PDA

View Full Version : Sardines

Stabber
07-11-2003, 01:37 PM
I bought about 5 cans of this stuff in Louisiana hot sauce. There are no nutritional facts on the label. Does anyone know how many calories, fat etc..this stuff has about 3 sardines in it

thanks

Tryska
07-11-2003, 01:39 PM
with the heads, tails bones, faces and stuff?

Tryska
07-11-2003, 01:39 PM
what's hte brandname?

Stabber
07-11-2003, 01:41 PM
hey, i dont think the head and faces are attached on mine. lol.

The brand is Brunswick. It's a 3.75 oz can

bradley
07-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Maybe this will give you an idea:)

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl?sardine

Tryska
07-11-2003, 01:48 PM
got-damn it's amazing the kind of information you can pick up by actually going to the websites.

this is the second time i've had to look up stuff for you isn't it stabber?

once more and yuor cut-off from my web-surfing skills. tuttut

http://www.brunswick.ca/usaenglish/product_specific.asp?flavourid=48

bradley
07-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Here it is:

http://www.brunswick.ca/unitedkingdom/product_specific.asp?flavourid=61

EDIT: Tryska found it first;)

Tryska
07-11-2003, 01:54 PM
hey that's not fair! how come you can get sardines jerk sauce in the uk, but not the us?

(that's sounds kinda interesting - but i don't really like brunswick. they dissapointed me with their kipper snacks. now Crown Prince - that's a brand i can get behind yum.)

Woz
07-11-2003, 01:55 PM
I have seen sardines at the top of a list of foods that are thought of as "super foods" Broccoli was at the top of the veg list.

Stabber
07-11-2003, 05:34 PM
thanks guys

papaoso2k1
07-13-2003, 08:27 PM
so do u guys think its ok to eat a can of sardines every other day?? im trying to increase my omega 3 intake...im already taking fish oil pills (only thing I could find)...I eat 1 or 2 cans of tuna every day...and eat fresh tuna 3 or 4 times a week..I eat about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil everyday with my salads..and at night I have some flax seeds (im trying to find flaxseed oil)

Delphi
07-13-2003, 09:55 PM
Tuna's good, but in general I wouldn't eat any one thing every day on a regular basis. IMO it would be better to get more variety so that you fill in the holes of what one particular food lacks.

bradley
07-14-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by papaoso2k1
so do u guys think its ok to eat a can of sardines every other day??

Yes:)

im trying to increase my omega 3 intake...im already taking fish oil pills (only thing I could find)...I eat 1 or 2 cans of tuna every day...and eat fresh tuna 3 or 4 times a week..

If you are trying to increase your omega 3 intake you could always just increase your fish oil consumption, which would be the easiest way. Adding in foods that are higher in n-3 fats is fine though. Have you thought about adding salmon to your diet?

I eat about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil everyday with my salads..and at night I have some flax seeds (im trying to find flaxseed oil)

Are you grinding up your flax seeds?

Tryska
07-14-2003, 09:19 AM
so do u guys think its ok to eat a can of sardines every other day?? im trying to increase my omega 3 intake...im already taking fish oil pills (only thing I could find)...I eat 1 or 2 cans of tuna every day...and eat fresh tuna 3 or 4 times a week..I eat about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil everyday with my salads..and at night I have some flax seeds (im trying to find flaxseed oil)

that's an awful lot of mercury with all that tuna.

there are plenty of other fish in the sea. especially little fish. like sardines.

Ironman8
07-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Do you guys know any sardines that are canned with water, and not tomatoe sauce? I always find the ones in tomatoe sauce, but there's a CRAPLOAD of sodium.

papaoso2k1
07-14-2003, 10:28 AM
I have seen sardines canned in tomato sauce...Vegetable oil, olive oil, but not water....What do u think is better....the ones canned with oil or with tomato sauce?

About the flax seeds...somethimes I grind them...somethimes I just take the damn things as they come...with water of course.....do u think I should grind them?

Tryska
07-14-2003, 10:29 AM
i'd say canned with olive oil.

technogeeky
07-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Tryska, you like sardines? I am losing faith in you baby!

