PDA

View Full Version : 30-40% FAT = Testosterone

frankm007
07-07-2003, 08:25 AM
verwijder

bradley
07-07-2003, 08:46 AM
***Here are some studies that I found that might interest you:D

Diet and serum sex hormones in healthy men.

Hamalainen E, Adlercreutz H, Puska P, Pietinen P.

The possible effect of dietary fat content and the ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acids (P/S-ratio) on serum sex hormones was studied in 30 healthy male volunteers. The customary diet of the subjects, which supplied 40% of energy as fat (mainly from animal sources, P/S-ratio 0.15) was replaced for a 6 weeks period by a practically isocaloric experimental diet containing significantly less fat (25% of energy) with a higher P/S-ratio (1.22) and other environmental factors were stabilized. Serum testosterone and 4-androstenedione decreased from 22.7 +/- 1.1 nmol/l to 19.3 +/- 1.2 nmol/l, (SEM, P less than 0.001) and from 4.6 +/- 0.2 nmol/l to 4.3 +/- 0.2 nmol/l (SEM, P less than 0.01), respectively. These changes were paralleled by a reduction in serum free (non-protein bound) testosterone (P less than 0.01) suggesting a possible change in biological activity. During the low fat period a significant negative correlation between serum prolactin and androgens was observed. All the changes in androgen levels were reversible. With the exception of a small but non-significant decrease in serum estradiol-17 beta, the other hormone parameters were practically unaffected by the dietary manipulation. Our results indicate that in men a decrease in dietary fat content and an increase in the degree of unsaturation of fatty acids reduces the serum concentrations of androstenedione, testosterone and free testosterone. The mechanism and importance of this phenomenon is discussed in the light of epidemiological and experimental data.

------------------------------------------------------

Dietary lipids: an additional regulator of plasma levels of sex hormone binding globulin.

Reed MJ, Cheng RW, Simmonds M, Richmond W, James VH.

The effect of dietary lipid consumption on plasma levels of sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG), free testosterone and cholesterol was studied in 6 normal men. After consuming a diet with a high fat content (greater than 100 g fat/day) for two weeks, the mean plasma cholesterol level increased (p less than 0.02) while the mean SHBG level decreased (p less than 0.02). Changing the diet from one with a high fat to low fat content (less than 20 g fat/day) for a further two week period resulted in a significant reduction in mean plasma cholesterol level (p less than 0.001) while the mean SHBG level increased (p less than 0.01). The increase in plasma SHBG was associated with a significant decrease in the free testosterone fraction and free testosterone concentration. No significant changes were detected in plasma samples obtained from the same men during a control period. The results from this study demonstrate that dietary lipid intake is an additional factor involved in the regulation of plasma levels of SHBG.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Testosterone and cortisol in relationship to dietary nutrients and resistance exercise.

Volek JS, Kraemer WJ, Bush JA, Incledon T, Boetes M.

Department of Kinesiology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA.

Manipulation of resistance exercise variables (i.e., intensity, volume, and rest periods) affects the endocrine response to exercise; however, the influence of dietary nutrients on basal and exercise-induced concentrations of hormones is less understood. The present study examined the relationship between dietary nutrients and resting and exercise-induced blood concentrations of testosterone (T) and cortisol (C). Twelve men performed a bench press exercise protocol (5 sets to failure using a 10-repetitions maximum load) and a jump squat protocol (5 sets of 10 repetitions using 30% of each subject's 1-repetition maximum squat) with 2 min of rest between all sets. A blood sample was obtained at preexercise and 5 min postexercise for determination of serum T and C. Subjects also completed detailed dietary food records for a total of 17 days. There was a significant (P < or = 0.05) increase in postexercise T compared with preexercise values for both the bench press (7.4%) and jump squat (15.1%) protocols; however, C was not significantly different from preexercise concentrations. Significant correlations were observed between preexercise T and percent energy protein (r = -0.71), percent energy fat (r = 0.72), saturated fatty acids (g.1,000 kcal-1.day-1; r = 0.77), monounsaturated fatty acids (g.1,000 kcal-1.day-1; r = 0.79, the polyunsaturated fat-to-saturated fat ratio (r = -0.63), and the protein-to-carbohydrate ratio (r = -0.59). There were no significant correlations observed between any nutritional variables and preexercise C or the absolute increase in T and C after exercise. These data confirm that high-intensity resistance exercise results in elevated postexercise T concentrations. A more impressive finding was that dietary nutrients may be capable of modulating resting concentrations of T.

bradley
07-07-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by frankm007
I've always used 20% of my total calories from FAT, but recently i read how fat does = more testosterone (good fat of course), is this so? will boosting my fat to 30 help...

Sure it might help, but how much I am unsure of. It certainly will not hurt anything:)

Isaac Wilkins
07-07-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Sure it might help, but how much I am unsure of. It certainly will not hurt anything:)

Amen. I've found that for most weight-trainers basing the diet on protein (whatever your goal happens to be, usually 1-2g/lb of bodyweight), then getting 30% of cals from fats, and filling the rest with carbs tends to work quite well. Often it ends up being close to isocaloric. If one is an athlete, then perhaps that needs to be adjusted, but if one is a bodybuilder or powerlifter outside of contest prep, it should be quite smooth.

Holto
07-07-2003, 10:02 AM
I think the logic is that increasing fat intake will only increase test production if your diet was lacking fat to begin with

Holto
07-07-2003, 11:37 AM
if you're worried about test levels 20% is borderline

I vaugely remeber a clinical study that shows test levels dropped when the % went below 20

it would depend on total caloric intake though...

if you're bulking it should be fine

Behemoth
07-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Definetly up it. No need for 40% carbs with only 20% fat IMO. Just up it slowly.