PDA

View Full Version : Setting dietary breakdown goals

geoffgarcia
07-07-2003, 09:36 PM
I'm going to be keeping track of my diet and am wondering what kinda numbers should I be looking to hit as far as
Calories
Protein
Carbs
Fat

I'm 27
5'10 185lbs at about 9%bf

I goto the gym 4 times a week
I am on the WBB#1 routine currently (in a 4 day split obviously) I do 10 minutes of vigorous cardio for warmup.

I'd like to gain some muscle (3-7lbs a year) and hopefully drop 1-2% of bodyfat over the next 4 months

hope that helps.
I would guess (completely off the top of my head)
Calories :2300
Protein: 180g
Carbs 400g
Fat 100g

please give me any pointers you might have.
Thanks,
Geoff

bradley
07-08-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
I'm going to be keeping track of my diet and am wondering what kinda numbers should I be looking to hit as far as
Calories
Protein
Carbs
Fat

As far as calories go just slowly increase/decrease cals in small increments each week until you are gaining/losing the desired amount of weight each week. I would recommend not trying to gain more than ~.5lbs per week and shoot to lose no more than a 1lb. a week.

Get ~1g of protein per lb. of bw and ~25-30% of daily cals from fat. You can then fill in the rest of your daily cals with carbohydrates. Most of your fats should come from healthy sources such as fish oil, olive oil, nuts, flax oil, natural peanut butter, etc.

I'd like to gain some muscle (3-7lbs a year) and hopefully drop 1-2% of bodyfat over the next 4 months

Focusing on one goal at a time would be your best bet. Maybe try to gain some muscle and then diet down a little, which would yield better results than trying to do both at once.

I would guess (completely off the top of my head)
Calories :2300
Protein: 180g
Carbs 400g
Fat 100g

Well using that macro breakdown you would come up with 3220 cals.:)

1 g protein or carbohydrate=4 calories
1g fat = 9 calories

geoffgarcia
07-09-2003, 09:02 PM
bradley, I have enough muscle, and I'm just looking for small growth here in gains and in bodyfat loss....so my goals are very attainable. I just want to make sure my diet is properly aligned.

I've been using a program called dietOrganizer to track my eating habits

Over the last 3 days this has been my breakdown
day1
Calories 1990
fat 52
carbs 216
proteins 165
breakdown= 23/43/33

day2
calories 2342
fat 65
carbs 256
proteins 161
breakdown= 25/43/27

day3
calories 2152
fat 71
carbs 227
proteins 157
breakdown= 29/42/29

I'm going to try to up my protein intake to be between 170-190, probably by adding a morning and nightly protein shake

I'm currently taking fat supplements
interchanging Olive oil, and high Oleic Safflower oil, will be picking up some Flax tomorrow, and will take 2 tbsps total per day (flax + saf or olive)

are my ratios ok?
should i take in more/less fat/carbs/total calories?

I workout 4 days a week
10 minutes of fairly intense cardio warmup (heartbeat around 150, burning around 185 calories according to the machine)

and then do a modified wbb#1 routine which takes about 30 minutes per routine.

Advice?

bradley
07-10-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
bradley, I have enough muscle, and I'm just looking for small growth here in gains and in bodyfat loss....so my goals are very attainable. I just want to make sure my diet is properly aligned.

I was just pointing out that gaining muscle while losing bf is not usually seen in trained individuals, although it is possible:)

Over the last 3 days this has been my breakdown
day1
Calories 1990
fat 52
carbs 216
proteins 165
breakdown= 23/43/33

Cals look a little low on this day IMO.

day2
calories 2342
fat 65
carbs 256
proteins 161
breakdown= 25/43/27

day3
calories 2152
fat 71
carbs 227
proteins 157
breakdown= 29/42/29

Days 2 and 3 look fine IMO, although you should monitor your progress from week to week and adjust cals accordingly.

I'm going to try to up my protein intake to be between 170-190, probably by adding a morning and nightly protein shake

Sounds like a plan.

I'm currently taking fat supplements
interchanging Olive oil, and high Oleic Safflower oil, will be picking up some Flax tomorrow, and will take 2 tbsps total per day (flax + saf or olive)

Most people get enough n-6 fats through their diet so I really do not see the need for the safflower oil, but this would also be dependant on the other fat sources in your diet. I would probably just add in more olive oil which can be considered a "neutral fat" or maybe more n-3 fats.

Fish oil would be a better choice over the flax oil, since it supplies EPA/DHA directly where as you have to rely on the conversion of ALA when taking flax oil. Which is not an effecient process in the body.