PDA

View Full Version : How do you find tiredeness?

carpediemguy
07-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Almost every day in the afternoon for an hour or so I feel so tired that I almost fall asleep.

What is the reason of being tired and how could I fight it? I get 7-8 hours sleep so lack of sleep doesnt seem to be a factor..

Behemoth
07-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Could be a carb crash. When (pertaining to meals) does this happen?

SoulOfKoRea
07-09-2003, 07:07 AM
^^ changing your diet could help.

I always take a little nap after my 3rd meal for some reason, it's the best part of the day.

APE.
07-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth

What he said.I used to have this prob.;but a small snack usually would alleviate that.

carpediemguy
07-09-2003, 04:23 PM

What do you mean?
SHould I get some carb meal or what?

J450n
07-09-2003, 04:48 PM
I don't think there's anything weird about it or anything, i get tired at around 1pm just after lunch but that's cause i'm at work....

Ironman8
07-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by carpediemguy

What do you mean?
SHould I get some carb meal or what?

He means you might be having an insuline spike. Do you have high GI carbs in any of your meals?

Behemoth
07-10-2003, 07:57 PM
A carb crash occurs after your insulin drops.

Insulin is raised by ingesting carbs, no matter what kind they're going to have some sort of an effect.

High GI carbs cause a more immediate insulin response and also a much shorter, less sustained one.

Most people feel somewhat lethargic if they ingest a signifigant amount of high GI carbs, especially if you're in a caloric deficit.

carpediemguy
07-10-2003, 09:50 PM
A carb crash occurs after your insulin drops.

Insulin is raised by ingesting carbs, no matter what kind they're going to have some sort of an effect.

High GI carbs cause a more immediate insulin response and also a much shorter, less sustained one.

Most people feel somewhat lethargic if they ingest a signifigant amount of high GI carbs, especially if you're in a caloric deficit.

Ok..lets clear a little bit for me..

What would be a good snack/meal to raise my insuline level?

Y2A
07-11-2003, 06:50 AM
When I feel that way, I always hold out until the night. If you normally take an hour nap, then get 7-8 hours at night, try not taking the nap one day and saving that hour, then getting 8-9 at night.

Behemoth
07-11-2003, 02:01 PM

Ok..lets clear a little bit for me..

What would be a good snack/meal to raise my insuline level?

The idea is not to raise your insulin, but to keep it constantly steady. Which is accomplished by not ingesting high GI carbs.

Low GI carbs like brown rice, oats, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, etc will be digested slower and never create the immediate insulin response that more sugary foods do.

To help clear things up...

- spiked insulin will give you a rush of energy but shortly after drop you off, making you feel very lethargic.

I suppose that you could just constantly keep eating high GI carbs so that your insulin would never drop back down, although that would not be a very healthy option at all.

restless
07-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Almost every day in the afternoon for an hour or so I feel so tired that I almost fall asleep.

What is the reason of being tired and how could I fight it? I get 7-8 hours sleep so lack of sleep doesnt seem to be a factor..

Do you get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep?

Behemoth
07-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by restless

Do you get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep?

Restless makes a good point about sleep. There are different degrees of how well you slept. To me, 8 hours of sleep where I'm dead are far better than 12 where I'm barely asleep.

Although if it your problems are occuring at a specific time in the day everyday it sounds much more like a diet issue than actual rest.

carpediemguy
07-11-2003, 06:49 PM

The idea is not to raise your insulin, but to keep it constantly steady. Which is accomplished by not ingesting high GI carbs.

Low GI carbs like brown rice, oats, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, etc will be digested slower and never create the immediate insulin response that more sugary foods do.

To help clear things up...

- spiked insulin will give you a rush of energy but shortly after drop you off, making you feel very lethargic.

I suppose that you could just constantly keep eating high GI carbs so that your insulin would never drop back down, although that would not be a very healthy option at all.

So should I conclude form what you said that when I feel lethargic I should get some low GI food ?

If yes, what would be a good snack?

Behemoth
07-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Well not just carbs. It would probably be best to get a meal with fat, protein and low GI carbs.

I don't know what kind of diet plan you're on, so I don't know what to consider a "snack". But a tuna sandwhich on whole wheat bread or something like that would be good.

skeeneeboy
07-13-2003, 05:12 AM
i did a speech on naps and i read that even if u get a hearty 8-10 hours of sleep, you still may feel a little tired about 8 hours after you wake up. i think just a 15-30 minute nap (anymore and you go into REM, making u drowsy when you wake up) can boost your energy by more than u think. i read at some companies they even had rooms for employees to nap, too. interesting eh?

Stabber
07-13-2003, 09:00 PM
yep. just take a short nap during the day. I do it on my lunch break. :D

ITHURTZ
07-15-2003, 09:23 AM
it takes me 4ever to fall asleep. i go to bed at 10, watch tv for 30min. then sleep. but it takes 30-2 hours for me to fall asleep and i wake up at 420am. i try counted back from 100, andnot thinkin bout anything, and when i am sleeping its like im not even sleeping. and if i even take a little nap during any part of the day i can kiss sleepin the night goodbye. i just dont understand it.

reloaded
07-17-2003, 11:48 AM
it could be like when you eat a large meal. all the blood that is circulating your body goes to the stomach to digest. that's what happens to me all the time after a large meal. although, there can be other factors, such as at thanksgiving. turkey has a chemical in it that promotes sleepiness. ;)