam
07-10-2003, 02:43 PM
this is not a challenge i could do this in half an hr

once in a 2 hr period (before i ever set eyes on a weight)

i had a big taco salad 1 quart of chocolate milk

steak fingers basket w fries and 1 quart of chocolate milk

rib basket 1 quart of chocolate milk

small pizza 1 quart chocolate milk

Isaac Wilkins
07-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Bam Bam
this is not a challenge i could do this in half an hr

once in a 2 hr period (before i ever set eyes on a weight)

i had a big taco salad 1 quart of chocolate milk

steak fingers basket w fries and 1 quart of chocolate milk

rib basket 1 quart of chocolate milk

small pizza 1 quart chocolate milk

Bam, I think that the food makes it easier. Something about it just being straight milk is the kicker.

I honestly don't know, I've never tried it myself (nor do I intend to). I could be totally off base.

mmckinley
07-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Kobayashi could do it

VitalRemains
07-13-2003, 06:17 PM
The Big Show could prolly do it like it was nothing

T-Bone976
07-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Well, I took the challenge this weekend. I drank 1/2 a gallon of 1% in 15 minutes. After 30 minutes, I had about 3 (12 oz) glasses to drink. I felt so crappy that I wanted to throw up so I pounded a glass and it allllll came back up :redface:
I didn't really do this with the hope that I could actually hold down an entire gallon of milk. After I lost it, I finished the remaining milk in the jug (I don't recommend this) just so that I could say that I drank an entire gallon in under an hour. I think that the official time was about 45 minutes.

Y2A
07-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Does it count if you puke? I think you should have to re-drink what you barfed back up to say you had a whole gallon. ;)

WaterWalker
07-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Well as far as I know humans are the only mammals that continue to drink milk after being weened from their mother's milk.

With that being said some argue that it is natural for humans to lose the ability to digest milk, hence the reason for the high number of people who experience some degree of lactose intolerance.

Lactose intolerance is due to the body's lack of production of the enzyme lactase. Without this enzyme, lactose cannot be broken down. Hence the reason persons without this enzyme vomit after drinking milk. It is the bodies way of expelling the abrasive substance. Just thought I would piggyback on what was said.

unshift
07-14-2003, 06:01 PM
i did it last year during school with skim milk. i didn't HAVE to puke, but i felt a hell of a lot better when i did, and plus it kept everybody entertained :)

Behemoth
07-14-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by WaterWalker

Lactose intolerance is due to the body's lack of production of the enzyme lactase. Without this enzyme, lactose cannot be broken down. Hence the reason persons without this enzyme vomit after drinking milk. It is the bodies way of expelling the abrasive substance. Just thought I would piggyback on what was said.

Hmm, well you know those lactaid tablets or whatever that are made for lactose intolerant people to be able to digest lactose? Well if you took a couple of those before your gallon challenge would that make it any easier?

donescobar2000
07-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Um...milk bloats me and backs me up...yikes. But the Casein in it is a great source of protien. I started to intake it more so my body will get used to it. I am lactose intolerant by the way. I have notice a lot of difference by using milk products. Because of my results I have calm down on using my protien shakes and just get my protein from whole food. Got milk?

WaterWalker
07-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth

Hmm, well you know those lactaid tablets or whatever that are made for lactose intolerant people to be able to digest lactose? Well if you took a couple of those before your gallon challenge would that make it any easier?

Actually yes. Just because someone is lactase deficient does not mean that they are lactose intoloerant. The reason being is that certain types of bacteria can break down the lactose sugar. Most of the people in India do not produce the lactase enzyme; however, the yogurts that they eat contain bacteria that break down lactose. I am guessing this is what is in those pills.

cphafner
07-15-2003, 06:25 PM
One of the frats at my old school made their pledges play beer pong with full(16 oz.) cups of milk. Not a pretty sight...

bradley
07-16-2003, 02:35 AM

Actually yes. Just because someone is lactase deficient does not mean that they are lactose intoloerant. The reason being is that certain types of bacteria can break down the lactose sugar. Most of the people in India do not produce the lactase enzyme; however, the yogurts that they eat contain bacteria that break down lactose. I am guessing this is what is in those pills.

