PDA

View Full Version : Parents are just buying junk food... now what?!

QuadzillaRF
07-10-2003, 03:32 AM
My problem is my parents just love to eat fatty-high-calorie foods like ice cream, head cheese, meat loaf, candy, pork rhines, fried chicken... etc. I can remember times we go through a whole entire month without fruits or vegetables. To top it all off, they love to go out to buffets four times a week stuffing their faces. They have no common sense when it comes to cooking heathly foods. I have tried buying my own foods like chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli. However, they just eat the groceries that I bought when my back is turned. My only option I can think of is moving out of the house, but I can't afford to pay rent at the moment. Money is low because I pay my own tuition. Any suggestions would help!

PeterParker
07-10-2003, 03:38 AM
eat ur parents.............. serious sit down with your parents and talk to them about your diet, if they dont agree and help you out, buy a second hand fridge/freezer and a big lock.

Tryska
07-10-2003, 08:10 AM
you could always go on a keto diet.

Tryska
07-10-2003, 08:11 AM
or only buy foods that you know they won't eat.

like my roomie is lactose intolerant. i know my cottage cheese is safe. and my whey protein.

tuna's relatively cheap and conveneient enoguht hat you can stash it in your room.

actually better yet - invest in a dorm room fridge, and keep your food int here.

they don't go ransacking you room looking for food do they?

Berserker
07-10-2003, 04:58 PM
You pretty much screwed. You will probably not change your parents. You can mention that your trying to eat healthy. It would be nice if they didn't it the food you bought. I don't think thats unreasonable. But I agree with Tryska buy food they won't eat. A dorm fridge isn't bad but it might insult them. Maybe make them think too.

SoulOfKoRea
07-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by PeterParker
eat ur parents.............. serious sit down with your parents and talk to them about your diet, if they dont agree and help you out, buy a second hand fridge/freezer and a big lock.

Scott S
07-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Tryska is right on the money -- my family leaves my tuna, cottage cheese, and fish oil caps alone. And they buy enough wheat bread and natty PB so we can all share.

I have a feeling that if you buy healthy enough food, they'll all turn their noses up at it. ;)

p_t
07-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
or only buy foods that you know they won't eat.

like my roomie is lactose intolerant. i know my cottage cheese is safe. and my whey protein.

tuna's relatively cheap and conveneient enoguht hat you can stash it in your room.

actually better yet - invest in a dorm room fridge, and keep your food int here.

they don't go ransacking you room looking for food do they?

What about your juice? :D

Behemoth
07-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Whey has lactose?

bradley
07-11-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
Whey has lactose?

Yes, although you will see some difference in the amount of lactose between different whey proteins. The average whey protein concentrate contains ~80% protein and ~5% lactose, and whey protein isolate will contain a much smaller amount of lactose and more protein.

Whey comes from milk, hence the reason that it contains lactose. Milk protein is ~80% casein and ~20% whey.

Tryska
07-11-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by p_t

What about your juice? :D

i actually put a big ol "T" on the lids of my juice and gatorade. she was cool about that.

Y2A
07-11-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Tryska

i actually put a big ol "T" on the lids of my juice and gatorade. she was cool about that.

I find that hilarious since its the two of you. If she didnt buy it, its obviously yours, isnt it? lol!!

Tryska
07-11-2003, 09:37 AM
we pretty much share and share alike on everything else tho.

she's quite free with her stuff, and i don' mind sharing most everything else of mine. jsut not stuff set aside speicifally for my planned meals. everythign else is fair game, cuz it's not quite accounted for.

Y2A
07-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Fair enough, Im glad its getting better since you rant day :)

Tryska
07-11-2003, 09:46 AM
i'm acclimating. sorta. *lol*

WillKuenzel
07-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by QuadzillaRF
My problem is my parents just love to eat fatty-high-calorie foods like ice cream, head cheese, meat loaf, candy, pork rhines, fried chicken... etc. I can remember times we go through a whole entire month without fruits or vegetables. To top it all off, they love to go out to buffets four times a week stuffing their faces. They have no common sense when it comes to cooking heathly foods. I have tried buying my own foods like chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli. However, they just eat the groceries that I bought when my back is turned. My only option I can think of is moving out of the house, but I can't afford to pay rent at the moment. Money is low because I pay my own tuition. Any suggestions would help!

Sounds like its just time to bulk for a couple years. :p

Some of those things you can avoid and others you can make semi-healthy (like the fried chicken, just remove the skin). I would try and talk to them. Tell them what you want to try and do and see if they'll help you. Ask them get the things you want to eat but if they are going to eat them to at least share. That way you can eat it and they'll pay for it. You could just go to the grocery store with them and just toss what you want into the shopping cart. Hell toss 2 of everything in there and that way they can have one and you can have one.

Sara
07-11-2003, 02:57 PM
I can relate check out my journal in the online journal section, my parents are the unhealthiest freaks while I'm totally opposite and a health freak... what I do is store my food in my room like the tuna bottled water etc.. and I put the chicken and frozen food in the freezer in a bag on the bottom of something, as for the broccoli and spinach I always buy, I place it in a container usually wash in advance and put in back of fridge works like a gem, as for my peeve having a tuna and saled while my parents are stuffing themselves with KFC it takes self-control, you can do it though!! Also don't go out with your parents when they go out for dinner stay at home and cook your own dinner or if you do just try choosing healthy choices THERES ALWAYS alternatives(saled over fries, mustard over mayo, Grilled food over fried, skin removed etc..)

Talking to them never worked with me they just shrug and say do what you want but we'll continue eating like this!!

Ti1301
07-11-2003, 03:53 PM
buy your own food

ace dogg
07-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Go shopping with them. and pick your food. then tell them you'd appreciate it if they don't eat it.

it could be hard to reason with them tho...parents always think they know better than their child, regardless of if they do or not on a particular subject. which is understandable, just not always true.

i live with my mom and my cat and they've always been cool with stuff though.