PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here!!! Need Help with diet and other stuff!!!

papaoso2k1
07-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Hi....Here's a little summary of my life...: I WAS FAT!!... I am 6'1 and at one point of my life i got to be almos 300 Lbs... Right now Im at about 175...and I dont know my BF % but its not that high...I lost weight thru dieting and jogging and cardio....recently i started weightlifting...I want to get more muscle and maybe lose a little bodyfat..but my main goal right now is muscle... Ive started eating 6-7 times a day...Heres an example of my diet now...:

6:30 Am
1 scoop Whey PP
1 Cup Oatmeal
1 Cup Skim milk
Fruit ( apple, bananas or cantaloupe)

10:00 Am
1 tuna Sandwich (4 1/2 can of tuna and 2 slices Wholewheat bread)

1:00 PM
3-4 Oz Skinless chicken breast, Lean steak or fish
1 cup brown rice or 1 baked potato or 1 sweet potato or beans
Bowl of vegetable salad with mustard

4:30 pm
4 1/2 can of tuna
1 apple

7:30 PM
3-4 Oz Skinless chicken breast, Lean steak or fish
Bowl of vegetable salad with mustard

10:30 (or before bed)
1 scoop whey protein P
1 or 2 tbspn peanuts
4 Cooked Egg whites

Post- Workout (some days in the morning other days at night)
16 Oz gatorade
45 g Tang (or other sugary drink)
2 Scoop Whey PP

What do you think....

Right now im only taking whey protein powder, vitamin c , a multi vitamin and glutamine.....
Sould i start taking creatine right away or should i wait a few months until i hit a plateau??

GhettoSmurf
07-10-2003, 11:42 PM
i'd try to get some more EFA's like fish oil in your diet.

also, what type of sugar is in the tang? if its maltodextrine or dextrose then its ok, but im not to sure that tang is either of those.

also, the gatorade post-workout im assuming is the liquid gatorade? if it is, you dont really need it. instead, i'd try to get gatorade POWDER or pure dextrose and/or maltodextrine.

bradley
07-11-2003, 02:48 AM
Looks like you need more fat in general, and as GS mentioned more EFAs. You could try to incorporate some oily fish into your diet, such as salmon or use a fish oil supplement to make sure that you are getting enough n-3 fats in your diet. Olive oil and nuts are also a good addition to your diet which will help get your fat intake up.

Right now im only taking whey protein powder, vitamin c , a multi vitamin and glutamine.....
Sould i start taking creatine right away or should i wait a few months until i hit a plateau??

If you are in a caloric surplus then I think you could do without the glutamine, and the creatine would be fine if you wanted to. You could start taking it now or wait until you hit a plateau, but the decision is really up to you.

papaoso2k1
07-11-2003, 11:49 AM
oh I forgot to mention i eat at least 2 tablespoons of olive oil every day ...with my salads and stuff... And Ive started eating peanuts and almonds at night and I also have some flax oil every couple of days......

I figured Im at about 2200 cal/day...I dont know if i've gained yet...Im waiting til saturday to weight myself....

What about my carb sources?? are they OK?? Im going to be using Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Brown Rice, Black Beans and Red Beans... What about regular potatos?? ive seen a lot of people eating them on a regular basis but others say its GI is too high so Im confused about them...

GhettoSmurf
07-11-2003, 12:01 PM
your carb chocies look fine. you could even have some oatmeal if you'd like :)

just make sure to check the ingredients on the WW bread, and make sure it isnt "enriched wheat flour".

also, if it were me, i'd stick to sweet potatoes/yams instead of regular potatoes. regular potatoes do have a pretty high GI.

bradley
07-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by papaoso2k1
oh I forgot to mention i eat at least 2 tablespoons of olive oil every day ...with my salads and stuff... And Ive started eating peanuts and almonds at night and I also have some flax oil every couple of days......

Try and get some omega 3 fats in your diet, and the flax oil would help with this, although fish would be the best choice IMO.

What about my carb sources?? are they OK?? Im going to be using Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Brown Rice, Black Beans and Red Beans... What about regular potatos?? ive seen a lot of people eating them on a regular basis but others say its GI is too high so Im confused about them...

The carb sources you mentioned are fine IMO, and the GI of the baking potatos is not that big of a concern since you will be eating them with other macros which will slow the digestion.