PDA

View Full Version : q

ITHURTZ
07-10-2003, 12:22 PM
at my gym there is this 42yo guy jim who goes there 3-4 days a week, for around 1-2hrs at atime. he just wants to tone and loose the belly fat, he is around 9-12%bf. he lifts weights, light weight ie 95lbbench, 50lb barbell curl etc, and does cardio i think 2-3 times a week varyin from 10-30min at a time. he says he takes weight gainer and protein. and take in mind he doesnt eat alot and nor has the time or crap hehe.

my theory is that he should eat maybe more and cut out the weight gainer? and maybe train with higher reps? he wants to cut the belly fat out btw. thanks

Y2A
07-10-2003, 12:46 PM
I suck w/diet but I do know that he should NOT lift light weights/high reps. He should do a normal routine, lift heavy, and try to progress each week.

WillKuenzel
07-10-2003, 12:49 PM
How is he getting his bf%? Because around 9-12% he won't have hardly any flab on him anywhere.

ITHURTZ
07-10-2003, 01:11 PM
home- the onlypart that has fat on him is his ass hehe i think, and his belly, no whereeelse. and not really fat, just some blubber.

y2a- he says this everytime i tell him to lift more
"i dont need to be huge, when u get older you will realize that"

some guys are just stubborn!

so whats ur best hypo to get thisnerd going

bradley
07-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ITHURTZ
my theory is that he should eat maybe more and cut out the weight gainer?

Well he needs to eat less cals in general to lose weight, but not at the expense of his post workout shake. Kepp the post workout carbs and protein and slowly cut cals from other meals, but this is assuming that he is taking in adequate protein and EFAs.

and maybe train with higher reps?

No need to change routines, and as has already been mentioned just focus on progressing/maintaining his current strength level.

To really give better suggestions we would need more information about his diet, but that should get you in the right direction.

JHolmes145
07-10-2003, 02:01 PM
why is he takin a weight gainer if he wants to lose weight. jus take normal protein shakes and eat leaner

bradley
07-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by JHolmes145
why is he takin a weight gainer if he wants to lose weight. jus take normal protein shakes and eat leaner

A weight gainer could still be used post workout for carbs and protein, although you might not want to use a whole serving. Most weight gainers are just protein and malto which would be fine post workout.

SoulOfKoRea
07-10-2003, 05:21 PM
I'd question how he has a 95 lb bench and a 50 lb curl :eek:

ITHURTZ
07-10-2003, 06:13 PM
50lb curl with a barbell combined? eh not that great!