PDA

View Full Version : Dieting to long

kozen
07-08-2003, 08:28 AM
I heard that dieting/ eating in a calorie deficit to long can halt results due to your bodies adaptive nature. Your metabolism is slowed and your body gets used to eating at a lower calorie count then maintenece. Is this true? Anyone have any idea how long is to long? What are the remedies for this situation? I have been dieting for a while and i have stopped all progress what so ever.

Thanks for the help.

Isaac Wilkins
07-08-2003, 09:34 AM
It really depends upon a lot of things. If one starts out quite lean, then the body can shut down very quickly. If one starts out quite obese, then it may take much, much longer.

Give us some more information. What is your diet/exercise routine like? Where are you now, where did you start, and how long have you been dieting?

Ironman8
07-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Well, people incorperate refeed day (eating more calories than you usually do) to boost up their metabolism.

Sara
07-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Well, people incorperate refeed day (eating more calories than you usually do) to boost up their metabolism.

You should do this if results have stopped, it really works, have a day every 1-1.5 weeks where you refeed or cheat!!

Holto
07-08-2003, 11:20 AM
re-feeds are great

if they don't cut it because you're really shut down eat maintenance cals for a few weeks

kozen
07-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Well right now i am approx 5'10 175 with 15 percent body fat. I have come along ways.. a year ago i was around 270.
I didnt know much about nutrition and i wanted to lose weight- i did 2 hours of running/cardio a day on an empty stomach, and ate about 1200 calories a day.
I lost alot of weight, but alot of it was muscle. I got down to 185 in 2 months. This was last August.
I contiuned eating very little everyday, even after i had lost that much weight. I never ate anything that was deemed "unhealthy" ( fried, sugary, etc)
I started learning about Nutrition in December, and got serious with it around Febuary. I started a high protein/ low carb diet. At first, i noticed results- not on the scale, but thorugh the mirror, my flab was turning into muscle. I ate real clean, no cheat days. Around the beginning of May i noticed my progress had halted- i tried adding/reducing calories, playing around with macronutrients, doing additional cardio sessions/HIIT sessions, but all the progress has stopped.

This is my diet and schedule as of now.

Breakfast- egg whites, + oatmeal
snack- tuna sandwhich with whole grain bread
lunch- 2 chicken breasts with a bowl of brown rice
post workout- 30 g protein shake
dinner- 2 chicken breast + veggies + flax oil

calories comes out to approx 2100
50p/30c/20f

That is on the days i train/cardio.
On my rest day its bascially the same except i subisute some carbs with almonds, calories on thsoe days come out to approx 2300 50p/20c/30f

My training schedule is as follows.

Day 1: Empty stomach Cardio (40 min ) + Bicep/back in afternoon
Day2: HIIT cardio on empty stomach ( 20 Min) + shoulders in afternoon
Day 3: Empty stomach cardio (40 min) + HIIT (20 min) in afternoon
Day 4: Rest
Day5: Legs
Day6: HIIT in after noon (20 min)
Day7: Mornining Cardio (40 min) + chest/triceps

I have been supplementing with SAN! Tight for the past 2 weeks.

I have been told by some people that my metabolism has stopped, and that i need a 6 week bulking period to restart my metabolsim.. but i am very scared of bulking due to my prior weight. What should i do ?

Isaac Wilkins
07-08-2003, 11:39 AM
I don't know if I'd say "bulking" would be the way to go.

I would suggest a refeed, maybe in the 3000-3500 calorie range for one day, and 2750 for the next. Prior to this, establish your maintenance level, there are a ton of calculators. They won't be perfect, but they'll give you an idea.

I would say that (assuming you're male, and regardless actually based upon your size) that 2100 is far too low. Especially given your heavy cardio/HIIT routine.

Eat at maintenance (2500+) for two to three weeks. See if you feel more energetic for your workouts. You might be better off eating more while sticking to the active routine to drop the fat.

Many precontest bodybuilders of your size don't go down to 2100 cals or below, unless they're RIGHT before a show, and they're already much leaner than you are.

raniali
07-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Borris

Eat at maintenance (2500+) for two to three weeks. See if you feel more energetic for your workouts. You might be better off eating more while sticking to the active routine to drop the fat.

not sure if 2500 is maintenance for you or not, but it would be a good start. i might even try eating towards 3000 for at least a week, then coming back down a little. it is all trial and error. but being in a calorie deficit for so long, "over-eating" for a short time won't be harmful at all and is more likely to be beneficial than anything.

Isaac Wilkins
07-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by raniali

not sure if 2500 is maintenance for you or not, but it would be a good start. i might even try eating towards 3000 for at least a week, then coming back down a little. it is all trial and error. but being in a calorie deficit for so long, "over-eating" for a short time won't be harmful at all and is more likely to be beneficial than anything.

Exactly, that's why I wanted him to use the formula then adjust.

I'm sure 2500 isn't maintenance, but it'll be a reasonable jump from where he is now. It'll give him a starting point (I'd like to see higher than 2500, myself).

bradley
07-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by kozen
This is my diet and schedule as of now.

Breakfast- egg whites, + oatmeal
snack- tuna sandwhich with whole grain bread
lunch- 2 chicken breasts with a bowl of brown rice
post workout- 30 g protein shake
dinner- 2 chicken breast + veggies + flax oil

calories comes out to approx 2100
50p/30c/20f

That is on the days i train/cardio.
On my rest day its bascially the same except i subisute some carbs with almonds, calories on thsoe days come out to approx 2300 50p/20c/30f

My training schedule is as follows.

Day 1: Empty stomach Cardio (40 min ) + Bicep/back in afternoon
Day2: HIIT cardio on empty stomach ( 20 Min) + shoulders in afternoon
Day 3: Empty stomach cardio (40 min) + HIIT (20 min) in afternoon
Day 4: Rest
Day5: Legs
Day6: HIIT in after noon (20 min)
Day7: Mornining Cardio (40 min) + chest/triceps

I have been supplementing with SAN! Tight for the past 2 weeks.

I agree with the others in that you need more cals in general, and also try incorporating some EFAs into your diet.

I think the idea of eating at maintenance or a little above is sound advice seeing as how your weight loss has stalled. I would just slowly work my way back up over the course of a week or two, and don't worry about the initial weight gain that you see which will more than likely be water/glycogen weight.

Also I would re-think your current training routine. All of that cardio on an empty stomach, coupled with the large amounts of HIIT training is probably causing some LBM losses. Have you thought about maybe a going to a more basic routine such as WBB1 and performing cardio on off days. If you plan on sticking with the above routine you have to make sure that you eat enough cals to sustain that activity level.

kozen
07-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it. I will try all the suggested advice and hopefully i will report back with good news.