PDA

View Full Version : whole grain bread

Delphi
07-13-2003, 08:47 AM
We've been looking into buying better bread. The stuff in the local grocery stores is out. We're having trouble finding what we're looking for, even at the local "family nutrition" store.

Here's what we're looking for:

100% whole grain
lots of fiber- hopefully > 5 g
no enriched flour
no/low saturated fat

Are we on the right track or are there different things we should be looking for? Any brands that can be recommended? Here's the hard part- where can you get such a bread?

Woz
07-13-2003, 09:43 AM
I think if it's wholegrain then it wont be low in fibre so no need to find out how many grams of fibre at least. Wholemeal is very good also.

GhettoSmurf
07-13-2003, 10:24 AM
might want to check the amount of sugar as well. sometimes companies will add some honey and/or brown sugar to the bread.

bradley
07-13-2003, 11:52 AM
I have been using Nature's Own 100% whole wheat bread which meats all of the criteria above except the fiber content (3g per slice). Most all supermarkets in my area carry this bread, but that could be a different story in Texas:)

http://www.naturesownbread.com/electroPublisher/website/index.cfm

Per 1 slice (26g)

cals 50
fat 1g
sat fat. 0g
carbs 10g
sugar 1g
fiber 3g
protein 4g

SoulOfKoRea
07-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by bradley
I have been using Nature's Own 100% whole wheat bread which meats all of the criteria above except the fiber content (3g per slice). Most all supermarkets in my area carry this bread, but that could be a different story in Texas:)

http://www.naturesownbread.com/electroPublisher/website/index.cfm

Per 1 slice (26g)

cals 50
fat 1g
sat fat. 0g
carbs 10g
sugar 1g
fiber 3g
protein 4g

that's what I eat, but sometimes it has a funny smell to it, know what that is? kind of like a sweet smell to it.

carolinagirl
07-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Y'all might want to consider investing in a bread machine. I think you can get them pretty cheaply nowadays (I bet you could get a great one for ~ $200-$250, and a perfectly serviceable one for around $100-$125.)

I don't have a machine, but I make most of my bread myself. That way I know EXACTLY what's in it. Most grocery store brands have plenty of sweeteners (usually the dreaded high-fructose corn syrup) as well as preservatives and other undesirable things.

Also, it smells amazing while it's baking....and even if you mess it up somehow (which is really not easy to do), it's still about a bazillion times better than bought bread! (Only drawback: it's so much better that you may end up eating more bread than you intended. :()

bradley
07-13-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea

that's what I eat, but sometimes it has a funny smell to it, know what that is? kind of like a sweet smell to it.

Never really paid much attention to it TBH. I might give it a good smell tomorrow and see if I notice anything;)

Although I probably would not know the difference as I have been eating the same type of bread every since I was a little kid.

bradley
07-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by carolinagirl
Y'all might want to consider investing in a bread machine. I think you can get them pretty cheaply nowadays (I bet you could get a great one for ~ $200-$250, and a perfectly serviceable one for around $100-$125.)

I don't have a machine, but I make most of my bread myself. That way I know EXACTLY what's in it. Most grocery store brands have plenty of sweeteners (usually the dreaded high-fructose corn syrup) as well as preservatives and other undesirable things.

Also, it smells amazing while it's baking....and even if you mess it up somehow (which is really not easy to do), it's still about a bazillion times better than bought bread! (Only drawback: it's so much better that you may end up eating more bread than you intended. :()

I agree with you 100%. I have a bread machine here at the house but I haven't used it in a while. Maybe I will pull it off the shelf and give it a go:)

The one I have is pretty cheap, but it will knead the dough and all that stuff for you. Think I paid about $89 for it 3 or 4 years ago.

Scott S
07-13-2003, 06:00 PM
I always get Grant's Farm Whole Wheat bread. It's 70 cals/slice, and the first ingredient is stone ground whole wheat flour, so I figure it's good. :)

Delphi
07-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm shopping tonight so I'll look for Nature's Own and Grant's Farm.

CG, we actually have a bread maker! How do you go about getting good ingredients to put in the bread?

Scott S
07-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Good deal. Just be sure you DON'T buy the "Stone Ground" bread from Grant's Farm -- it's main ingredient is ENRICHED wheat flour! :scratch:

carolinagirl
07-13-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Delphi
CG, we actually have a bread maker! How do you go about getting good ingredients to put in the bread?

:scratch:

Um, I go to the grocery store. ;) No, seriously....flour, salt, water, and yeast are the only essential ingredients for bread - everything else is just trimmin's. So you can really choose what you put in based on whatever nutritional goals you have.

Any decent general cookbook should have some bread recipes in it....just substitute away. (Things like whole wheat flour for white flour, honey or molasses for white sugar, skim milk for water, olive oil for butter would all make the nutritional profile more fabulous......all these things will change the finished product slightly, but it's probably worth it if you're making your own bread for reasons of health instead of palate.)

I'd be glad to hook you up with some good recipes if you want.

bradley
07-14-2003, 03:38 AM
Delphi-

I ran a search on google and found a lot of different bread recipes that can be made using a bread machine. Might be worth a look if you decide to pull out your bread machine.

This site has a lot of bread recipes in general and one recipe for whole wheat bread using the bread machine:)

http://fp.enter.net/~rburk/breads/breadmachine/breadmachine.htm

Delphi
07-14-2003, 06:16 AM
I guess the question is, with finding whole-grain bread so difficult where are we going to find some whole-grain wheat?

I looked at about 12 types of bread last night. The few that were whole-grain (and not unbleached enriched) had high fructose corn syrup in them.

:bash:

carolinagirl
07-14-2003, 07:49 AM
Well, if your grocery store doesn't carry whole wheat flour (mine does), you can order some. King Arthur Flour has the best flour I've EVER baked with (oddly enough, it actually does make a noticeable difference) and they also carry all the extras your little heart could desire as well.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/main.html

(There's some good bread recipes on the site, as well.)

ectx
07-14-2003, 10:18 AM
I really like the Nature'sOwn, I also like the 7 grain bread out there...not sure on nutritional content, but I think it fits the bill.

Tryska
07-14-2003, 10:23 AM
oatmeal (cooked) added in to the dough makes a nice moist bread. (don't know the exact recipe tho - just ran across that tip somewhere)

Tryska
07-14-2003, 10:42 AM
http://www.recipecottage.com/breads-machine/