In lactose intolerant individuals the lactose does not get digested because of the lack of lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down lactose. The lactose will get broken down by bacteria in the colon, which can cause gas, bloating, cramping, etc. Also undigested lactose can cause excess water in the digestive tract which can cause diarrhea.

Although the lactose is broken down eventually in the colon I do not believe that the body derives the same amount of energy as when it is absorbed in the small intestine. What I mean is that some of the energy produced by the digestion of the lactose in the colon will be used by the bacteria.

Lactaid is just a digestive enzyme that is taken by people with lactose intolerance to help them digest lactose and avoid the negative aspects associated with lactose intolerance. You can also purchase Lactaid milk which has the enzyme already added in the milk.

Reinier
07-16-2003, 02:57 AM
i regularly drink a litre in one "go" not lowering the carton till its down.... i think i could do a gallon in an hour. wouldn`t be good for ones bf% tho

Behemoth
07-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Reinier
i regularly drink a litre in one "go" not lowering the carton till its down.... i think i could do a gallon in an hour. wouldn`t be good for ones bf% tho

Why is that?

T-Bone976
07-17-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Reinier
i regularly drink a litre in one "go" not lowering the carton till its down.... i think i could do a gallon in an hour.

Go ahead and try to drink a gallon. Like I stated earlier, I drank 3 pints back to back to back. :redface:

Ed C.
07-17-2003, 02:36 PM
I drank 4 cups of milkshake, and then I had about 2 liters of water with friends as a challenge......I don't know if I could drink a gallon of milk though. I'm pretty sure I could, I drink a hell of a lot of milk and I've had a gallon of water before.

greekboy80
07-17-2003, 03:59 PM
the reason its so hard is because milk CURDLES in your stomach. it basicly turns into solid food after it curdles. wht do you think is a casien protien? any liquid protien digests fast, milk cannot! and another thing you CAN NOT pee out milk, it comes out of your rectum.

WaterWalker
07-17-2003, 05:50 PM

In lactose intolerant individuals the lactose does not get digested because of the lack of lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down lactose. The lactose will get broken down by bacteria in the colon, which can cause gas, bloating, cramping, etc. Also undigested lactose can cause excess water in the digestive tract which can cause diarrhea.

I guess I am not understanding what you are trying to say. Without lactase, one cannot break down lactose. No, we are not all born with the bacteria capable of breaking down lactose. It is derived from live cultures such as from yogurts like I said previously. The source of anguish comes from the inability to break down lactose. It becomes a poison for the body. True, breakdown of lactose by bacteria causes gas and bloating, but that is not what causes the vomiting and expulsion of lactose.

bradley
07-18-2003, 03:30 AM

I guess I am not understanding what you are trying to say. Without lactase, one cannot break down lactose.

Agreed

No, we are not all born with the bacteria capable of breaking down lactose. It is derived from live cultures such as from yogurts like I said previously.

You are correct in that we are not all born with bacteria in our colon, but within 24 hours you will start to see bacteria growing. Yogurt, milk, etc. are not the only sources of these bacteria that live in the colon. You will still have bacteria living in the colon regardless of whether or not you eat foods that contain live cultures.

The source of anguish comes from the inability to break down lactose. It becomes a poison for the body. True, breakdown of lactose by bacteria causes gas and bloating, but that is not what causes the vomiting and expulsion of lactose.

The whole reason that lactose intolerant individuals experience cramping, bloating, etc. is due to the bacteria in the colon, which we both agree on. If lactose left the body undigested by bacteria then you would probably not see the negative effects associated with lactose intolerance. It would just be excreted by the body. A good example of this would be the fat substitute olestra which is undigestable by the body, although it can cause loose stools and some stomach discomfort.

