PDA

View Full Version : Bulk or cut first?

furious
07-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Alright guys,

I am at a relatively high bodyfat for me, and Ive gained about 5 pounds on my bulk so far. I want to be about my current weight, but at a lower level of bodyfat, would it make more sense to cut and then rebulk, or rather continue to bulk slowly for about 5 more pounds and then cut back to this weight. If I were to continue to bulk, would it be possible to cut and end up back at my current weight with a lower level of bodyfat? Let me know your thoughts.

Berserker
07-08-2003, 07:52 PM
I would cut. If you keep bulking your gonna put some fat on, so then you will have even more fat. Unless your comfortable with the fat. Personally I am not. Your choice.

AJ_11
07-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
I would cut. If you keep bulking your gonna put some fat on, so then you will have even more fat. Unless your comfortable with the fat. Personally I am not. Your choice.

Not unless your caloric intake is huge. You can try a clean bulk. Eat a bit above maintence with your cals coming from clean sources and train hard. IMO, its possible.

JuniorMint6669
07-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Im in the same position as you are. Id love to be 180-185 at 10-12%. Thats my goal. Right now im 182, ~16%. If I continued to bulk, id have to get up in the 190's, and probably buy new clothes, then cut and waste some $$$. So instead, Im cutting first, down to 170-175, and all I'll need to buy is a new belt. Then I can rebulk. To my desired weight. Thats how Im gonna do it, maybe you will too :D

AJ_11
07-08-2003, 11:24 PM
Bulk = Muscle Gain, also Fat Gain
Cut = Fat Loss, also Muscle Loss

Viscous Cycle isn't it. I made the mistake of "bulking" and now I am cutting all of the fat that I had gained during that time. All in all I will look the same each time(more or less)

I wish I just cleanly bulked in the first place and just chose a healthy lifestyle to begin with. I know I would still be "bulking" now and probably appreciating the results alot more than going through what I am going through right not. Focus on building muscle not fat during a cut and then there would be no reason for you to want to cut.

If you guy are contimpating going either way that means that you are not that fat. Just eat clean, train with intensity and get plenty of rest. ad you will build muscle. Take it from someone who is sick of cutting.

bradley
07-09-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by furious
I am at a relatively high bodyfat for me, and Ive gained about 5 pounds on my bulk so far. I want to be about my current weight, but at a lower level of bodyfat, would it make more sense to cut and then rebulk, or rather continue to bulk slowly for about 5 more pounds and then cut back to this weight. If I were to continue to bulk, would it be possible to cut and end up back at my current weight with a lower level of bodyfat? Let me know your thoughts.

If you want to be at your current weight, but at a lower bf% then you are going to have to try to increase your LBM and then diet back down a bit. If you concentrate on gaining at a slow rate, you will help minimize the amount of fat that you gain.

On the other hand if you feel uncomfortable with the bf that you already have then you might want to start cutting now because more than likely you are going to put on some bf when gaining weight.

It really boils down to your personal goals, but keep in mind the more bf you gain the longer you will have to diet.

bradley
07-09-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
Im in the same position as you are. Id love to be 180-185 at 10-12%. Thats my goal. Right now im 182, ~16%. If I continued to bulk, id have to get up in the 190's, and probably buy new clothes, then cut and waste some $$$. So instead, Im cutting first, down to 170-175, and all I'll need to buy is a new belt. Then I can rebulk. To my desired weight. Thats how Im gonna do it, maybe you will too :D

IMO this is the way to go. The higher your bf% the more likely you are to gain bf when bulking.

furious
07-09-2003, 06:14 AM
Well the thing is, my bodyfat isnt that high really. I can still see most of my abs, so I estimate it is like 11-12%. The thing is, I lost alot of weight (muscle weight) recently, and my diet has been ****e, which has resulted in me gaining bodyfat at this lower weight. I have weighed more at a lesser bodyfat, and I am still too thin in my opinion. I needed to gain quickly for several reasons, so I jumped like 5-7 pounds in 2 weeks, I noticed this change in my face bloating in particular. Could some of this be water weight in my face? I am hoping that if I perhaps increase my cardio it will help cut it down, but that is really my primary concern. My body looks much better wiith weight, and I could actually stand to gain more, I just need to know how long it would take to get back to the 7-9% I used to be at this weight. Perhaps some of you could offer your continued insights on these concerns.

bradley
07-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by furious
Well the thing is, my bodyfat isnt that high really. I can still see most of my abs, so I estimate it is like 11-12%. The thing is, I lost alot of weight (muscle weight) recently, and my diet has been ****e, which has resulted in me gaining bodyfat at this lower weight. I have weighed more at a lesser bodyfat, and I am still too thin in my opinion. I needed to gain quickly for several reasons, so I jumped like 5-7 pounds in 2 weeks, I noticed this change in my face bloating in particular. Could some of this be water weight in my face? I am hoping that if I perhaps increase my cardio it will help cut it down, but that is really my primary concern. My body looks much better wiith weight, and I could actually stand to gain more, I just need to know how long it would take to get back to the 7-9% I used to be at this weight. Perhaps some of you could offer your continued insights on these concerns.

My advice would be to clean up your diet while still maintaining a calorie surplus, since it sounds as though you still want to gain weight. If you want to add in some cardio that would be fine, and I would just throw a couple of cardio sessions in each week on your off days.

It is possible that the puffiness in your face is water retention and cleaning up your diet could help in getting rid of it. Also make sure that you are drinking enough water per day.

As far as how long it will take to get back to 7-9% bf will depend on different factors, such as how fast you lose the weight and what your bf% is when you start dieting. Should not be that big of a deal especially if you are a naturally lean person (low set point).

hemants
07-09-2003, 12:14 PM
I was around 180lbs 18% and I wasted a year fearing both fat gain and muscle loss which ended up yielding me not much.

I have since cut down to 165lbs and I think this is the way to go for several reasons:

1. it is healthier
2. you will learn dietary discipline which will help you bulk cleaner
3. knowing that you can lose weight will give you more reassurance to eat large quantities of healthy food when it does come time to bulk.

furious
07-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Good idea actually, I have gotten myself in quite a pickle physically by letting my cravings get the better of me. A good cut will put me in good stead, I just hate the thought of getting so thin, but Rome wasnt built in a day and I can build back up at below 10% bodyfat if I do this right.