PDA

View Full Version : Post workout, pre cardio shake?



furious
07-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Hey,

I have always incorperated cardio after my lifting, and keeping this is mind, my question is this. Is it beneficial to consume a protein shake (calories) after lifting, knowing you are essntially about to engage in an excercise designed to burn calories? Would it be more senisble to wait until post cardio to consume a protein shake, or would it still be more beneficial to consume it directly after my lifting?

Workhorse
07-10-2003, 09:23 AM
I can't say scientifically... but as long as you have it SOON after your workout, it will benefit you.

technogeeky
07-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Don't most people reccomend not doing cardio post-workout?

If so, why?

Holto
07-10-2003, 09:57 AM
cardio post-workout can be catabolic

I can do weights and 20 mins of cardio in under an hour

your body starts to become catabolic about 40 mins into a workout

technogeeky
07-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Well, if I did it, I would do some HIIT style cardio after my workout.. which takes like 1.5 hours.

Would it be bad? I don't get much of a cardiovascular workout while lifting.

Ironman8
07-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Well, people also don't incorperate cardio before lifting because their muscle glycogen might be depleted when they hit the weights, thus resulting in exhaustion. BUT, it depends on the intensity also.

LAM
07-10-2003, 11:43 AM
for fat loss cardio like HIIT is most beneficial on non-weight training days. doing HIIT after a weight trainng session is kind of pointless as the resting metabolic rate will already be increased from the resistance training session...

technogeeky
07-10-2003, 01:15 PM
In that case, what kind of cardio would be useful after workouts?

Holto
07-10-2003, 02:24 PM
walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes

but not after 1.5hrs of weights

do all your workouts take 1.5hrs?

that in itself could be catabolic

Ironman8
07-10-2003, 02:25 PM
I usually bike after weight lifting. Like long duration/low intensity. I don't think that's too catabolic.

technogeeky
07-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Holto
walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes

but not after 1.5hrs of weights

do all your workouts take 1.5hrs?

that in itself could be catabolic

They do now, for a number of reasons. I do WBB1 but I wait between sets, and drink water, etc.

bradley
07-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I usually bike after weight lifting. Like long duration/low intensity. I don't think that's too catabolic.

Well weightlifting in itself is catabolic so adding in long duration cardio would just be adding to it so to speak.

dirty-c
07-10-2003, 03:33 PM
From what I've been told, the advantage of doing cardio after weightlifting is that your glycogen stores will be depleated from the weightlifting, so your body will pretty much have to use bodyfat for the cardio.

However, I've also been told that its best to have your post-workout (workout as in weights) shake as soon as possible after your workout. So, is it a compromise then to wait until after the cardio to have the shake? Couldn't tell ya. Wish I knew. Hope someone does.

LAM
07-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by dirty-c
From what I've been told, the advantage of doing cardio after weightlifting is that your glycogen stores will be depleated from the weightlifting, so your body will pretty much have to use bodyfat for the cardio.

However, I've also been told that its best to have your post-workout (workout as in weights) shake as soon as possible after your workout. So, is it a compromise then to wait until after the cardio to have the shake? Couldn't tell ya. Wish I knew. Hope someone does.

since glycogen stores are depleted the body will use both more fats and stored proteins, aka. LBM

cardio after weight training is catabolic no matter which way you look at it...