PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait between meals

mmckinley
07-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Hi everybody. I've been working wierd hours and I frequntly find myself having to pack several meals into a short period of time, say 4 or 5 hours. Here's my question: How long does it take after eating for the digestive system to be ready for another meal? What variables (amount of fat, protien, fiber, water etc.) can influence this time? I know it makes sense to wait until I don't feel full, but sometimes I feel full for like 3 or 4 hours, even if the meal wasn't huge.

Also, I try to eat around 40g protein at each meal. If the meal doesn't have 40g protien by itself I adjust it to 40g using whey protien, especially if I've just had dairy too... is this a good idea?

Thanks for your help,
Mark

Stabber
07-11-2003, 01:39 PM
I would like to know too. I eat a small meal sometimes and i'm full for 4 hours. ?? I'm guessing I should be listening to my body and eating when I'm hungry only? I can get by on 1700 calories daily and not be hungry.

Oh and about the protein dude.... just intake enough to match your lean body muscle weight. Example: if you weigh 100lbs and your lean body mass is 40lbs. Then intake at least 40g of protein daily.

bradley
07-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by mmckinley
Hi everybody. I've been working wierd hours and I frequntly find myself having to pack several meals into a short period of time, say 4 or 5 hours. Here's my question: How long does it take after eating for the digestive system to be ready for another meal? What variables (amount of fat, protien, fiber, water etc.) can influence this time? I know it makes sense to wait until I don't feel full, but sometimes I feel full for like 3 or 4 hours, even if the meal wasn't huge.

There are many variables that will determine how long it takes for a meal to be completely digested. Things such as macronutrients consumed, size of the meal, fiber content, etc. These are just to name a few. Digestion could vary anywhere from 2-6 hours depending on some of the variables mentioned above.

Obviously something like whey protein and malto will digest much faster than eggs and oats. Is there any reason why you can't just eat two larger meals in the 4-5 hour times span as opposed to "several?" Although I really do not think it is going to make that much of a difference.

I know that is not really a definite answer but I do not think it is possible to give an answer that would be any more specific.

Also, I try to eat around 40g protein at each meal. If the meal doesn't have 40g protien by itself I adjust it to 40g using whey protien, especially if I've just had dairy too... is this a good idea?

Sure that will be fine, but you could also have more protein at one meal and less at another to help balance out your protein intake. There is no magical number that the body will/will not digest:)

bradley
07-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Stabber
I would like to know too. I eat a small meal sometimes and i'm full for 4 hours. ?? I'm guessing I should be listening to my body and eating when I'm hungry only? I can get by on 1700 calories daily and not be hungry.

Eating according to hunger is not always the best way to go. Eating for activity would be a better guide IMO.

Ti1301
07-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Take it from me.
Eating when hungry won't work to gain.
I am still trying to learn to eat when i am not hungry, but during those times I am either in class or working.
Sucks.