PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Power for boxing?

Franco
07-13-2003, 02:01 PM
A friend of mine is about to head off back to the states in august to continue with his boxing. He's around 5"8 175lbs. His main objective is to increase his punching power immensely, i've suggested some sort of hybrid routine centered around oly and pl. Apart from actually improving his skill in this aspect what wopuld be the most efficient methods to increase the punching power?

J450n
07-13-2003, 02:12 PM
I think it's more of an overall improvement on traps, lats, delts, bi's and tri's... basically increasing upper body strength/build is needed to increase 'punching power'... there's no quick solution..

Increased leg strength is a must for power of push-off on a punch i.e a good strong base.

PowerManDL
07-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Punching is a lot of hip torque. Focusing on leg drive and rotational core strength is going to be a big part of it.

Twisting ab work and low back strength should be high on the list.

I also agree with your suggestion of a PL and OL hybrid, as these lifts will build strength and speed-strength in the needed muscle groups.

Focus on a speed day oriented around Olympic lifts and Wsstside-style speed work, and a day oriented around strength-- not necessarily max-effort work, but heavy nonetheless, for upper body and lower body.

Adding in one or two days of cardiovascular training would be a good idea as well. Have a day oriented towards light or moderate distance work, and a day oriented towards intense intervals like you'd find in a boxing match.

Bam Bam
07-13-2003, 02:21 PM
i would say your punching power is established before you ever train to box but if i was going to try to increase punching power i would work on legs and technique(i havnt figured out how to drive with my legs yet)

Meat_Head
07-13-2003, 05:08 PM
If he really wants to, tell him to do the powerlifting/olympic hybrid, and also throw in a grip day. Increasing the mass in his hands/wrists/forearms/arms will immensly increase the power and force of the punch.

FortifiedIron
07-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
Punching is a lot of hip torque. Focusing on leg drive and rotational core strength is going to be a big part of it.

Twisting ab work and low back strength should be high on the list.

I also agree with your suggestion of a PL and OL hybrid, as these lifts will build strength and speed-strength in the needed muscle groups.

Focus on a speed day oriented around Olympic lifts and Wsstside-style speed work, and a day oriented around strength-- not necessarily max-effort work, but heavy nonetheless, for upper body and lower body.

Adding in one or two days of cardiovascular training would be a good idea as well. Have a day oriented towards light or moderate distance work, and a day oriented towards intense intervals like you'd find in a boxing match.

Would def. agree with the core work and rotational work for power.

Kc

Bam Bam
07-14-2003, 11:15 AM
how could you make your hands bigger???

benchmonster
07-14-2003, 03:31 PM
My hands are much broader and thicker than they were before I started lifting, bam bam.

The rotational strength thing is probably most important, as is proper punching technique.

Oh, and if your friend is planning on getting serious about his fighting, I hope he has monkey arms, or is planning on losing a lot of weight to fight.

In this country 175 lb fighters are often over 6 feet tall. And most of them have a wingspan of 6 feet 6 inches or more. No matter how hard your friend punches, if he can't reach them, he won't hit them.

B.

Franco
07-15-2003, 02:50 AM
He has plans of turning pro when he returns

nejar462
07-15-2003, 02:47 PM
wasn't tyson's reach not so long either, i mean from recollection i don't remember him having extreme reach either. Neither does RJJ, or bruce lee (im completely sure, im just saying what i think is true) so he should at least try it regardless of his height or whatever,, I mean he'll regret it if like in the future shorters boxers are the norm. Heh, he could revolution boxing. BTW if he plans on turning pro he must have done pretty well in amateurs so he should just give it a go. The worst thing is he's not that good and can coach or soemthing the rest of his life.

Bam Bam
07-15-2003, 07:43 PM
if you can get inside like mike wingspan does not matter

or if the guy has a large wingspan but his punches go wide

nejar462
07-15-2003, 07:59 PM
true, when my short little ass gets inside i can do some serious damage,

Tyson at his time was the freaking man at slipping punches and had some strong punches

Tyson would slip a punch, get inside, get a surprise power hook(the only thing worse than a strong punch, is a surprise strong punch, not even a chance to roll with it) in the middle of a combo, and knock his opponent the **** out. I'm sure if your friend did well in the amateurs he already knows these basics though. So no need to tell him.

Right hooks rule, left hooks to the liver own even more.

BTW BAM BAM dumb question, but when u do no holds barred, what kind of stance do u use? I'm having trouble finding one good for both boxing and wrestling aspects of NHB. I'm trying to be like Liddell, but crouching much more but im not sure if thats good.

benchmonster
07-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Nejar, a bit wider stance is necessary, i think, than in boxing, cause you don't want any weight on that front leg when you get kicked in it. But I don't think you need to get extreme about it.

Think about this. you can punch faster than you can kick, right? Well, a good boxing stance that allows you to move well should be pretty effective if you are willing to come in quick and throw punches while a guy is trying to kick. A kick requires setup time, while a punch does not. If it looks like he is setting up to kick, punch him.

If he is trying to shoot your legs for a single or double leg, throw uppercuts while throwing your hips back. After eating 2 or 3 uppercuts a wrestler will stop shooting for your legs, then you have a wrestler on his feet, and what is more fun than that?

B.

nejar462
07-16-2003, 10:09 AM
BM didn't know you were into NHB cool,

i'd think you'd have to be pretty quick to throw uppercuts the way you describe, i mean its hard enough to just sprawl, whizzer and cross face when some shoots in, although maybe im just a bit slow. Plus I'm mostly a wrestler.