PDA

View Full Version : Protein Intake at a Single Setting

-TIM-
07-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Hey Gang,

Quick question. I just ran across a thread where two people stated they take around 70-80 grams of protein per setting. I was always under the impression that your body can only process around 40 grams of protein at a time and taking in any more would be disgarded by your body. Is that a true statement? Or is it alright to take in more during a single setting? I mean, isn't that part of the reason you take in so many meals? To stretch out your intake of certain nutritional substances?

WeakSauceAsian
07-11-2003, 01:37 AM
I'm going from what i've learned, I concur with you nissen - 40-50 grams is the maximum most bodies can take in at one time.

unless you're huge. or have help.

hope this helps,

wsa

AJ_11
07-11-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by WeakSauceAsian
I'm going from what i've learned, I concur with you nissen - 40-50 grams is the maximum most bodies can take in at one time.

unless you're huge. or have help.

hope this helps,

wsa

Not true. The body can take in everything you put in it. Whether it uses it or stores it that is another issue.

Shoot for 30-50 per meal. That should be more than enough. Too much protein can get converted to fat just like anything else.

Hope that helps

bradley
07-11-2003, 03:31 AM
As AJ11 stated the body will digest/absorb whatever amount of protein that you eat, but it will not necessarily use all of that protien for muscle recovery and repair. Excess protein will be used for energy or stored as fat.

Also the larger the protein meal the longer it will sit in the gut waiting to be digested.

technogeeky
07-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Ummm...

I eat a lot of protien in one sitting. If I ate 50g of protien at each sitting, i'd still be under 300g (my suggested intake)

AJ_11
07-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by technogeeky
Ummm...

I eat a lot of protien in one sitting. If I ate 50g of protien at each sitting, i'd still be under 300g (my suggested intake)

You weigh 300llbs? Protein shouldn't be used as an fuel source IMO. Both fats and Carbs(depending on diet) should be your main sources for fuel. They are much better for that purpose. I feel that we have been blinded by advertising companies stating that we need all this protein. True, a body builder needs more than the average person but a 150llb guy(not saying that your 150llb) trying to eat 300grams of protein is rediculas, unless your on AAS.

Behemoth
07-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Would this not also depend on what type of protein (IE how fast it's absorbed)?

If you eat 50g of protein from cottage cheese every 2.5 hours will all of that be absorbed by your next meal? I don't know...

But if you eat 50g of protein from whey every 2.5 hours it would all be absorbed, or at least more likely to be right?

technogeeky
07-11-2003, 09:11 PM
I weigh 300 lbs.

AJ_11
07-12-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by technogeeky
I weigh 300 lbs.

Some people measure LBM for protein. I just know that before I was eating way to much and it affected not only performance but also energy levels. Since then I upped EFA and fats in general and man it is the world of diifeerence.

Sorry about that common but I hear alot people that are 120-150llbs who injest 300gr of protein. Doing that for years and not seeing any difference and the fact that protein cost more than any other food.

bradley
07-12-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
Would this not also depend on what type of protein (IE how fast it's absorbed)?

Yes

If you eat 50g of protein from cottage cheese every 2.5 hours will all of that be absorbed by your next meal? I don't know...

But if you eat 50g of protein from whey every 2.5 hours it would all be absorbed, or at least more likely to be right?

The cottage cheese would probably not all be absorbed in 2.5 hours because of the large amount of casein protein. Casein can keep AA levels elevated up to 8 hours after it has been consumed, where as whey protein elevates AA levels quickly but returns to baseline at about 3 hours after the protein is consumed (read this somewhere:scratch: ).

You are correct in that the timing of an individual's protein intake would depend on previous protein consumption and the type of protein consumed. Using whey as your primary protein source would probably not be the way to go, but you also have to take into account that you would more than likely be combining the whey with other macro nutrients which would slow the digestion of the whey.

-TIM-
07-12-2003, 12:03 PM
That's basically what I figured. Thanks for the input.

jcny19x
07-13-2003, 11:14 AM
isn't too much protein bad for the kidney's? Also when excess protein is broken down isn't it considered toxic to the body? Just wondering....

Holto
07-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by jcny19x
isn't too much protein bad for the kidney's?

*** if you don't drink enough water

Also when excess protein is broken down isn't it considered toxic to the body?

there is no such thing as excess protien

it is a vital nutrient and a viable source of energy

bradley
07-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by jcny19x
isn't too much protein bad for the kidney's?

If you have a pre-existing kidney condition then too much protein could be a concern, but otherwise no.

Also when excess protein is broken down isn't it considered toxic to the body? Just wondering....

I am assuming you are referring to uric acid which is a by product of protein metabolism. High levels of uric acid in the bloodstream can cause gout, but most uric acid is excreted as fast as it is produced. If you are drinking enough water and including a small percentage of your daily cals from carbs, which will help prevent the buildup of uric acid, then I do not think it should be a concern.

ace dogg
07-13-2003, 11:34 AM
eat as much protein as you'd like. your body will use all of it. and it won't turn to fat unless your cals are over maintenance, AND you're eating enough carbs that energy and glucose storage needs are maxed. which would be hard to do while eating that much protein. when cutting its a good idea to eat large amounts of protein cuz its the last macro to be converted to fat, is the most thermogenic, and will provide carbs without an insulin spike or erratic moods (which i never experience for some reason anyway, but some do).

when in doubt, more protein.

AJ_11
07-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ace dogg
eat as much protein as you'd like. your body will use all of it. and it won't turn to fat unless your cals are over maintenance, AND you're eating enough carbs that energy and glucose storage needs are maxed. which would be hard to do while eating that much protein. when cutting its a good idea to eat large amounts of protein cuz its the last macro to be converted to fat, is the most thermogenic, and will provide carbs without an insulin spike or erratic moods (which i never experience for some reason anyway, but some do).

when in doubt, more protein.

That is the most ridiculas this that I have ever heard.

J450n
07-13-2003, 04:24 PM
The words Protein Overload come into mind. . .

jugheadkills
07-15-2003, 10:20 AM
1 gram per pound of body weight isnt enough any more or what? 1 gram per pound is simple enough for me.. 80 grams at one time seems like way too much.. it should be stretched out throughout the day... protein is good but i am not sure if more of a good thing is always better... im sure there is a point in which your body doesnt need the extra protein.

Holto
07-15-2003, 11:33 AM
what part didn't you agree with AJ ?

I must be missing something

bradley
07-15-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by jugheadkills
1 gram per pound of body weight isnt enough any more or what? 1 gram per pound is simple enough for me.. 80 grams at one time seems like way too much.. it should be stretched out throughout the day... protein is good but i am not sure if more of a good thing is always better... im sure there is a point in which your body doesnt need the extra protein.

1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight is plenty IMO.:)

bigswole30
07-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by bradley

1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight is plenty IMO.:)

I have seen the best results with 1.5g per pound of BW.

J450n
07-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Depends on person and size...

bradley
07-15-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by bigswole30

I have seen the best results with 1.5g per pound of BW.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1895363&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12380246&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9841962&dopt=Abstract

AJ_11
07-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks Bradley. It all depends on the person as well. It boils down to energy needs and the types of other nutrients that you are ingesting. I know from personal experience I was intaking 1.5g per pound and kept fats and carbs on the lower end and I constantley felt like shiat. Fatloss was slow, energy was really low, and muscles always acked. I have now switch to 1g per pound, and upped fats and I feel great. Weight loss is has never been faster.

Before I was doing a NHE diet and misintreped Robs Recommondations. Now I broke it down to make it work extremely well.