PDA

View Full Version : scared of bulking =/

frankm007
07-12-2003, 04:46 PM
i've bulked before and managed to gain 20lbs in 5 months... my waist went from a 32 to a 36 though, i cut back down and made it to a 31..now i wanna get my weight up to 190 (20 lbs more again), i can do this, simple..but im scared of cheat meals...

do u guys have ur cheat meals often when u bulk? it makes it so much easier to gain obviously...

i'm looking over my last bulk basically, i added 1360 calories over my maintenance over a period of 5 months... those calories came from

2c yogurt, 1c kashi cereal, 4oz more chicken, pita, MRP, ham & cheese sandwich,
p&b sandwich, 1c more of milk and 1/2 scoop more of whey... and i cheated twice a week (pizza, baked potatoes, chinese, etc.)

i wanna get my weight up, but i wanna gain more quality muscle... i dont wanna bulk and be back where i was 5 months ago =/

bradley
07-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Well you obviously have the disclipline as far as limiting yourself to a certain amount of calories each day, seeing as how you were able to cut successfully. Just apply this same "technique" when trying to gain weight.

There is nothing that says you have to have a cheat meal, and if you do just keep it within moderation.

Also 20lbs. in 5 months seems like a little much IMO, which could be the reason for the large increase in waist circumference. Try taking it a little slower this time, and maybe have a goal of .5lb per week. Gaining at a slower rate will help in minimizing increases in bf.

Scott S
07-12-2003, 06:00 PM
I'm doing a less-disciplined bulk for the time being, but only because it's my very first bulking cycle and I have much more size gains to make than a more experienced lifter. I will be bulking very slowly next time, though.

frankm007
07-12-2003, 06:23 PM
scott, problem is... if i would of knowned how to bulk better before, i would of been much more succesfull my two previous times... u SHOULD gain slowly, otherwise, as u gain fat...ur fat cells increase, once they are at their fullest, u create NEW cells... once u have new cells, u will never get rid of them (only shrink in size)... it's not that big a deal, but.. makes u more prone to get fat. i'll take bradley's advice and stick to .5 lbs a week... after 5 months 10lbs increase if most comes from muscle is great progress!

SoulOfKoRea
07-12-2003, 06:44 PM
hmm, I think I may skip the whole "bulking" and "cutting" phase dilemmas, I will probably stick to eating maintenance with a small energy deficit from activities and lifting

bradley
07-13-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
hmm, I think I may skip the whole "bulking" and "cutting" phase dilemmas, I will probably stick to eating maintenance with a small energy deficit from activities and lifting

While I agree that eating close to maintenance will provide results, I doubt that you are going to see much of a size increase eating at maintenance calories. The whole concept of maintenance calories is the amount of calories you need each day to maintain your current bodyweight.

If you are trying to minimize the amount of bf that you gain eating just slightly above maintenance would be a better approach IMO. You can't expect to gain much, if any, size eating at or slightly below maintenance.

SoulOfKoRea
07-13-2003, 07:30 AM
^^

so 300 Cals above maintenance, would I expect to see results? wouldn't weight lifting and other activities throughout the day put me back at my maintenance?

bradley
07-13-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
^^

so 300 Cals above maintenance, would I expect to see results? wouldn't weight lifting and other activities throughout the day put me back at my maintenance?

What I am saying is you are going to have to be in a caloric surplus to gain any significant amount of LBM.

For example, if your maintenance calorie intake was 2,000 cals per day and the activities you performed required 500 cals per day. This would mean you would have to eat above 2,500 cals per day to be in a caloric surplus at the end of the day.

Scott S
07-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by frankm007
scott, problem is... u SHOULD gain slowly, otherwise, as u gain fat...ur fat cells increase, once they are at their fullest, u create NEW cells... once u have new cells, u will never get rid of them (only shrink in size)... it's not that big a deal, but.. makes u more prone to get fat. i'll take bradley's advice and stick to .5 lbs a week... after 5 months 10lbs increase if most comes from muscle is great progress!

Very true. I think I exaggerated my bulking speed though! I'm currently putting on about a pound a week, so the fat isn't *jumping* on me or anything. If anything, I'd guess that my BF % hasn't increased a great deal over this bulk, but I am seeing good muscle growth.

If this guy is any indication, I'm not going to worry *too* much if I get some extra fat cells. ;)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32784&highlight=transformation

EDIT: The pictures aren't up anymore, sorry! It's the Bruce Randall 415 -> 205 thread. :D