PDA

View Full Version : Enough ?

Andy P
07-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Carried on from this thread (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34236)

Is what i am eating at the moment enough to gain a decent amount of weight perhaps 1lb a week. Here i go....

*People from america may not be familiar with some of the food. I duno....

Breakfast (8)

Crumpets (high carb) Flora (Good fats) Bannana

Morning snack

None, at school

Lunch (12:30 ish)

Tuna sandwhich (Carb and protein)

Mid afternoon 4 ish

Pasta and ham (high carb,med protein)

Evening 7 ish

2 eggs or chicken

Before bed

1 pint of milk

Being as im at school i cant have lots of meals. My day normally follows this with some variation. But quite the same. Sometimes have milk at 4 ish aswell.

I'm thinking of getting aprotien supplements for as soon as i finish gym. Good idea ?

thanks for your comments...

bradley
07-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Andy P
Is what i am eating at the moment enough to gain a decent amount of weight perhaps 1lb a week. Here i go....

The best way to determine your daily calorie intake is to just increase your daily calorie intake in small increments each week until you are gaining the desired amount of weight.

For example, if you are currently taking in 2,500 cals and not gaining weight then the following week bump your cals up to 2800 or so. Make sure you weigh yourself at the same time each week so as to get an accurate measure, and usually first thing in the morning would be your best bet.

Breakfast (8)

Crumpets (high carb) Flora (Good fats) Bannana

Need to add in some protein with this meal. Protein intake should be at ~1g per lb. of bodyweight, and you can spread this total out over the number of meals per day.

Before bed

1 pint of milk

Might want to throw in some fat with the last meal to help slow the digestion of the milk.

Being as im at school i cant have lots of meals. My day normally follows this with some variation. But quite the same. Sometimes have milk at 4 ish aswell.

You could try and pack some calorie dense snacks such as nuts, or maybe a natural peanut butter sandwich to eat between classes.

I'm thinking of getting aprotien supplements for as soon as i finish gym. Good idea ?

It is a good idea, but not necessary. Carbs and protein of some sort are definitely beneficial post workout whether they come from supplements or whole food.

From the looks of your diet you will probably need more cals to gain weight, but just increase your cals until you are gaining weight as I mentioned above. Also make sure you are getting in enough essential fatty acids (healthy fats), and some good sources of healthy fats would include things like oily fish (example salmon), fish oil, nuts, flax oil, and olive oil. I would shoot for ~25% of your daily cals from fat.

Andy P
07-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanks alot :-)

Mik
07-11-2003, 11:57 AM
I agree with Bradley on upping the protein and adding some in your first meal. His suggestion on the healthy fats is also great advice.