PDA

View Full Version : Blight needs a diet evaluation!

Blight
07-12-2003, 05:00 PM
I'm strying to lose about five more pounds this summer. I've been doing HIIT for the past week or so and I have combined that with proper resistance training. I just need some pointers on diet, so any help on adding or kicking stuff out of my diet is greatly appreciated. Here's a typical day

Breakfast : 1/2 cup cheerios, protein shake, banana

Snack: Almonds with some dried fruit or fresh fruit (although this may switch to a protein bar in the near future)

Lunch: Can of tuna, some fresh fruit

Snack: Same as previous snack

Dinner: Usually chicken breast or fish grilled on a george forman , brown rice, veggies.

Snack: Two slices of whole wheat bread with nattural PB.

I also take a multivitamin with breakfast and one flax seed oil cap and one fish oil cap with breakfast and dinner.

I usually excerise around 6pm and eat around 7. I do HIIT three days a week and lift three days a week, with one day of rest.

Thanks! :D

SoulOfKoRea
07-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Blight

Snack: Almonds with some dried fruit or fresh fruit (although this may switch to a protein bar in the near future)

Lunch: Can of tuna, some fresh fruit

Snack: Same as previous snack

Dinner: Usually chicken breast or fish grilled on a george forman , brown rice, veggies.

I also take a multivitamin with breakfast and one flax seed oil cap and one fish oil cap with breakfast and dinner.

I usually excerise around 6pm and eat around 7.

Brekky - try eating something besides cereal, it might seem healthy but if you read the ingredients, often times you will find pure crap in there, along with a bucket of sugar. breakfast is your most important meal(unless you count post workout shakes as a meal), you just starved for a long long time, so your body wants food, and lots of it. try eating oatmeal, eggs, and a protein shake to down it with.

snack - keep the almonds, don't really know much about dried fruits, don't get bars.

lunch - tuna is fine, might want to get some carbs and healthy fats in with this meal too(natty peanut butter sandwich!)

snack - try to get a variety of foods in your diet, often when people eat the same thing day in and day out they lose motivation and the body doesn't get a good balance of vitamins..etc...

dinner - looks fine

overall, it looks like a small amount of food, depending on the serving sizes and your bodyweight.

post workout, you might want to invest in whey protein and mix it with water and some high gi carbohydrates such as dextrose or maltodextrin.

Ironman8
07-12-2003, 07:27 PM
Have about eating some more healthy fats? Like fish oil or flax supplements. Also, what are those calories equaling? It looks pretty low.

Blight
07-12-2003, 10:55 PM
Here's some more info:

I'm about 135, so how many calories would I need to be below mateinence? I forgot to add that I do drink a protein shake after my workout. And if you look at my original post you will see that I take 2 fish oil caps and 2 flax oil caps a day. Thanks for you input, guys. I think my cals might be a little low, so I'll eat a bit more!

GhettoSmurf
07-12-2003, 11:33 PM
135!??? KG's? or pounds? how tall are you??

Blight
07-13-2003, 02:01 AM
I'm only 5'6 and it's in pounds. :redface:

bradley
07-13-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Blight
Here's some more info:

I'm about 135, so how many calories would I need to be below mateinence?

The easiest way would be to adjust daily calories up/down in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week. Although from the looks of your diet you might not be taking in enough cals as it is. This would depend on portion sizes and the overall amount of food you are eating. Try plugging your diet into www.fitday.com which will give you an idea of the total amount of cals you are eating and also the macro breakdown.

I forgot to add that I do drink a protein shake after my workout. And if you look at my original post you will see that I take 2 fish oil caps and 2 flax oil caps a day. Thanks for you input, guys. I think my cals might be a little low, so I'll eat a bit more!

IMO you should be getting ~25% of your daily cals from fat, with most of this total coming from healthy sources. I see that you are taking in some fish oil and flax oil but I would recommend adding in some more. Maybe bump the fish oil up to ~6g per day and throw in some olive oil to help increase overall fat intake.

This would be fine for breakfast although I think you could add some more cals in this meal. A lower GI carb like oats would help control appetite more than the cheerios and banana.

You have to watch the amount of dried fruit that you are eating, because the calories can add up quickly.

IMO a protein bar is fine if you do decide to switch.

More protein before bed would be beneficial IMO. Maybe go with some cottage cheese or something similar to make sure that you are getting some protein in before the overnight fast. The peanut butter is still a good idea seeing as it will slow the digestion of whatever protein source that you eat.

I forgot to add that I do drink a protein shake after my workout.

Throw some carbs into your post workout shake along with your protein, which will help refill muscle glycogen post workout.