PDA

View Full Version : sooo...how do y'all feel

Tryska
07-09-2003, 10:12 AM
about the new requirement for transfats to be part of the US Nutrtional labeling?

do you think it will amke you rethink the products you buy on a regular basis if you find out how many grams are in there?

how many grams are considered part of a healthy diet, anyway??

Y2A
07-09-2003, 10:21 AM
I like as much info as possible on the label. It *might* influence what I buy, depending on your last question, which I dont know the answer to.

Holto
07-09-2003, 10:24 AM
I shoot for 0

WillKuenzel
07-09-2003, 10:26 AM
I thinks its definitely a good idea. Like Y2A said, the more information the better. I think it would heavily influence some of the foods I buy.

I don't know about the last question though. Is there anything good about having them as a part of your diet?

Tryska
07-09-2003, 10:50 AM
i personally don't think so, but i'm wondering if anyone knows the FDA recommendation.

wondering whether people following that recommendation, as they do with everything else, will actually force companies to get rid of transfats or lose money, you know what i mean?

Ironman8
07-09-2003, 10:52 AM
I think they said you consumption of trans fat should be "As low as possible".

Manveet
07-09-2003, 10:58 AM
What foods are high in trans-fat, other than cookies?

bradley
07-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
about the new requirement for transfats to be part of the US Nutrtional labeling?

I think it is a great idea. The more information the better, and maybe it will help people make more health conscious decisions. Although I doubt it will have the impact that everyone expects, because people know that certain foods contain trans-fats yet they still eat them. Do people really think that individuals that are eating cookies, snack cakes, etc. are looking at the nutrition information?

do you think it will amke you rethink the products you buy on a regular basis if you find out how many grams are in there?

No not really, seeing as how I do not eat many "processed foods."

how many grams are considered part of a healthy diet, anyway??

There is no recommended daily allowance set by the FDA.

Tryska
07-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Manveet
What foods are high in trans-fat, other than cookies?

pretty much any food that comes in plastic or a box is suspect.

bradley
07-09-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield
I don't know about the last question though. Is there anything good about having them as a part of your diet?

Some of the beneficial isomers of CLA are in a trans arrangement, more specifically cis-12 and trans-10 I believe.

bradley
07-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
wondering whether people following that recommendation, as they do with everything else, will actually force companies to get rid of transfats or lose money, you know what i mean?

It is definitely having an effect. Look at Kraft and McDonalds to name two of the companies making dramatic changes.