PDA

View Full Version : Calorie intake for breakfeast

Stabber
07-11-2003, 01:47 PM
How many calories should i intake for breakfeast? Is 250 too little? I've cut out milk so thats about what I eat for breakfeast. 2 eggs, and whey in water

bradley
07-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Stabber
How many calories should i intake for breakfeast? Is 250 too little? I've cut out milk so thats about what I eat for breakfeast. 2 eggs, and whey in water

How many calories and meals are you taking in each day? Do you work out in the morning or evening?

LAM
07-11-2003, 02:15 PM
breakfast should be the highest calorie meal. your body has just been starving for 8 hours it needs nutrients !!!!!!

daddyzombie
07-11-2003, 02:23 PM
I recently realized I was only takin in about 250 cals. for breakfast, and didn`t think it was enough. I doubled it to 500.

Silverback
07-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Even when cutting my breakfast is around 500 cals, i see it as a foundation to build off and it seems to help regulate my hunger throughout the day.

Obviously this is me and you have to adjust to what suits you, breakfast is important nutrient wise because you usually have a period of 8hrs+ without food, a way to make breakfast less important would be to add a meal planned in your sleep time, but not everyone can follow that schedule.

restless
07-11-2003, 02:51 PM
It's always my largest meal, unless I'm working out in the morning. Usually it's around 1000 KCals.

Maxgain
07-11-2003, 03:18 PM
you definatly need a better breakfast nothing like getting a good start to the day. I find i dont have time in the morning so get strawberry yoghurt (300g) whey protein (2 scoops) tablespoon of oil bananna nectarine 1 cup porridge oats and 1 cup of milk mix to give a delicous quick shake 800 plus cals.Without a good breakfast you are playing catchup through the day and wont have excess cals for gaining weight

bradley
07-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by LAM
breakfast should be the highest calorie meal. your body has just been starving for 8 hours it needs nutrients !!!!!!

Well I work out at 5 am and if you consider breakfast the first meal of the day then mine is definitely not the largest meal of the day.

I take in a pre/post workout shake and then have my first whole food meal of the day, but I understand where you are coming from. Just pointing out that sometimes the first meal can not be your largest meal.;)

Stabber
07-11-2003, 05:31 PM
well maybe i'll have some milk with my whey instead then. This diet stuff is confusing

LAM
07-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Well I work out at 5 am and if you consider breakfast the first meal of the day then mine is definitely not the largest meal of the day.

I take in a pre/post workout shake and then have my first whole food meal of the day, but I understand where you are coming from. Just pointing out that sometimes the first meal can not be your largest meal.;)

i'm with you on that one. I'm at the gym by 4:15 a.m so as soon as I wake up it's 25 grams of malto and 20 grams of whey for me and I'm out the door.

GhettoSmurf
07-11-2003, 06:27 PM
well maybe i'll have some milk with my whey instead then. This diet stuff is confusing

is there a reason you cant have some complex carbs like oatmeal for breakfast?my breakfast is usually over 600 calories.

1.5 Cups of oatmeal (dry)
6 egg whites
1 Whole egg

but then again, i guess it depends on what your goals are, and what your schedual is like.

Stabber
07-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

is there a reason you cant have some complex carbs like oatmeal for breakfast?my breakfast is usually over 600 calories.

1.5 Cups of oatmeal (dry)
6 egg whites
1 Whole egg

but then again, i guess it depends on what your goals are, and what your schedual is like.

would cereal work instead of oatmeal?

GhettoSmurf
07-11-2003, 06:44 PM
it depends what kind.

Stabber
07-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
it depends what kind.

hmm what kind should i eat? low sugar i assume?

does this mean no cocoa krispies? :help:

GhettoSmurf
07-11-2003, 09:56 PM

hmm what kind should i eat? low sugar i assume?

does this mean no cocoa krispies? :help:

well, IMHO oatmeal tops all other breakfast cereals. but some cereals like kashi go-lean, or all bran, or fiber one can be alright.

if your not too worried about the GI in the morning then cheerios or shredded wheat would also be ok IMO.

Stabber
07-11-2003, 10:17 PM
hmm what about quaker oats oatmeal. You know, the multi-variety pack with honey mapel, apple cinimain (i know i didnt spell that right. I have spelled that word like 2 times my entire life)

GhettoSmurf
07-11-2003, 11:21 PM
no, those just contain a load of sugar.

go with plain Quaker Oatmeal. The non-flavored kind.

if you cant stand the taste of the plain oatmeal, then try adding some cinnamon or sugar substitute like splenda to it.

manowar669
07-12-2003, 08:43 AM
I'm with G-Spot, I mean Smurf on this one. Buy cheapie generic rolled oats, or quick oats. You get like 30 servings for $1.50 or less. Quick oats take about 1 minute in the microwave. I mix in Splenda and Cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon Crazy Richard's brand Natural Peanut Butter. Along with a 7 egg-white omelette, and I'm good to go! Takes about 5 minutes to make if you're slick at separating egg whites (I am).

Woz
07-12-2003, 02:04 PM
I read something in a book by Adelle Davies (Let's eat right to keep fit) She says that oats are not as good for keeping blood sugar stable as people believe unless they cook it how she suggests. She says make porridge with milk but then also add the equivalent in dried milk powder as well. This is supposed to be better for blood sugar levels than sausages, bacon, eggs and toast or cereals etc. You could add honey as a sweetener. Manuka honey is supposed to be best. Something about it being very good for the digestive system. This is making me hungry!

bradley
07-12-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Woz
I read something in a book by Adelle Davies (Let's eat right to keep fit) She says that oats are not as good for keeping blood sugar stable as people believe unless they cook it how she suggests. She says make porridge with milk but then also add the equivalent in dried milk powder as well. This is supposed to be better for blood sugar levels than sausages, bacon, eggs and toast or cereals etc. You could add honey as a sweetener. Manuka honey is supposed to be best. Something about it being very good for the digestive system. This is making me hungry!

Well that is true, but the protein would serve to slow the digestion of the oats. There is nothing really special about what she is recommending and if you are eating your oats with other macros (protein and fat) you will be getting the same effect.

This is supposed to be better for blood sugar levels than sausages, bacon, eggs and toast or cereals etc.

I would have to disagree with the above statement. Sausage, bacon, and eggs are going to have a lot less impact on blood sugar levels than oats w/milk.

The toast and cereal are a different story. Both of these foods could cause a more substantial increase in blood sugar than oats w/milk.