PDA

View Full Version : Very kewl....

Fenbay
07-07-2003, 09:26 AM
So my diet has pretty much sucked for the last month. By sucking I mean not counting calories or macro break-down, eating too much zero nutrional value stuff like cookies and what-not, BUT

I decided to weigh this morning as I'm having that "ready to get serious" feeling coming on again and wanted to see what damage had been done. And..drum roll... no weight gain since I last weiged in while being serious on my diet.

My deduction: my work-outs never changed even though my diet slipped. I am now a firm believer in adding lean body mass in the form of muscle leading to heightened metabolism. I had always heard that you burn more calories the more muscle mass you gain, but had never noticed it really making a difference.

I'm wondering now if I have replaced enough fat with muscle that I can basically maintain my body weight eating like what I consider a normal person.

Holto
07-07-2003, 09:57 AM
yes it's very cool

I think having significant muscle is the key to being able to consume large amounts of simple sugars post w/o also

muscle burns calories at rest to maintain temperature and fat burns Zero cals in any situation

now try to drum up some inspiration to get back on a super clean diet

when I hit this point I ate junk for about 6 months

Ironman8
07-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Yup, that's the beauty of metabolism :)

bradley
07-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Fenbay
My deduction: my work-outs never changed even though my diet slipped. I am now a firm believer in adding lean body mass in the form of muscle leading to heightened metabolism. I had always heard that you burn more calories the more muscle mass you gain, but had never noticed it really making a difference.

I'm wondering now if I have replaced enough fat with muscle that I can basically maintain my body weight eating like what I consider a normal person.

One thing that comes to mind is your bodies set-point, which is the bodyfat your body will try and keep you at without much effort. Some people naturally have low set-points which is the reason they can stay lean with little or no effort (dieting).

You could just be at your set-point:)

bradley
07-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Holto
muscle burns calories at rest to maintain temperature and fat burns Zero cals in any situation

What about the role of brown adipose tissue, more specifically brown adipose tissue thermogenesis (BATT)?

mmckinley
07-07-2003, 03:28 PM
I don't think humans have a lot (if any) brown fat do they? I thought it was found mainly in hibernating animals that need to increase body temp after hibernating.

bradley
07-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by mmckinley
I don't think humans have a lot (if any) brown fat do they? I thought it was found mainly in hibernating animals that need to increase body temp after hibernating.

**I agree that they do not have a large amount of BAT and it probably really is not significant, but they do have it. I was really making a point that some fat does more than just store energy:)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12004574&dopt=Abstract

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thermogenesis and brown fat: relevance to human obesity.

Stock MJ.

Department of Physiology, St. George's Hospital Medical School, University of London, UK.

Brown adipose tissue (BAT) is a specialized thermogenic tissue, which is highly vascularized and richly innervated with sympathetic nerves. Due to the high thermogenic capacity (500 W/kg) even very small quantities such as those found in adult man can significantly influence het production. As little as 50 g BAT could make a contribution of 10-15% to energy turnover in man. This would be more than sufficient to cause large differences in fat deposition between individuals with active or inactive dietary induced thermogenesis. Recent research has revealed the presence of an atypical beta-adrenoreceptor on BAT, tentatively designated as beta 3-adrenoreceptor. The development of beta 3-agonists offers an opportunity to treat obesity without the cardiovascular and other undesirable side-effects of conventional adrenergic agonists.

Holto
07-07-2003, 05:20 PM
so how many cals does a lb of brown fat burn in an hour ?

muscle requires 50 cals to maintian a temp of 98.5

and then of each lb of human fat how much is brown ?

didn't know fat could burn energy though, thanks

bradley
07-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Holto
so how many cals does a lb of brown fat burn in an hour ?

Not really sure:)

and then of each lb of human fat how much is brown ?

The amount of BAT that adult humans have is probably insignificant in the grand scheme of things although some populations living in cold weather climates have more BAT than say someone living in a tropical climate.

Infants have a higher percentage of BAT so as to regulate body temperature, but the way I understand it the percentage of BAT drops as the individual gets older. The thyroid gland then takes over the role of the regulation of body temperature.

Some humans have managed to retain a larger percentage of their BAT which allows them to eat more, similar to an overactive thyroid.