PDA

View Full Version : Is GI really important?

Life4ever
08-23-2001, 10:54 AM
Hey everyone. From what I know, a carb is a carb. The only difference is the breakdown of it...fiber and protein itself slow down carb breakdown, right, and all carbs are converted to glucose? What I mean, lets sayy ou are eating white rice, opposed to brown rice. Is this really going to make a difference while dieting? thanks

breeze
08-23-2001, 10:57 AM
it can if you are dieting. brown rice over rice rice is the rule.

Life4ever
08-23-2001, 11:43 AM
i dont understand how it makes a diff though? Just the breakdown of the carb is slower..but is that really something to worry about when picking rices?

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-23-2001, 11:53 AM
what are your guy's thoughts on the saiety index?

http://members.tripod.com/JPE_Sportscience/Saiety%20Index%20html.html

hemants
08-23-2001, 11:57 AM
It's like this.

Your glycogen stores are like a bucket.

Your resting metabolism is a small hole in the bucket where the water pours out at a fixed rate.

You have to replenish the water or you'll run out.

If you replenish the water too quickly then the bucket will overflow. In the case of your body, this means that excess carbs will be stored as fat.

That's why low GI carbs are better in general.

Having said that, one might say that eating 1 cup of brown rice would be like eating 4 quarter cups of white rice every 1/2 hour or something like that.

High GI carbs in small quantities are a non-issue.

Furthermore, most low GI carbs also contain fibre which is good for you.

Sun
08-23-2001, 12:00 PM
Life4ever - Higher GI on the food is higher levels of insulin in the body. Insulin being an anabolic hormone, unfortunately the body is also often times in fat storing mode when it is raised. Lower GI is less likely to "spike" the insulin, keep blood sugar at a consistant level and allow fat to be cut off easier. Spiking the insulin also attributes to more efficient/quicker glycogen refueling. The body's at it's best burning fat when glycogen is moderate to low.

Does it matter as far as weight gain? I doubt it, if you're in your caloric range. It does hinder weight LOSS (Fat loss, anyway. Weight can be lost calories in VS out. A higher ratio of fat with a lower GI diet)

-

CD - I don't agree with that. I can eat some of those foods forever, and they are listed high. Just doesn't seem consistant. It's the person.

Cackerot69
08-23-2001, 02:35 PM
GI measures glucose response to a meal, which may or may not be correlate to insulin response. Basically, the important of GI is that high GI creates a glucose overload, and spill-over to fat stores is more likely. In certain cases, however, low GI carbs can be worse. Examples would be fructose, and galactose.

YatesNightBlade
08-28-2001, 02:44 AM
Cack is right. Although Insulin levels do play a high role in the GI game.

One of Insulins main functions is the storage of fat. Controlling blood suger levels is a good way of keeping Insulin secretion low. ie LOW GI carbs.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-28-2001, 01:44 PM
No more opinions on my Q?

body
08-29-2001, 03:19 PM
you can work out the saiety index for yourself. as this is more mental rather than physiological. you can work out for yourself how long it takes before you are hungry again.

cack why is low worse than high GI bad?

if you are refering to some of these sugar increasing insulin levels but not increasing glycogen replenishment. then this could be good for cutting diets after training as they will allow insulin to help keep you ananbolic and lower the amouts of amino acids being used as fuels. but not slowing down the rate of glycogen replinshment so you body still need fuel so it will not go into fat storage mode.
you can find good if you look hard enough.

Sun
08-29-2001, 03:33 PM
Fructose and lactose replenish liver glycogen, body. Not muscle glycogen.

Cackerot69
08-29-2001, 03:49 PM
Yup.

body
08-30-2001, 03:12 PM
so what that frucotse will help with glycogen replenishement? will the insulin still go round the body? yep so therfore lowering catabolism but not putting you in fat storage mode aless mass of frucotse is taken.

greg kaiser
08-30-2001, 09:55 PM
Can somone list some low GI carbs for me? Or how about a website with a table on it showing which ones are high and which are low. I've porobably been eating too many high GI carbs.

Thanks

YatesNightBlade
08-31-2001, 02:12 AM
LOW

Oats
Brown Rice
Pasta

Tryska
08-31-2001, 05:50 AM
here's a website as well:

Glycemic Index (http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm)

greg kaiser
09-01-2001, 08:10 PM
Thanks Tryska and Yates.

So I gather from this post that the only time I shoud eat high GI carbs is postworkout?

Also, what does everyone think of honey postworkout? I heard that it raises your insulin levels for up to two hours.

Tryska
09-02-2001, 09:47 AM
there's a thread on that somewhere...i believe it's title is "Honey Post-workout"

fairly recent too.

the doc
09-06-2001, 05:43 PM
at first i doubted but i found the information i wanted. i looked into this and cack is right that the galactose formed from lactose hydrolysis will be processed in the liver and favor liver glycogen replenishment over muscle. i t is not as bad as sucrose though, or high fructose corn syrup (soft drinks).

Overall i'd say gi is not very useful. It has some value in that the general trend of fibrous foods having low gi and refined foods like white bread/pasta, maltodextrin being high. But to take the numbers as some absolute measurement is not really useful. Most the time there strange anomolies however. Consider that a cookie will have lower gi than carrots. You'd have to eat a lot more carrots than cookies however to produce the same total blood sugar response.

the doc
09-06-2001, 05:46 PM
oh yes with regard to honey, according to the usda honey consists of mainly of the monosaccarides glucose and fructose in about a 1:1 ratio (of course this could change slightly depending on the type of flower the bees used) so it is not very useful for muscle glucogen replenishment.