PDA

View Full Version : omega 3 fish oil

Bam Bam
07-12-2003, 03:17 PM
Bradley i am switching from udos or flaz to fish oil as i have seen you recommend is omega 3 emulsified fish oil by twin lab a good one as its the only oil i can find or should i get a different form in caps?

bradley
07-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Yeah the Twinlab looks fine IMO, although the taste may be a little rough.

Do you have access to the flavored kind? If so I would probably go with that over the unflavored.

Bam Bam
07-13-2003, 02:30 PM
i havnt looked i stuck it in the fridge but then read it should be in a cool dry place so i put it in my counter ill just drink it with my bed time shake i actually think it tastes funny without oil now

JuniorMint6669
07-13-2003, 08:55 PM
If you want inexpensive fish oil caps, you can get them at costco! 300, 1g caps for only $7!! what a deal. I paid $7 for only 180 last time i bought them.

bradley
07-14-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
If you want inexpensive fish oil caps, you can get them at costco! 300, 1g caps for only $7!! what a deal. I paid $7 for only 180 last time i bought them.

I would make sure that they have been molecularly distilled before I purchased them, although most of the brands that I have seen have been.

How many grams of EPA/DHA do they contain per 1g of fish oil?

carolinagirl
07-14-2003, 07:54 AM
150 EPA /100 DHA per 1 g fish oil.

(I buy mine at Costco too.)

JuniorMint6669
07-14-2003, 09:43 AM
It doesnt say that they have been molecularly distilled, but neither do my "NOW" brand ones. Mine have different eph/dha as yours carolinagirl...

180epa/120dha, also same as my "NOW" brand.

BTW, the brand is "Kirkland Signature" and it says that: "USP has tested and verified ingredients, potency, and manufacturing process. USP sets official standards for dietary supplements."

Any thoughts bradley? You think o.k. to take?

bradley
07-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
It doesnt say that they have been molecularly distilled, but neither do my "NOW" brand ones. Mine have different eph/dha as yours carolinagirl...

180epa/120dha, also same as my "NOW" brand.

BTW, the brand is "Kirkland Signature" and it says that: "USP has tested and verified ingredients, potency, and manufacturing process. USP sets official standards for dietary supplements."

Any thoughts bradley? You think o.k. to take?

Yes the NOW foods is a good brand, but I got the following statement off of an online supplement site just to make sure:)

Omega-3 Fish Oil

NOW® Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate is molecularly distilled and manufactured under strict quality control. It is screened to ensure the absence of potentially harmful contaminants.

Bam Bam
07-14-2003, 11:37 AM
so are caps just as good as liquids??

chops
07-14-2003, 03:02 PM
this guy could just be looking to make money off the brand he sells [carlson's], but fyi see what he says about the fish caps from costco

http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/2/fish_oil.htm

bradley
07-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Bam Bam
so are caps just as good as liquids??

As far as I know yes, but you might want to bite into one of the caps to check and make sure that the oil is not rancid. I have heard some people voice concerns about the caps being stored in plastic containers, but never really seen any concrete evidence as to this being detrimental to the quality of the caps.

Bam Bam
07-30-2003, 01:23 PM
so bradley would i know if it was rancid mine taste kinda minty

it says store in a cool dry place but i was thinking about putting it in the fridge as its well over 100 here most days and my house dosnt stay too cool when im gone any problems with that??

bradley
07-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Bam Bam
so bradley would i know if it was rancid mine taste kinda minty

I would imagine that you would be able to tell if the oil was rancid, and fromt the taste you decscribe above that does not seem to be the case.

From the information that I have read rancid fish oil will have an extremely fish smell/taste to it, but then again that is a vague answer.

it says store in a cool dry place but i was thinking about putting it in the fridge as its well over 100 here most days and my house dosnt stay too cool when im gone any problems with that??

The refrigerator would work fine.

Pipimo
07-30-2003, 04:33 PM
What are your thoughts on this product
http://www.sndcanada.com/gc/gc_item.exe?F=D&K=FL-0000&V=Brief&R=S%2Foil&ID=07301823066618584205171

its a canadian site

bradley
07-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Pipimo
What are your thoughts on this product
http://www.sndcanada.com/gc/gc_item.exe?F=D&K=FL-0000&V=Brief&R=S%2Foil&ID=07301823066618584205171

The product itself is would probably be fine as far as quality, but it contains n-6 fats. Most people get plenty of n-6 fats in their diet so there really is no need to supplement with a product that would further increase the amount of n-6 fats in their diet.

Also the n-3 fats are derived from ALA which has to be converted to EPA/DHA in the body, which is not an effectient process.

I would just supplement with fish oil since it supplies EPA/DHA directly without the need for conversion, and there is no need for more n-6 fats unless you feel you are not getting enough through your diet.

Fenway
08-02-2003, 07:55 PM
i just bought Wild Sockeye Salmon Oil 1000mg softgels. states a 1 to 1 ration of EPA and DHA per capsule.

any clue if this is sufficient for my diet bradley?

bradley
08-03-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Fenway
i just bought Wild Sockeye Salmon Oil 1000mg softgels. states a 1 to 1 ration of EPA and DHA per capsule.

any clue if this is sufficient for my diet bradley?

I looked up Wild Sockeye Salmon oil and the brands that I saw all contain 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA, which would be fine. Somewhere around 6-8g per day.

Fenway
08-03-2003, 12:10 PM
natural factors is the brand, i am sorry i didn't include that...kinda missed it (dumb noob) and they are claiming 90 mg of EPA AND DHA per capsule...

is there a better time in the day to eat these, the guy in the store told me with a full meal, but i dn't want them after i work out b/c of the fat content, so i think perhaps i should eat them in the morning and or midmoring? Or is it better to break them up and eat them throughout the day.

bradley
08-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Fenway
is there a better time in the day to eat these, the guy in the store told me with a full meal, but i dn't want them after i work out b/c of the fat content, so i think perhaps i should eat them in the morning and or midmoring? Or is it better to break them up and eat them throughout the day.

It really is not going to make that much of a difference as to when you take the caps, and I would just spread them out throughout the day.

Since the caps only contain 90mg of EPA/DHA you will probably want to take more than 6-8g each day.