Also I do not believe that vomiting is one of the common symptoms associated with lactose intolerance. If you think about it lactose can make it all the way to the colon undigested, and I doubt that you would be able to regurgitate (sp?) the contents of the colon.

T-Bone976
07-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by greekboy80
the reason its so hard is because milk CURDLES in your stomach. it basicly turns into solid food after it curdles. wht do you think is a casien protien? any liquid protien digests fast, milk cannot! and another thing you CAN NOT pee out milk, it comes out of your rectum.

Yep, I was deffinetly 'blowing chunks' :redface:

WaterWalker
07-20-2003, 09:31 PM

Also I do not believe that vomiting is one of the common symptoms associated with lactose intolerance. If you think about it lactose can make it all the way to the colon undigested, and I doubt that you would be able to regurgitate (sp?) the contents of the colon.

Good point!:thumbup:

GuitarPlayer
07-22-2003, 12:07 AM
if you are lactose intolerant or if you don't want milkfat and cholesterol...and if you don't want the bitterness in milk

drink soy milk

BigAlex68
01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, of course it is possible to drink a gallon of milk in without vomitting, check my video out please: youtube.com/watch?v=eepRQxfCYp8
thanks,
Alex

Optimum08
01-28-2007, 09:43 PM
holy old thread batman.

bill
01-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Alex I guess you have to chug it in a bath tub.

Joshua Davis
01-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I drank 1 gallon of whole milk on a $200 dare from my best friend. The last quart was the worst experience of my life... I came close to barfing, but I needed the bragging rights, and the money.

Everyone that says "Oh, I have drank 2 quarts of milk at a time and felt fine, I could do it!" doesn't know what the milk is doing in your stomach. I downed the first 3 quarts easily within 20 minutes... then it was like I hit a wall. I sipped the remainder of the last quart for 40 minutes, stifling vomit in between each sip. To top it all off, my "friend" was trying to get me to puke by talking about all the times he had drank beer with cigarette butts in it, moldy food, and bowel movement consistency stories...

If anyone has ever put whole milk and vinegar into the same container and let them sit for awhile, they would know that milk curdles under acidic conditions. Well, what's in your stomach? What happens when 3 quarts of milk begins to ferment thanks to a little help from stomach acid? Your guts start making cottage cheese, that's what... that's why you go pukeys.

Mad Martigan
01-28-2007, 11:12 PM
WTF? Bitterness in milk? Stop drinking buttermilk.

whiteman90909
01-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Check near the end, someone did it. (http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=79090)
Edit- Didnt notice it was already posted.

BostonBull
01-29-2007, 06:44 PM
It is also believed to be physically impossible to ingest 1 TEAspoon of cinnamon all at once with no liquids for at least ten minutes.....I can post some very funny attempts if need be.

DaveG
01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
meh... I've got a couple friends that have done this more than once. One of them claims it doesn't make him feel sick at all. I haven't tried it personally, but for the right price, I'd give it a go!

BostonBull
01-31-2007, 01:49 PM
meh... I've got a couple friends that have done this more than once. One of them claims it doesn't make him feel sick at all. I haven't tried it personally, but for the right price, I'd give it a go!

Thats impressive that you know a COUPLE people that have DONE this!! I have seen a few of my friends try and NONE of them have come close. One got the gallon of milk down in an hour but under 5 minutes later it came right back up.

Your friends did use WHOLE milk and kept it down for an hour right?

tigo
02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
If you do try it, make sure you're near a toilet because if you don't puke your ass will probably explode :fart:

DaveG
02-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Thats impressive that you know a COUPLE people that have DONE this!! I have seen a few of my friends try and NONE of them have come close. One got the gallon of milk down in an hour but under 5 minutes later it came right back up.

Your friends did use WHOLE milk and kept it down for an hour right?

When I watched, one of them used whole, one used 2%. Both guys are 50-100lbs overweight, so maybe that has some bearing on it. I think it was on Jack Ass where they did the Egg Nog challenge. Same idea, only with Egg Nog. I think that would make it even harder!