PDA

View Full Version : Insulin resistance

Life4ever
08-23-2001, 03:59 PM
Can your diet make you insulin resistance? Can this be permenant? i think this has occured in me.....I did a no carb diet one time.....for awhile, with carb loads every 3 days, and ever since, my metabolsim is fuked up. Also, for 4 weeks, i did a warrior diet eating a meal at ngiht, this fuking sucked and now im never hungry and even got more bodyfat. My question is, can insulin resistance come from your diet and is it permenet? could ALA help me?

Tryska
08-23-2001, 04:32 PM
Yes insulin resistance can be triggered by your diet (although you have to have a genetic predisposition as well), but if you eat a large amount of carbs, and your body doesn't handle them well, you can develop a problem. Your metabolism is probably highly scrwed from that warrior diet thing, especially considering your hunger signals are shot to hell.

i would say, really limit the grains, sugars, and High GI carbs in your diet....basically eat meats, dairy, adequate fat and fresh fruits and vegetables...try this for about a month and see how you respond. the first couple weeks you might feel a bit rundown, but after your body acclimates your should be just fine.

also, eat ever 2-3 hours regardless of if you are hungry or not. this will help manage your blood sugar through the day....

I started doing this about 4 weeks ago, and i'm definitely tolerating it well. I started because i was concerned about essentially the same things your concerned about.

if you'd like i can show you how my diet is currently. it may not make sense to some, but it's done wonders for my energy levels through the day.

Life4ever
08-23-2001, 04:53 PM
thanks tyrska....im going to try to eat 7 times a day now. Also, for postassium, what dosage do u recommend daily? thanks.

Tryska
08-23-2001, 04:59 PM
cool.....umm..i currently take...1100mg potassium gluconate 2 times a day. (the tabs are actually 90mg elemental potassium, so that's a little shy of 400mg actual potassium a day)

breeze
08-23-2001, 06:38 PM
You can't tell if you have insulin resistance until you take regular blood glucose level test. Yes your diet can cause insulin resistance or diabetes.

Wizard
08-24-2001, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
Yes insulin resistance can be triggered by your diet (although you have to have a genetic predisposition as well), but if you eat a large amount of carbs, and your body doesn't handle them well, you can develop a problem. Your metabolism is probably highly scrwed from that warrior diet thing, especially considering your hunger signals are shot to hell.

Well,after being for about 10days on the W.diet,I must admit that I suffered from a kind of hypoglycemia.I switched back to the old 5-6 meals diet and after 2-3 days I recovered...
So,I give at Tryska's statement a positive feedback. ;)

IceRgrrl
08-24-2001, 06:56 AM
I have a touch of hypoglycemia...it runs in my family. What works for me is eating every 4 hours or so with some protein at each meal.

I also tend to stay away from the starchy and sugary processed carbs and eat mostly fruits and veggies for carbs along with whole grain bread, oatmeal, wild or brown rice, and whole wheat pasta.

If I don't eat frequently, I feel weak, woozy, irritable, and sleepy. Then when I eat something, I can literally feel the nutrients entering my bloodstream, like a drug, and I almost immediately feel better.

Experiment a little and see what works for you...

Tryska
08-24-2001, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Blackalpha

Well,after being for about 10days on the W.diet,I must admit that I suffered from a kind of hypoglycemia.I switched back to the old 5-6 meals diet and after 2-3 days I recovered...
So,I give at Tryska's statement a positive feedback. ;)

well thank god man....i was worrying about you with that, since i've been down that road long term and know just how much damage it can do......good news! :)