PDA

View Full Version : Post-Workout Got this Crazy thought today

papaoso2k1
07-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Today a did a little bit of cardio(50 min jogging) and when i got home and starded fixing my usual post workout drink ( 2 scoops whey, gatorade and tang) i remember all the things Ive read about post workout nutrition...you know.. High GI ...Simple sugars..protein, all that stuff and i wondered...What if you turn your post workout meal into some sort of cheat meal..you know ..eating food you normally wouldnt eat...like full-of-sugar breakfast cereals...or raisin or some stuff like that...does it make sense???

GhettoSmurf
07-13-2003, 11:18 PM
well it may spike your insulin the same way as dextrose or maltodextrin, but i guess you need to consider how much it will help you build muscle.

AJ_11
07-14-2003, 03:43 AM
Malto/Dextrose would be a better choice. Suger is only half gluco the other half is fructose. It takes longer to digest. And frutose doesn't even make it to your muscles. Goes to the liver, which also means that it wont affect insulin levels.

SoulOfKoRea
07-14-2003, 05:52 PM
it would take a lot longer to digest since it's food vs. liquid.

Berserker
07-14-2003, 10:14 PM
I would have a normal shake. But if your gonna pig out do it after a wo. Just make sure your getting protein

Budiak
07-15-2003, 12:58 AM
Dude, if you want, eat a bowl of cap'n crunch along with a shake. It won't kill you. And if you eat it all immediately after workout(no 40+ minute drive home like me) I wouldnt worry about slowing digestion.

papaoso2k1
07-15-2003, 08:59 AM
Cereal is like cryptonite to me....It makes me weak...when I cheat on my diet I dont eat burgers or pizza or ice cream ...I eat Cereal!!! But sometimes i cant have it with moderation...i have to eat allmost a full box...thats why right now Im not buying cereal (if you dont have it how are you gonna eat it??).... What about raisins, I think they have a High GI and are full of sugar and potassium

aka23
07-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by papaoso2k1
Today a did a little bit of cardio(50 min jogging) and when i got home and starded fixing my usual post workout drink ( 2 scoops whey, gatorade and tang) i remember all the things Ive read about post workout nutrition...you know.. High GI ...Simple sugars..protein, all that stuff and i wondered...What if you turn your post workout meal into some sort of cheat meal..you know ..eating food you normally wouldnt eat...like full-of-sugar breakfast cereals...or raisin or some stuff like that...does it make sense???

I have had excellent results using a breakfast cereal (and other foods) as part of my postworkout meal instead of a dextrose/whey supplement. I feel that this is adequate because such a meal promotes an anabolic response and restores glycogen stores.

Glycemic index is a measure of quality, not quantity. It indicates the blood sugar response 2-3 hours after consuming 50g (usually 50g, sometimes other values) of non-fibrous carbohydrate. Increasing portion size increases blood sugar and insulin response, such that a larger meal of lower glycemic carbs may have a larger insulin response than a smaller serving of high glycemic carbs. A larger serving of cereal can produce an adequate insulin response, like the smaller servings of dextrose/maltodextrin found in post workout drinks. Furthermore the milk in cereal and other dairy have an unexpectedly high insulin index. They are low GI, yet they cause insulin responses that are greater than all but the highest GI foods (baked potatoes, maltodextrin, etc).

A second important requirement of a postworkout meal is to refill glycogen reserves. Studies suggest that the GI of the carb does not influence the rate of glycogen refill. Quoting Bryan Haycock,

"Studies have shown no difference between different types of carbohydrates eaten post exercise and the rate of glycogen replenishment as long as sufficient quantities of carbohydrate are consumed (Burke 1997)... These studies tell us that the rate-limiting step in glycogen replenishment after exercise is not in digestion or the glycemic index of a given source of carbohydrate. Over a 24 hour period it is the total amount of carbohydrate consumed that is important."

A quick digesting/absorbing carb source like dextrose/whey drinks may begin the process sooner, but the rate and total glycogen replenishment is more related to the total quantities of carbs consumed. This does not mean that you waste the postworkout window by eating whole foods, like cereal. An adequate preworkout meal can have the nutrients in place. Again whole foods can substitute for whey/dextrose.

Personally I dislike the sugar rush associated with a traditional post workout drink. In the past I have had issues with headaches and feeling sluggish later. This type of sharp spike and quick low is also associated with a number of medical problems for some. A breakfast cereal containing meal has some glucose, some fructose, some starch, some fast digesting/absorbing protein, and some slow digesting/absorbing protein. It quickly supplies nutrients, yet continues to supply nutrients a couple hours later, so eating a meal 2 hours later is not necessary, as is often recommended when consuming whey/maltodextrin type supplements.

Answering your question, having a traditional postworkout shake may offer some benefit, but I believe this benefit may be insignificant in terms of muscle gains. In my opinion what is most important is that the meal is eaten as soon as possible after the workout, and the meal contains adequate carbs + protein. Some sugar is acceptable and may be beneficial in the postworkout cereal, but I would recommend sticking to lower sugar type cereals.

Ironman8
07-15-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by papaoso2k1
What about raisins, I think they have a High GI and are full of sugar and potassium

Well actually raisins have a GI of approx. 65 so I would try and find something with a higher GI.

Holto
07-15-2003, 11:00 AM
sometimes when I can afford to eat the extra cals I have my normal post w/o shake and then a McDonalds bacon double cheese burger

it's the only time I feel my body makes good use of the meal

you have to be pretty low on cals for the week to afford 1000 all at once though

bradley
07-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by aka23
A second important requirement of a postworkout meal is to refill glycogen reserves. Studies suggest that the GI of the carb does not influence the rate of glycogen refill. Quoting Bryan Haycock,

"Studies have shown no difference between different types of carbohydrates eaten post exercise and the rate of glycogen replenishment as long as sufficient quantities of carbohydrate are consumed (Burke 1997)... These studies tell us that the rate-limiting step in glycogen replenishment after exercise is not in digestion or the glycemic index of a given source of carbohydrate. Over a 24 hour period it is the total amount of carbohydrate consumed that is important."

A quick digesting/absorbing carb source like dextrose/whey drinks may begin the process sooner, but the rate and total glycogen replenishment is more related to the total quantities of carbs consumed. This does not mean that you waste the postworkout window by eating whole foods, like cereal. An adequate preworkout meal can have the nutrients in place. Again whole foods can substitute for whey/dextrose.

While I agree with what you are saying above, a carbohydrate that is digested/absorbed quickly will cause a faster insulin response which will help bring the body back into an anabolic state faster than a whole food meal.

How much of a difference will this make, is the question. I agree that the main thing is making sure that you are taking in enough carbs and protein post workout, to refill glycogen stores and provide amino acids for muscle recovery and repair.

Some individuals also would have a hard time stomaching whole food immediately post workout and a shake provides an advantage in this aspect as well.