Tryska
07-14-2003, 11:01 AM
i do like sardines. *lol*

actually i prefer kipper snacks, but in a pinch, sardines will do. (minus the bones tails and faces)

technogeeky
07-14-2003, 11:07 AM
*pukes*

Between cottage cheese and sardines, this place is starting to gross me out!!!

(Not to thread crap, but I think I lose 3 lbs last week!!) :)

Tryska
07-14-2003, 11:09 AM
congrats!

i didn't actually start liking them til like last year tho.

bradley
07-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Do you guys know any sardines that are canned with water, and not tomatoe sauce? I always find the ones in tomatoe sauce, but there's a CRAPLOAD of sodium.

http://www.brunswick.ca/unitedkingdom/product_specific.asp?flavourid=63

The ones in spring water will still contain a large amount of sodium:(

Tryska
07-14-2003, 04:15 PM
but you know tho...any canned, product is either going to have a crapload of salt or a crap load of sugar. those are hte original preservatives.

bradley
07-14-2003, 04:15 PM
About the flax seeds...somethimes I grind them...somethimes I just take the damn things as they come...with water of course.....do u think I should grind them?

To get the benefit of the flax seeds they need to be ground up, or you could chew them thoroughly. If the flax seeds are not ground up they will just pass straight through undigested, due to the tough outer coating of the seed.

papaoso2k1
07-14-2003, 09:02 PM
how many tablespoons of flax seed should i take every day??

bradley
07-15-2003, 02:35 AM
how many tablespoons of flax seed should i take every day??

Well it would depend on how much fat you currently are taking in each day.

One tbsp. of flaxseeds contains ~60 cals and 4g of fat. How much fat is in your diet currently and what are the sources?

papaoso2k1
07-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Other than the fat in my regular meals ...i take 2 tablespoons olive oil, 6 (1000mg) caps Omega 3 fish oil...a little bit of nuts before bed (1/8 cup) and the flax seeds (currently 1 tablespoon)...per day that is...I eat a fair amount of tuna

bradley
07-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Other than the fat in my regular meals ...i take 2 tablespoons olive oil, 6 (1000mg) caps Omega 3 fish oil...a little bit of nuts before bed (1/8 cup) and the flax seeds (currently 1 tablespoon)...per day that is...I eat a fair amount of tuna

It is really hard to pin down an exact number to tell you. Basically just continue taking in the fat sources that you have listed above and if you need more fat just add in more olive oil or flax seeds. Try and get ~25% of your daily cals from fat.

I have always seen ~6g of fish oil recommended daily which you are getting and then making sure that you are getting a good ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids. Olive oil can then be used to increase your overall fat intake.

There is really no ideal number set forth that I know of, and the best thing you can do IMO is to just make sure that you are taking in plenty to ensure that you have all your bases covered so to speak:)

papaoso2k1
07-15-2003, 09:21 PM
yeah I know what you mean...just to be on the safe side I bought 2 pounds of sardines today (regular fish, not canned...'cause of all the sodium) and 2 pounds of fresh tuna...

NHBFAN
01-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Does the cooking/canning process degrade the Omega 3s in canned sardines and fish steaks (herring)? Or, are they still a good source of EFAs?

tubstain1
01-10-2004, 03:38 PM
I dont like the taste of tuna out of the can, but sardines are the best! And in Louisiana hot sauce, absolutely delicios. Especially love crunching the bones up, good calcium :)

I try and drain as much sauce as I can, just a mild flavor on the fish, no smothering in sauce. It seems like a good alternative to tuna

Woz
01-10-2004, 03:58 PM
I read that the omega 3 content is not that great with canned fish. I also read that somebody having a few portions of fresh oily fish a week is getting enough omega 3.

Btw, eat the bones in canned sardines. They are very soft and you can't even tell you are eating them. They are a very good source of calcium.

windwork
01-11-2004, 01:23 PM
I read that the omega 3 content is not that great with canned fish. I also read that somebody having a few portions of fresh oily fish a week is getting enough omega 3.

Btw, eat the bones in canned sardines. They are very soft and you can't even tell you are eating them. They are a very good source of calcium.

thanks for the tip on the bones

Woz
01-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Bon appetite!