PDA

View Full Version : bent the bar today

synthetic
07-07-2003, 04:57 PM
i was doing shrugs today and ive gotten up to 7 plates max. well when i was jsut doing 5 the bar bent today, (not fully, maybe a 2" dept curve). well the worksers at the gym will were pissed since it takes em forever to buy a new one. ya it makes me feel good even tho its not much :D

Maki Riddington
07-07-2003, 05:25 PM
It's the gyms fault, they should have purchased a bar that supports up to a thousand pounds.

Meat_Head
07-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by synthetic
i was doing shrugs today and ive gotten up to 7 plates max. well when i was jsut doing 5 the bar bent today, (not fully, maybe a 2" dept curve). well the worksers at the gym will were pissed since it takes em forever to buy a new one. ya it makes me feel good even tho its not much :D

Bars bend... its part of life :P

Bend as many as you can before they throw you out :D

ryan1117
07-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
It's the gyms fault, they should have purchased a bar that supports up to a thousand pounds.
:withstupi

Hercule
07-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Just a weak bar. I have loaded 450 on my bar at home, and it doesn't bend at all. Straight as can be the whole time.

Turboboy
07-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Nice!!! Great job! Most gyms buy the cheap bars and it's our duty to bend them. lol!

benchmonster
07-08-2003, 12:18 PM
It is your obligation to ruin these cheap ass bars that they have at most gyms.

We have some good bars, but a few cheapies too. I find that doing rack lockouts for squats, or 1/4 reps in squat from the bottom position is a good way to weed out the bars that don't belong.

900 lbs is the most I have worked up to on these. A good quality Texas PowerBar will handle this weight with ease. Those crappy chrome bars that come with the 300 lb olympic set for 300 bucks that most gyms like to use, however, will not handle this type of a load.

Hopefully they will replace those crappy bars with a good bar. Good work.

B.

ElPietro
07-08-2003, 12:24 PM
I dunno, my gym still has bars that are somewhat bent. F*cking ruins my shoulders on squats if I don't notice.

Alex.V
07-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Well, once they really get broken in, they're just more ergonomic. :)

I agree with these guys, though... bars shouldn't warp like that, it is your duty to wreck 'em. All this is not to mention the considerable safety hazard they pose.

Ironman8
07-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Hercule
Just a weak bar. I have loaded 450 on my bar at home, and it doesn't bend at all. Straight as can be the whole time.

True man. I load mine up with 400s (don't laugh:)) and use it dozens of times. No problems yet.

WestyHeadbanger
07-09-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Hercule

yeah they dont bend when they are just sitting there.

Hercule
07-09-2003, 10:07 AM
LMAO! Haha, smartass.

Budiak
07-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Some bars in my gym aren't phased until they are loaded with over 400 pounds, others start bending around 225. I dont know. We have 2 chrome POSs there that I just want to destroy, and some really tough knurled solid ones that I make sure I use for SLDL, squat, etc.

Its strange when you pull a bar off of a rack or from the pins and you feel yourself pulling the bar up before the weight starts moving. Quite rewarding, actually.

PowerManDL
07-11-2003, 03:36 PM
We've got a few in my sights that were bending with 5 plates yesterday. I have a feeling I'll be wrecking them before the year's out.